Can MOOSE binders actually be a bad thing for a new teacher?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 1, 2008

I was planning on using MOOSE binders (actually iPod binders) with my 5th grade class this year. Obviously, from the title of my post, this is going to be my first year.

I'm beginning to worry these binders might actually be a hinderance for me, as it's one more thing to keep up with. I'm worried I won't check them everyday like I'm supposed to, or that parents won't check them at all, or things like that.

Am I psyching myself out? :lol: I really can't decide what to do! I still need to buy/make the pencil pouches, and I really want to buy better binders (I bought the .25 poly ones), but I don't know how much money I'll get from my PTA.

Ugh, I hate being so indecisive about everything....

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2008

I'll be going into my second year this year, and I'm doing STAR binders. I've thought about it and thought about it, because our school provides these home to school folders for us to us. It's nice, but I need more organization. I'm really pushing myself to be organized this school year, and figured if the kids are...I have to be! :)

I'm a bit nervous b/c I'll be the only third grade teacher with them, and my team doesn't even know I'll be using them...and we share everything. I think I'm hanging low just to see if they work first...;)

If you think it will be a tool to keep yourself and the kids organized than do it! After I put my mock up together....I now wonder how I survived last year without them.

You never know if you'll be a source of inspiration for other teachers to do the same.

Oh by the way, my WalMart has 1" clear view binders of .97 cents! Hope this helps!

4. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

i really want to do them as well. i don't think that checking them is a big deal. have the students keep them out while they are doing morning work and you can run around and check them or have a student do so. create a place where they can turn them it might be another idea. then you can run through them while they are working quietly. me...i check assignment books while they are doing morning work and eventually let the teacher's assistant check them. just take another 5 minutes on morning work for it! works great.

unfortunately i can't do moose binders yet. i have some collegues stuck in their own way and i still feel i have to conform. besides that our supply lists are made for us (pretty much) and i'm not going to ask for them to change it just for me. so when me and the other newer teacher move to the new building, i'm going to talk to her about them. we'll see.

anyway, i think they can be a great thing.
    LC

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

I'm setting mine up for like a reference binder for parents. I did not put a tab in there for notes from them, so I won't have to check it for those. They can just put them in the red turn-in basket like I've always done. I have tabs for:

Calendars (update once a month)
    Newsletters (update every other week)
    Homework Assignments (update once a week)
    Homework Helpers (add to it whenever I find a resource sheet)
    Returned Homework (students will add to it each night)
    Book Orders (update once a month)
    Class List (never updated, unless we get a new student)
    Class Handbook (never updated)

The items that I'm updating, I would do anyhow. This way they will be in one area for parent reference.

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

I think in 5th grade, you can train the students to do a lot of the binder upkeep themselves. I did them with my 1st graders last year and I felt that they just made more work for me, and I'll be going back to my old way of managing homework and parent communication.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

I know nothing about 5th grade but my initial thought was, shouldn't they be responsible enough to keep up with their own binders? You shouldn't have to check the binders for them at that age. They are going to middle school after they leave your class so better get them ready now :)

8. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I teach 6th grade, they are not as responsible as you think. The are still young and have a hard time with organization. They still need to be guided. 1 teacher on my team used binders, and she said they were a mess she doesnt want to use them this year. I used regular notebooks and they were just as scary. They need to be taught how to organize, it is a step by step process.:)

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

Pisces, why not wait until a couple months into the school year or even the second semester to start the binders? That would give you some time to get a handle on being a new teacher and whatnot.

10. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I used B.E.A.R. binders for the first time last year. They worked great. I had all the parent information in the back so I just had to flip open the front cover to see if work/money or notes were there. My kindergarten students put them in their mailboxes as soon as they came into the classroom. I was showing the books to the parents of my incoming class & they were very excited. One parent said she'd like one for her 7th grader!

11. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I teach first grade. This is my second year and I plan on using them. I check agendas everyday anyway so it won't be a big deal. I think some of my students last year saw students from another class with some B.E.E. books on the bus because they started putting their agenda's in binders! Only about 3 of them did it but I thought it was so cute! That's one of the reasons why I plan using them this year.

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I NEED the organization of the STAR binders because the day can get so hectic, that my 2nd graders can forget where they put their homework, where to find parent notes, where their lunch money is (the stealing of lunch money has been eliminated since I started the STAR) etc. And, my students take home books daily to read for homework and they do a reading response in their notebooks twice a week. So, you can imagine how classroom books could get lost in cars, grandma houses etc. if the kids didn't have a safe place to put them traveling from school to home etc. I teach my students to put their take home books in their STARs at night when they're done reading them and they will know where to find them when they arrive at school to check it back in. I just love using the STAR binders.