Can I...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by allaragallagher, Jul 11, 2014.

1. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

Start selling all my stuff with only a verbal job offer?

I have a few things listed on a swap site that I was selling anyway. There is a big town wide yard sale tomorrow that people kept asking me about. I mentioned I wasn't participating but would be having a moving sale come Aug. 1. I listed my big ticket items and people expressed interest in coming by tomorrow to buy them! I need the money to move and I won't be able to take any of this furniture with me but...

Am I jumping the gun? I don't even have boxes to put my clothes, books, life in!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2014

Personally I would wait. I sign my contract Tuesday and am up for board approval on the 28th. Yesterday I finally went and put an application in for an apartment. I refuse to move until the 29th. If something falls through, I am only out the $50 application fee.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 11, 2014

Part of me agrees with giraffe and says to wait. But I can understand your need to get things moving since you don't have a lot of time.

Do you know when you are signing your contract and if it needs board approval, when that will be?

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2014

I would go ahead, unless you know that everything will be "official" very soon and you can wait until then. I've never heard of waiting to sign a contract except on here. In my area, it just isn't a big deal. Last year when I started this job I went to a new teacher orientation and signed a contract in late July. I was hired in May. Everyone got their contracts at the same time, even if you were hired in February. For my first job, I signed two weeks after school had already started, and for my second I never got a contract at all. People on here say to keep interviewing until you've signed, but in my area that's impossible! If you're nervous, and especially since you're moving, you could contact HR and ask what the official process is/if there is anything left to do before you are guaranteed the job.

6. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 12, 2014

I agree with waterfall. In my experience, contracts don't come immediately after being hired, so waiting is impossible/impractical. For instance, I got hired for my position for next year in late May. I just got, and signed, my contract yesterday, along with all the other new hires.

At my very first school, we didn't get contracts until two weeks after school started the first year.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 12, 2014

How would you feel if you sold all the stuff and then something with the position changed and you didn't get the job? If you'd be okay with that... then I would sell. Don't assume anything!

8. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I will call HR sometime next week if I haven't heard from them. I don't know anything about the timeline or process. I just know I accepted the job. :p

I decided to go ahead and keep selling. If something goes wrong, I'm going to be devastated and depressed. I probably won't care I have no furniture. But I'll have the money to go around yard sales and buy cheap replacements if need be.

Thanks for all the feedback. I got mixed responses on my Facebook too.

9. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

Update: It's a good thing I didn't wait because when I talked with the superintendent today I found out I won't get board meeting approval and be able to sign my contract until four days before school starts!