Can I vent for a minute? Parent Conferences

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Apr 24, 2008

Out of the 18 children in my class, 10 parents were no shows to their conferences. I was here at 6:45 am today and of course another no show. The parent finds me on the yard once the bell rings and asks if we could reschedule. It was very hard to be nice and professional to her.:mad:

Oh this week has made me crabby!

3. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Apr 24, 2008

Let me just add that now I know why I've had such a hard time with this class! Their parents obviously have better things to do then parent.

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 24, 2008

Gwen--

Sorry to hear that you are having a crabby week. It is scary that the apple does not fall far from the tree. Sending you a hug!!! :hugs: The week is almost over!!!;)

Jen

5. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

I know how you feel! I have flakey parents this year too! Last week I had 3 parent conferences with no-shows! Come on - at least a courtesy call would be wonderful!

6. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 24, 2008

I get frustrated, too, that half the time I am a better "parent" to the child than the child's real parent. I always have to remind myself that it's not in my job description to teach parents how to do their job.

On a similar note, I have a story from this week that I frustrates me with how a particular parent is. (WARNING: Not for the queasy-stomached) Yesterday one of my boys was in the bathroom (in our room) an extra long time. When I asked him if everything was okay, he said yes, so I waited a little longer. A few minutes later I asked him if he felt sick and he responded, "I had an accident." I said that's okay, come on out and we can get you some new clothes. He had BM all over him and it was green. I think that due to my calm reaction, the kids didn't tease him at all and I just said, "We all have accidents. The nurse has extra clothes just in case." So half an hour later he comes back to the room in all new clothes, but still covered in the odor. I know his single-mom parent is not always the best at making sure her kids are taken care of, so I told him before he left to make sure that someone knows about his dirty clothes in his book bag because they can't stay in there. Today he showed up in the exact same outfit the nurse gave him yesterday, even down to the boxers that were too big for him (the only extras she had) and hanging out of his shorts. It's obvious the child wasn't bathed. I asked him if his dirty clothes were still in his book bag and he said, "No. I made sure to take them out last night."

It breaks my heart that this little guy is forced to be so independent, and that in even troubling circumstances he is not cared for. It's not fair, but back to this thread, I can't teach a parent how to parent.:unsure:

7. repete8

repete8 Companion

Apr 24, 2008

We have had 4 Parent/Teacher Conference nights. They are held from 3p.m. to 9p.m., but we get the next day off. Anyway, this last go around, I only had ONE scheduled and didn't show. So that would be a big ZERO parents showed up.

8. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

Hi,
    In my opinion you need to report this incident in the very least to your principal or on campus social worker. I would follow up. That is neglect. Unbelievable!
    This child needs someone to open his parents eyes. Single parent is no excuse. I am a single mom and I have no problem making sure my child is clean!
    Wow. Good luck.

9. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 24, 2008

I have reported it to the school nurse, who is serving as a witness to everything. You're right, though, I should follow up with everything tomorrow and see if she's documenting it. I can always bring things up to my guidance counselor as well, since she is our "go-to" person with custody issues. I have a hard time getting involved with domestic issues, so I appreciate your advice to nudge me along.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 24, 2008

One of the other teachers held a report card until the parents showed up for a conference (administration encouraged her to do this). The parent didn't bother until it was time for the next report card 9 weeks later :eek: It stinks that parents just think that we can be available when it is convenient for them. They don't understand that coming in extra early and staying really late is no fun for us either and having a sub for one random hour in the day is hard to find and even harder to recover from (teaching-wise).

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2008

We have conferences next Tuesday. I have 10 children in my morning Pre-K class. Three parents have signed up. I know there is still time, but geez what is the matter with these people?!

12. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I feel your pain! I had a parent earlier this year who scheduled a conference knowing that she wouldn't be here for it because she would be 30-45 minutes away and not back in town until 2 hours after the time that she scheduled the conference for. In short, the husband called me 30 minutes after the wife was supposed to be there to find out if I spoke to her that morning and told me he didn't know why she scheduled the conference, she was out of town all day and wouldn't be home until at least 5 or 5:30. Parents!

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2008

I was just saying to my husband how sad it is that I have 11 kids with special ed plans (out of 40) and so far, at their annual meetings, less than half of the parents have bothered to show up. This is after responding to the invitation that they would be there. We ended up (with permission) finalizing the IEP without their input and sending it home to be signed. These kids are four and are already struggling with some aspect of their growth and development (hence the IEPs). And, even at this early stage, the parents just can't be bothered to come to school and see how to help them. What is going to happen to these kids by the time they are in 4th grade??

And, as a further part of the frustration, each and every kid whose parents didn't show live within walking distance of my school (very few of our "home" kids, not transferred in just because of the PreK program ride a bus because 95% of them live within walking distance), and when we called them, every single one was at home, but "couldn't come."

Kim

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

Such a big difference in "couldn't come" and "wouldn't come"!

We're the only link to how society functions for many kids. Maybe through education they can get out of a generational inheritance of apathy!

15. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Apr 25, 2008

It's sad that so many of us have this experience with parents.

Kimrandy1-you must have incrediable patience. I could not handle 40 4-5 year olds! My 18 5 year olds have exhausted me this year.