Can I Still Teach In A Cahrter School Without A Certificate

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by delcour, Jul 1, 2006.

1. delcour

delcour Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

Hello everyone I am a future PE teacher who attended THE GREAT FLORIDA TEACH IN on June 7. I was offered an authirization to sign an employee contract by RICHARD MILBURN ACADEMY'S MELBOURNE SCHOOL. I applied for a temporary florida certificate but was not eligible for that because they said my college program lacked 4 courses that they require. My bachelors is in PE SKILL ACQUISITION NOT TEACHER PREP, however i was told by my university I can still teach with this. My question is I am hearing that because it is a charter school i can still be allowed to teach there,i plan on taking the Florida professional certificate test in October I have to get certified anyway, can anyone out there help me with some advice, perhaps some of you do teach in charter schools? I did some research that says in regards to the "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT" in Florida it applies to the core classes only such as english, math, science, social studies, etc. Physical Education is not a core class. I hope i CAN RECEIVE SOME GREAT ADVICE.

3. delcour

delcour Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

please forgive mybad grammar skills in this post, no i am educated even though it appears i don't know how o spell lol lol!!!!

4. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

It depends on the school. Some charter schools require their staff to be certified, some do not. Beware of charter schools. Some are WONDERFUL!!!!! Some are not. Research the school. How long has it been open? How long do their teachers stay? Meet with the administration, does their philosophy match your own? I have seen some charter schools that are wonderful and that I would love to teach in. Then there are several people I know who worked in charters that were horrible. Two women I know worked in schools where they got a call one day that said "we just closed, we don't have the money to pay you what we owe you, sorry." And that was that...no job, no paycheck, and all their students uprooted.

Also, some public school districts do not accept charter school time as experience. So say that you work there 5 years and then move to public, it's their choice to start you as a first year teacher on the pay scale.

Okay, sorry to those charter teachers -- I KNOW there are lots of good ones, I just want to make sure the poster knows both sides.

5. delcour

delcour Rookie

Jul 1, 2006

Thank You Richard Milburn Academy has been around 26 years, plus why would i have been offered a job right on the spot

6. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 1, 2006

WOW, I'd say double check with the school, make sure they'll allow you to teach without a contract and go for it!