Can I start buying now...save receipts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 12, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

I don't want to ask anyone at my school this question because we just got out of school for our summer vacation and I don't want them to think I am already planning for next year...which I am!! :haha:

Has anyone bought things in the summer and then kept the receipts for your refund(for your teacher money?)

Or is it too early? I know we are each getting about $150 to spend in PTA teacher money funds.

Anyone done this?

3. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

I save receipts for tax deduction purposes.

4. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 12, 2010

We have to have purchase orders so we can't take in receipts before getting a purchase order. The items are charged to the school and they can't be charged without a p.o. I did this last year and was not able to use any EDF money. It wasn't much though, but I learned my lesson. I wouldn't be hesitant to call the school or your someone at the supt. office. I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering that question.

5. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 12, 2010

My accountant told me that they were going to be getting rid of the $250.00 you can claim on taxes for being a teacher. Not too sure if this is accurate or not. Why does it matter if they think you are planning for next year or not?

6. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Miss W, we were told that our funds are being cut again. Last year we were reduced to 200 and this year will only receive 150. So maybe you all will get something. Times are tough. :unsure:

7. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

I'm not an accountant (I'm a big fan of Turbotax :).) However, saving receipts of work related expenses is always a good idea. :D

While the $250 teacher deduction is expiring, there is a chance it could be renewed by congress.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

I know that we cannot submit any receipts for anything purchased outside of the school year.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

Because they think I'm crazy for staying late and getting to school early all the time. They just think I go overboard. I don't know why.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

:eek::eek::eek:
    Always trying to screw with teachers. We can't catch a break!:dizzy:

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I get it. I'm the same way. I can't help that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my work!!!!!!!!!:lol:

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 12, 2010

I'm buying things this summer and I will be able to get the money back when school starts. There were only 3 of us at school today, but last Thursday there were about 10 of us. I'm not alone in my madness, and I bet you aren't either! :D

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Call the board office.
    We have to use a po. We also have to get admin approval ... so, buying now and saving receipts wouldn't work for my district.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

I think the poster was talking about the fed tax refund, not the amount given by her school.

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

I've never received any money from a school to spend on my room...except 1 year in a Catholic School I think. I keep all my receipts though and itemize every year. It's scary to see how much I spend on school stuff. :eek:

16. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 12, 2010

:yeahthat:

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

We can't buy without a PO. So anything I purchase now is out of my pocket. You might want to check before you purchase too much. Plus we are only allowed to purchase certain items. I know that we aren't allowed to purchase printer cartridges, furniture, or clocks...just to name a few. Plus they have to come from one of three stores.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

We can only order through office depot, so If I want to buy something from anywhere else I do it on my own dime, which I don't mind. I would definitely ask first. Make sure if you are going to keep receipts that you can at least get your money back.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

I think anyone at your school would be thrilled that you are planning ahead. There are great sales going on already so you can get great bargains and really stretch that $150. Could you get in touch with the PTA board and ask if they have timelines regarding receipts?

20. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

I'll call my school tomorrow and ask. There is so much I want and need to buy.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 13, 2010

We used to be able to turn in receipts for reimbursement, but they stopped that at least 10 years ago. You can save receipts to take off your taxes as a business expense if you itemize. I never itemize, so it's not beneficial for me.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2010

Way back when I actually had money to spend, it had to be with-in the fiscal year. I can't remember if it is August 1- July 31 or July 1 - June 30 for us.
    Anything purchased before then wasn't able to be reimbursed.

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

We have no money to spend so everything is out of my pocket. I think it shows that you are excited about teaching if you are planning ahead. I sometimes plan ahead before the end of the year.

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2010

I can, and do... but I'm always having to decide if it's a purchase that I want to have as my personal property or something I want the school to reimburse.... that is limited in the amount so I end up deciding at Christmas and end of the year which ones I'm turning in and which ones I'm not. I keep anything school-related in a different section of my wallet... as long as I remember ;) I prefer to buy stuff over the summer when it's on sale than pay the exorbitent prices in catalogues :) (I can't justify the catalogue prices for crayons when I can get 24-packs for a quarter over the summer!!!)