can I see your welcome letters

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by caligirl880, Aug 9, 2007.

1. caligirl880

caligirl880 New Member

Aug 9, 2007

This is my first year teaching and I am feeling totally overwhelmed. I was hoping to see an example of a welcome letter.

Thanks

3. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I am going to send home a Newsletter with all the info they need. It really isn't a welcome letter. It is more of a welcome newsletter.

4. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I'm new also . . . and feeling overwhelmed. In case it helps, here's my letter.

Dear Parent or Guardian,

I would like to welcome you and your student back to school! I am very excited to be here with your children, and look forward to a successful and fun year of learning. I hope to challenge all of my students to perform at their best levels in language arts and in life.

I believe that each student is an individual. What is best for one might not be best for another. So, in order to challenge students as individual learners, I need your help. I have created some questions, which I hope you will answer, to help me get to know your child from your perspective. Please answer in as much or as little detail as you feel comfortable, and have your child return these questions to me by Thursday. I hope to use these questions as a tool to help all of my students. In the interest of the students, I also encourage you to contact me at anytime should you have any questions or concerns.

In class today, your child received a class syllabus that outlines classroom rules and procedures for the year. For homework, they have been asked to go over this syllabus with you, and return the slip below with your signature and theirs. It is important to me that you know what is going on in class, and what expectations your child will be held to throughout the year; your signature simply ensures that you have been made aware of these expectations.

This year is sure to be an exciting and challenging one for all! I hope to meet you soon, and hope that your child will have a successful and rewarding year in language arts!

Best wishes,

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

Mine is like Hamster's. If you want to see it, PM me and I can e-mail it to you.

6. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 9, 2007

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

Hi Caligirl! What grade will you be teaching?

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

Here's mine...I'll be teaching 3rd grade this year.

August 6, 2007
    Dear Third Grade Students and Families:

Hello!! I hope you have had a wonderful summer and are getting ready for our 3rd grade school year. It is hard to believe that school starts in a few weeks! I hope you are excited like me.

Our bulletin board says “3G Is Out of This World!” because I know we are going to have a great year! We have many things to look forward to this year. You will learn about the Earth and solar system, the United States, multiplication, and much, much more! We will also have reading logs, classroom parties, and a class store.

For the first day of school, please bring the following:
    • one 2-pocket folder (any color or design)
    • one 1-subject notebook (any color or design)
    • pencils (yellow #2)
    • two glue sticks
    • a bottle of Clorox wipes
    • a box of tissues
    • 1 or 2 paper towel rolls (empty)
    • a pencil box or case to stay inside the desk
    • a package of AA batteries

On the first day of school, I will provide a box of crayons, other two pocket folders, other notebooks, erasers, scissors, and a small bottle of glue. If, for any reason, you cannot purchase these items, please contact me before school begins.

This year, we will be using community pencils. I ask that you please consider keeping fancy design pencils at home to use with homework.

Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I look forward to seeing you soon!!

Love,

Miss _____

PS- Don’t forget to bring your summer math and reading packets with you on September 5th, our first day of school!

I also list my contact info at the bottom. And I put cute clip art at the top (its an apple picture) and write "From the Desk of Miss G-".

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

By the way, I send mine out with the school letters in August (just stuffed the envelopes Wednesday!) and then I give a more detailed letter about my expectations and such on the first day of school that goes home with the kiddos:)

10. acalitcher5

acalitcher5 New Member

Aug 17, 2007

I am a new 5th grade teacher too..thanks for the advice

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 17, 2007

Kid Letter
    August 22, 2007
    Dear
    My name is Miss *******, and I am so excited to be your teacher this year! If my name sounds familiar, it is because I taught second grade last year. I am thrilled to make the move up to third grade with you, and I look forward to seeing many familiar faces in Room 503. I have been busy planning our year together, and I know that we will have tons of fun learning and working together this year. I hope that you had a fun summer, and I look forward to hearing more about all your summer adventures!
    Our room number is 503. You can find our room by going past the cafeteria, and going up the stairs by bathrooms. Once you get to the top of the stairs, turn right. Our classroom is the third classroom on your right.
    I would like to meet you on Tuesday, August 28th at 6:30pm. Please feel free to bring your school supplies and put them in your desk for the first day of school! I can’t wait to meet you and your family, and I look forward to spending some time with you before school begins!
    Our first day of school is Wednesday, August 29th. Inside this envelope is a brown lunch bag. I would like for you to take some time before the first day of school to decorate your bag with your name, pictures of your favorite things and things you like to do. Then, I would like for you fill the bag with things that represent you! You can put in a picture of you playing your favorite sport, a picture of your family, or a souvenir from your vacation. We will all be sharing our bags, myself included, so we can get to know each other better. I look forward to seeing your “ME Bag” and hearing about the things you placed inside it.
    Enjoy your last few days of summer vacation! I can’t wait to meet you. See you soon!

Love your third grade teacher,

12. new2englishII

new2englishII New Member

Aug 18, 2007

Please Help!

I'm interested in knowing the details of the questionnaire you sent home with this letter. I was thinking of doing something like this as well, but could not come up with the right questions to ask the parents. Please help!

13. teachertime

teachertime Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Hi Cali, Hope this helps. Use what you can. Good luck

Dear Parents,

I would like to welcome you and your child back to school! I am very excited to be here and look forward to a successful, fun year at _________ School.

This year in Language Arts, our students will experience growth and new discoveries in the realm of reading, writing, journaling, grammar, and spelling. I believe these learning tools are a vital means to your child’s future successes in life. It will be an awesome time as I will help guide each student through these new adventures.

In my class, we will focus on different reading experiences. The written word helps us to explore every aspect of communication in both our personal and future professional life. From the moment school begins, we are going to get in the driver’s seat and take off for a great destination—the world. Throughout the year, we will keep an even pace with the curriculum, then coast to a smooth stop at the journey’s end.

As a way of introduction, my name is ____________. I am blessed with four children, two dogs (Penny and Sadie), and a wonderful husband. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Education – Language Arts. Two words to describe me would be enthusiastic and optimistic.

I believe this will be a tremendous year, and I am thrilled to be a part of the school’s commitment to excellence in education.

Again, welcome.

Sincerely,

14. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Here's an idea for all that my Classroom mgmt professor gave us that I really liked:

Since not all students live with parents and it is too cumbersome to write: Dear parents, step-parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, etc... I just write "Dear families,"

She said that before she started doing this, she actually had a few calls from the "know-it-all" type ppl saying that their student didn't live with the parents, and it wasn't right to just say Dear parents. I hope this idea helps. I noticed one of the other poster's letters says families.

15. darlindg

darlindg Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Hi -

Thanks for posting your letter. It has helped to give me (also a new teacher) a better idea of what should go in the letter. I was very interested in seeing the questions you give the parents regarding their child's learning style. Would you mind posting them?
    Thanks.

16. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Aug 27, 2007

darlindg:
    I am a new teacher as well and was planning on doing a parent questionnare. I would love to see your questions!!
    THX