Can I participate in spirit days?

Discussion in 'High School' started by weno88, Jul 20, 2007.

1. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jul 20, 2007

When I was in high school, most of the teachers dressed up every Friday during football season for "spirit day."
    As a young, brand new teacher I know it is important to look professional, but at the same time I want to support the athletes and show some school spirit.
    Some days it is easy to do both (I can dress nicely and wear a lei for Hawaiian day), but what about the other 9+ weeks and homecoming?

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I dress up!!! I am in the younger grades but even in highschool I would!! I think it shows you relate to the kids!! Like you said you can be professional about it!! For PJ day you wouldn't wear something inappropriate but you could wear funny pants, some slippers and a t shirt. I wore my white robe over jeans and a shirt!! It would be hard for me to belive that a school wouldn't allow their teachers to dress up. Just my opinion.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2007

Talk to some of the other teachers in your school. They will let you know whether or not it's okay to participate in those spirit days. In the middle school where I teach, we are encouraged to dress up on spririt days. Last year, I was "crowned" Mrs. School Spirit at our Spirit Week pep assembly. :)

5. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jul 20, 2007

:) Thanks! I couldn't imagine them not allowing it, either. How boring! I think we can dress up. I just worry a lot about blending in with the students.

That's great, Mrs. R! I think the students really appreciate it when teachers show so much interest and support.

6. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I love to dress up during Spirit Week. We have crazy hair day, Prom Day, PJ Day, Hat day. So much fun. I almost seem to get more respect from the students by dressing up and showing school spirit then being a "wet blanket" like some of the teachers who don't dress up. You can show your kids that you can be fun and still have high expectations from them.

7. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Heck yeah!!!

I think teacher participation increase school moral. In college I had a professor that would say, no matter WHERE you teach, you HAVE to be the BIGGEST fan! Get into it and have fun!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

I second the "heck yeah!!!" :)

I once had a co-worker dress in silk short pjs with lace for a special day. I called that shot days before hand, the little...

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

Of course you can!

Kids AND administrators love it when teachers show their school pride.

10. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Our school does prizes for classes that are dressed up. If the teacher is dressed up it counts as though 2 students are dressed up.

11. justjoyce

justjoyce New Member

Jul 28, 2007

Why not? Go for it! :). Some schools have policies though. My school lets teachers show spirit (and encourages them to) on fridays. The other days we're expected to look professional...