can I lose my job for this?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Jan 13, 2013.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jan 13, 2013

I want to be a special ed teacher, I met a guy on facebook, I thought he was cute so i gave him my phone number. Then, he sent me a bunch of naked pictures and he keeps being perverse?// i don't send him any pictures, I only texted him introducing myself. Like hi, my name is ( first name) (last name) I met you on facebook, and he said a wholelot of perverse things to me, followed by naked pics of himself-- I know teachers have to be upstanding citizens ---- could I get in trouble for this ( i haven't sent him any pics or said anything perverse to him).?????? I'm always aware of my image. I don't want him black mailing me. would i lose my job for this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2013

Are the naked photos and perverse messages on your FB?

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 13, 2013

You shouldn't get in trouble if you didn't send any pictures. you can't be responsible for what someone does. But you need to
    - delete the pics right away if they're on your page
    - delete the messages if they were sent in a message
    - unfriend him
    - block him - this means he can't ever contact you, or have anything to do with you.

As far as phone calls, if he calls you you need to tell him to leave you alone.

5. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jan 13, 2013

no, he sent them to my phone. they are naked pics of himself.... i just met him like yesterday.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2013

I think that you need to have better sense than to chat with strangers and give them your full name. You won't get fired because some guy sent you pictures of his junk, but you might get fired for other things later on if you don't demonstrate better decision-making and common sense.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jan 13, 2013

If it's not too nosey to ask, how did you two "meet" on Facebook?

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 13, 2013

I chat with strangers and give my full name all the time. I don't really understand meeting people on Facebook because I'm set to unsearchable and only friend people I know in real life. But when I meet people in real life, I often exchange phone, email, and full name with them. I would avoid meeting folks on Facebook if they weren't a friend of a friend.

9. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jan 13, 2013

he sent me a message. he said he thought my profile pic was pretty and added me as a friend on facebook. so i was flattered, and accepted his request.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2013

You need to make your page more private. Now.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 14, 2013

Yeah, make your page more private.

Mine is only searchable to people in certain groups (My colleges that I have attended) and only friends can find my page in search

12. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jan 14, 2013

yeah, i am deleting him and blocking him from facebook. I may even change my phone number.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 14, 2013

Yeah, you REALLY need to be smarter about these things. There are weirdos everywhere. You need to have better judgement about who is safe to talk to. Just because someone tells you that you're pretty doesn't mean they're worthy of your phone number.

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jan 14, 2013

Lesson learned in this case.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 14, 2013

Probably not a need to change your phone number, but you might want to have your provider block HIS number (Verizon provides that for free for a certain number of numbers for a certain length of time). Most likely, he'll get bored after a few days and find someone else to harass. If you're that squicked, consider reporting the unwanted messages.

16. BehaviorDiva

BehaviorDiva Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

You took the words right out of my mouth. Being a special Ed teacher requires an immense amount of responsibility and common sense.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

Real life is different from online. Do you give online strangers your full name? If so, I really believe that you should stop doing that.

I really don't think that there's anything wrong with chatting with people online or meeting people online. I met my hoosband online--not on a dating site but just on a random chat site (ICQ, if anyone remembers that). I think that online chatting can be a fun way to meet people, but you've got to be safe and smart about it.

18. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Jan 20, 2013

I'm probably showing my age here, but whenever I see teacher/student drama in the newspapers, the words "texting," or "Facebook," or both always seem to be included. Now I admit I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am smart enough to maintain my privacy with roughly 320 students in my classes. That means no Facebook, not one of my students (or their parents) have my cell phone number, my private land line would be next to impossible to find, and the only email they're familiar with is my District email address.

That's all from lessons learned by my wife, who is in her 13th year of teaching.

19. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

Wow, I'd be inclined to report him to the police. I think it sounds really creepy. If he's sending unsolicited naked photos to you, that's bad.

20. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jan 20, 2013

:agreed:

21. geegee1981

geegee1981 Rookie

Jan 21, 2013

Please dont use your real name on facebook and make your page and pictures private. People post too much of their bussiness online.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 21, 2013

I use my real name on FB, but I keep my profile as private as possible and refuse friend requests from current students. I'm difficult to find if you're searching for me, PLUS there are a bunch of other people with my name. On the other hand, my immediate supervisor is one of my FB friends, so that keeps me pleasant with my comments about my profession.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2013

Turns out our mothers were right. Don't talk to strangers.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

I remember ICQ! I was on there too, and actually met a boyfriend on there once.

^^ This.

26. Autism Speaks

Autism Speaks New Member

Jan 30, 2013

Change your phone number :)