"Can I go to my locker?"

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jessi.lewis, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jessi.lewis

jessi.lewis Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I survived my first year of teaching -- YIPPEE!!!!! :) Now, thinking about what I want to do differently for next year, I'm wondering if anybody has found a good classroom rule dealing with preparedness?

I have a certain student who forgets his book/notebook/etc. every single day, and asks if he can get it from his locker. What makes it tricky is that this student doesn't really care about his grade, so docking points probably won't really help the situation. Also, I have thought about doing the 3-pass-per-semester coupons, but what happens when he uses all 3 and still doesn't have his book?

I need a good rule that is fair to everyone, allows for a couple mistakes, and gets this boy to class prepared!

Any suggestions are always appreciated! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

"Nope, I'm sorry, you can't.

But I'll expect to see you this afternoon after school to make up all the notes you miss in class today. "

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

I give three passes each semester also for everything -bathroom, locker, and anything else. Once those three passes are gone (and they actually have to hand my their pass and if it is their locker they can leave but it will count as a tardy), if they leave my room for any reason they recieve a tardy. At my school, finals are based on absences and tardies and students recieve Saturday school when they have over 8 tardies. It works fairly well for me. For students that continue to not bring materials to class, I do occasionally write refererrals to the Dean. I also have a postcard I made at vistaprint that I send home to parents letting the parent know their student continues to show up with the required materials.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Several of us write the list of things they need for class on a whiteboard (10x12 size) and put it in the window. As students approach our classrooms, they see what they need before they come in. If they don't look and forget something, we say "sorry". They learn very quickly to check that they have everything before coming in.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

I suggest the 3 passes and when those are used, use Alice's response (above). If he doesn't comply (he doesn't show), office referral.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

Yes, this is a case of needing a one-on-one intervention. This is when you pull the student aside, privately and say, "Look, Bob, I've noticed that you are asking to go to your locker every single day, and that is simply unacceptable. I need you to come to class with X, Y and Z every day so that you can get started on time with the rest of the class. No exceptions. If you come to class again without your supplies, I am going to have to... (whatever your school/class policy is)."

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 2, 2009

You could always hand him a piece of paper without saying a word. He probably doesn't want his notebook, he wants an excuse to wander the hall. If he doesn't get that break he'll probably give up trying after a while.

9. jessi.lewis

jessi.lewis Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Thanks for all the great suggestions .... another question: When he uses all his passes and sweet-talks one of the girls into giving up one of theirs, do I let that slide?

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

No - because you keep the passes and each student only gets three. I file mine in a regular index card filing box. Once three are used - no more

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

I give my students three bathroom passes a semester, but it's in the form of a stamp (thank you, VistaPrint) that I stamp inside the composition notebook they're required to have in class every day. No notebook, no stamp, no bathroom visit.

12. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jul 2, 2009

I am going to use the 3 passes and thats it in my classroom this year. I love the stamp and without the notebook it is just to bad idea! Thanks for the ideas!

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

I also post the text book needed for class each day, they are always supposed to have their binder, I have extra paper/pencils in the back of the room. I don't generally allow students to go to their lockers unless there is a really good and substantiated excuse. If they are going for a HW paper I tell them get it to me later - put it in the late/missing tray before 3 or it is counted late. I don't like having to keep up with passes. I have a general rule of no bathroom breaks in my room unless it is an absolute emergency. THe kids conform.

14. azure

azure Companion

Jul 5, 2009

I think 3 passes is too generous. They don't "forget," they just want to wander the hall and get out of class. Tell them what they must bring to class every day (book, paper, pencil. . .). Don't loan them anything. They must learn to be responsible. Call parents. If they say they left their assignment in their locker and you're collecting it, I tell them I'll accept it ONLY if they bring it to me immediately after class.

15. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

That's what I tell my kids. I teach 5th grade, but we rotate and lockers in the hall. Might as well be middle school. Anyways, I tell them that if they don't have it during class then they WILL meet me from 3:30- 4:30 after school to do the work then. Kids hate it because they want to go home. Has solved a lot of problems.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

In general I have extra books, paper, and pens in my room. I tell the kids that if they have everything they need as we start, even if they have to borrow it from me, then I count that as prepared. So, if they forgot their book, but quietly get up and get an extra without making a ruckus, or yelling out "I forgot my book!" then that's ok. Typically the kids will make sure they have what they need before we start. But when the materials I provide are gone, I just tell them too bad.

If it was every day, though, I would probably pull the kid aside and talk to him, and then call parents if I have to.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Kids at lockers make noise, and it's disruptive to the people teaching nearby.

If a kid comes into my room at the change of periods and asks to go, it's fine--he's not causing any interruption. But after that bell has rung it's a different story.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2009

I do not allow students back into the hall to retrieve something from their lockers.

19. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Jul 6, 2009

That is my guess...I would do like others suggested, the three pass thing (not just locker, but for bathroom too)...you have to be careful, cause if you let one student go all the time to their locker then there is a good chance that someone else will want to and could become a big mess...although that is probably more likely to be a case in elementary school than high...but it is something to consider...and it shows consistentness on your part

20. azure

azure Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I think you mean consistency.

21. azure

azure Companion

Jul 8, 2009

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

For those of you who keep kids after school to make up the notes, I have a question. What if that child is a bus rider? What if that child needs to be home to take care of the youngins? What if you can't get a hold of the parents/guardians, do you still keep the child after school?? Or something similar? I have only taught kinder and fifth, but am working to teach secondary. So, I am very interested about this. I have never kept a child after school because of these sort of questions. I did pull kids during lunch break (and by pull, I mean, I hunted them down during lunch time :))

23. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

I am not allowed to keep students after school. I can write referrals and the deans can assign students to either Tuesday detention or the dreaded Saturday school - think Breakfast club :) I also am not allowed to keep students in at lunch.

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

I honestly don't fight this battle. As long as I am not teaching at the board, students are allowed to go. If they abuse it they lose the privllege. Banning bathroom use in your class just creates a problem for the teacher who will have your kids after your class. I just don't think banning bathroom breaks is a way to promote mutual respect, my students get treated like people, as long as they don't abuse it.

25. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

Well, I do something that many disagree with, but here it is:

My finals are killer (apparently), so I give chances throughout the year for them to earn bonus points. I do passes as well. They get 3 to go to their locker (they use their agenda for the bathroom). If they have all 12 by June, I give them +5 on their final exam.

If they are never late all year, +5. Late once, +4, and so on down to late thee times.

26. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

This is exactly why I don't keep kids that day the detention is assigned. I arrange for them to come in on a different day to make up stuff, or to just serve a detention.

27. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Amen Brendan--even in kindergarten I let my students go when they need to go. I remember in high school it was like running a marathon just to get to the restroom between classes and then make it to class. It's good to see things from the students' perspective just to keep it real, even though I know there are bound to be abusers--but possibly it's better to deal with them on a case by case basis.

28. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

I am with Brendan on this as well. I did the three passes in the past and it worked fine, but... I am currently teaching at a school that does not allow for "after school" detention.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

In my school, the kids do stay after school-- very few of our 2500 kids actually take the "early" bus home each day. And to be honest, once I've said that once or twice, it's a non-issue for the year. The kids learn to ask as soon as they get to class, before the bell. Or they borrow some paper from a friend and manage to take notes that they eventually staple into their notebook.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

Locker use was a huge issue at my MS - so we came up with locker times. Before school, lunch period had built-in 5 minute break for lockers, and after school only. No excuses, no passes, no nothing. Worked wonderfully for us. My HS didn't have lockers.

31. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

All the 6th grade at my MS has a policy related to responsibility. If a student comes to class not prepared with pencil, notebook, textbook, etc they lose a responsibility point. When they lose 4 for a particular class, they are written up according to a school wide policy. These can also be for behavior issues - 3 gets a letter home, 5 is a detention

32. quesoqueen

quesoqueen Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

can you describe what the stamp looks like...I am intrigued by this idea.

also, I'd love to hear from others out there how many passes should be given during a block period (ie 2 or 3 class periods each with a break in between where they leave but return to the same classroom)...does 3 per trimester still seem reasonable?

33. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

Personally, at my high school almost every student takes the bus. When a student is given a teacher detention (mandatory before a write-up in most cases), we are told to give them the choice of the same day or the next (typically, I try to be a little more lenient if they ask). Students get out at 1:50pm. The normal bus is at 2:00, but you can keep a student after for the last bus, in which you dismiss the student at 2:30pm. I haven't heard of any teachers pulling students during lunches in my school; some students will ask to makeup tests during their lunch. That's okay, but since the school has a strict no food in the classroom policy, and most kids buy their lunches, I don't think we'd be allowed to pull a student from lunch for punishment. I don't call parents about detentions; the policy is, miss a teacher detention, it's an automatic write-up and administrative detention. I honestly think some kids try to get out of it that day hoping I'll forget about it.:lol:

34. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

In my school, we are not allowed to allow students to go to lockers during class. We are also not allowed to refuse to allow them to go to the bathroom - unless they've been caught abusing the privilege, which typically means an AP or NTA catches them in the hall somewhere they shouldn't be. It also means that a lot of kids ask to go to the bathroom and drop by their locker on the way through. I struggled with this last year. I had students who consistently asked to go to the bathroom- and after a certain point I tried to limit them to times per week or tried to say, in a few minutes and hope they forget (it's what administration tells us to do). It didn't work too well. I think that this year I will just make it clear the first week that "no lockers, it better be an emergency for the lav", and already have a signout sheet for when some of them try to abuse the lav (we do have hall passes, but since we share rooms, sometimes they'll disappear for a day or two because another teacher snagged it by accident). What I think I'll do is, as it becomes a problem, I'll tell the kids "One lav trip in my class a week" and have them signout on MY sheet, too. Then, when they ask, it'll be a simple matter of, "I'm sorry, but you already went this week". That way I am not quite refusing allowing kids to go, but they aren't abusing it too much in my class.

35. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2009

It's just a VistaPrint self-inking stamp that says "Bathroom Pass" in script. Because I stamp the inside of the required notebook, I can see how many they've used.

I can't really relate to the block period question, but I would think that three per trimester would be enough.

36. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I just wanted to chime in. When I was in high school (just a few years ago), I had teachers who used the three pass rule. I HATED it. Heres my thinking... If you only use the passes for locker trips, three is excessive. I like Alice's suggestion. Kid's should know what to bring, and if they don't they will have to figure something else out. Of course, there will be exceptions but for the most part, its just an excuse to get out of class. But I completely disagree with the three pass limit for bathrooms. I can remember times that I wouldn't have an extra pass and REALLY needed to leave. Teachers would just say- too bad. I just think that is wrong. I'm not saying that kids should be able to go whenever they need to, but there has to be a better way. Teachers who say "not when I'm talking/teaching" are on the right track, and I like the stamp idea too. There will be students who abuse this, and I think you deal with those kids separately.

Sorry if that came out a little harsh, I just had some downright cruel teachers in high school who used this method and to me, it isn't okay.

37. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

futureteach, I try to keep them within the three pass limit, but of course I'm flexible. I'd never keep a student who seemed to be in distress from the restroom. I'll ask if they can wait a couple of minutes, and I can usually tell from their reactions whether they really need to go or if they just want an excuse to get out of class for a few minutes!

38. quesoqueen

quesoqueen Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

ah excellent! so you just stamp it every time they leave? that's easy and brilliant. thanks!:thumb: