Can I give Tylenol and cough syrup?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TamiJ, Feb 4, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

My daughter is sick. She had a fever last night. I am giving her Tylenol to reduce the fever, but we also bought Vicks cough syrup. Can I give her both? The back does say to consult a doctor if taking another medicine. I am not sure who to contact here, and my DH is at work...

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2011

Check the ingredients in the cough syrup. If it has acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen in it I wouldn't.

Actually, can't you give some kind of lozenge for the cough? Those should be okay.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

Fever plus coughing? What other symptoms? And how old is your daughter?

Are these the medicines you've got in the house?

What are the active ingredients in the Vicks?

Cough syrups usually treat multiple symptoms - this can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing: if the kid's got a cold, a mild decongestant can be a good choice but an antihistamine (which is indicated for allergy) may not be.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

Eeeh...My daughter is 9. The ingredients are listed in Spanish, but I think Acetaminophen is the same word, or similar (I remember seeing it listed on something when we were looking for fever reducers at Walmart last night). I think I am going to play it safe and not give her the cough medicine. I think I'll just brew her some tea instead.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

Steam is likely to help, yes.

Is she congested, or what?

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

Thanks for the translation! TG, she doesn't seem to be congested. It's more of a dry cough. With the Tylenol, she is feeling much, much better. Last night she had no appetite, today she is eating again, but still coughing.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

So it's just the cough and fever? Is she sniffly at all?

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

Yes, actually. She has been a little sniffly, at least prior to her getting really sick. I am not hearing too much of the sniffles today, but I am hearing some.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2011

TG-she has also complained of being tired, and having a headache.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

Best bet is probably what you're doing - warm liquids, and maybe a warm bath into the bargain - plus the cough drops that 3Sons suggested (or hard candies, if that's what you've got: the idea is to coat the throat).

You might find this helpful: http://www.pediatricweb.com/nspeds/bartarticle.asp

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

Best bet is probably what you're doing - warm liquids, and maybe a warm bath into the bargain - plus the cough drops that 3Sons suggested (or hard candies, if that's what you've got: the idea is to coat the throat).

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

Hm. Sounds like her body's fighting something off. The cough could be from postnasal drip.

15. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Feb 4, 2011

I second what someone else said - if the cough syrup doesn't have acetaminaphen or ibuprofen in it, you can give it with Tylenol. To be on the safe side, I only give my kids Robitussin for coughing and then I know I can also give them Tylenol. This is a strange way to relieve coughing, but I have found it works for dry coughs. Rub Vicks vapor rub on the bottom of the feet and then put on some socks. For some strange reason it really helps - both in my kids and for me.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

My standard meds for cold are

- plain generic four-hour pseudophedrine hydrochloride (which most of us know as Sudafed - or, in these naughty days, phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride), which is a decongestant

- the generic version of Dimetapp's most bare-bones elixir (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride plus brompheniramine maleate - the latter is an antihistamine)

By day, I'll take half an adult dose of Sudafed, because a full dose has me climbing the walls, and by night I'll substitute half to three-fourths of an adult dose of Dimetapp so I can sleep.

17. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

Don't give Tylenol to young children. The latest research indicates that it causes asthma.