Can I get some help to get started in the field?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JennyErv, Nov 9, 2014.

1. JennyErv

JennyErv New Member

Nov 9, 2014

As a broke college student in my tiny apartment. I want to get on the career train and become a sub and a teacher along the line. Problem is I asked for a nomination from a family friend who is a principle, turns out she isn’t very knowledgeable with computers and she told me the email she sent the nomination to and it was completely wrong. I said it’s okay just send it to my right email and she claims that I’m in the system with that wrong email address. I have never worked with the Board of Ed, and I’m ripping my hair out trying to find a solution.:dizzy: Can you guys please tell me back if you have any clue how I can just fix my email in the system.:eek:hmy:

3. JennyErv

JennyErv New Member

Nov 9, 2014

Hi
    I want to get on the career train and become a sub and a teacher along the line. Problem is I asked for a nomination from a family friend who is a principle, turns out she isn't very knowledgeable with computers and she told me the email she sent the nomination to and it was completely wrong. I said it’s okay just send it to my right email and she claims that I’m in the system with that wrong email address. I have never worked with the Board of Ed, and I’m ripping my hair out trying to find a solution. i don't have many connections and she doesn't like to be bothered with me anymore. Can you guys please tell me back if you have any clue how I can just fix my email in the system.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 9, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, JennyErv.

Your threads have been consolidated and moved to the Job Seekers forum. A to Z Forums policy strongly discourages multiple threads at the same time on the same topic by the same member, on grounds that the discussion is more valuable and easier to follow if it all happens in one place.

5. JennyErv

JennyErv New Member

Nov 10, 2014

If you were a substitute at one point..

This is the only post I have open so please don't close it before anyone can answer.

Got a year left till I get my BA and I want to start substituting for middle school. I had gotten a nomination but never got the email, the principal told me the email he used and it was misspelled and was not my personal email. He said he could not edit it and that my name was linked up with that false email.

SO what I am asking is, how can I change my email thats linked to my name. who do I go to, or what system do principal's use to nominate prospects, maybe I can contact it and find out. Thank you, any advise is greatly appreciated!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2014

The forum frowns on multiple posts in different areas about the same subject. I would reach out to the following link to see if you can get a real person to speak to you: http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/contact.htm.

If it has truly been months, I am afraid that I doubt the principal actually nominated you, because it would seem that he would want to follow up and fix a problem. You can give him the benefit of the doubt and ask very nicely if his secretary could follow up on the nomination and help correct the faulty email address. As a principal, he has to know that without the valid email address the nomination is useless, since you can't move forward in your quest. I don't know why he might have said one thing and done another, but I would consider that a real possibility. If he can't/won't help remedy the situation, I would seek out another principal to help you with the mandated nomination. Since NJ has a different system, and no need for a nomination, this is where my expertise ends. I would ask the principal what email address he put into the system, so that if you do get a real person on the phone, you will be able to confirm what has happened, and increase your credibility with the DOE.

Some people will say yes to a request, but not really be comfortable with actually endorsing a person. Instead of being honest, they take the cowards way out, blaming a clerical error instead of honestly declining for whatever reason. I would seek a new principal to assist you, being very honest that you have been trying to salvage what seems like a mistake to that you can finally move forward in the process. Perhaps your persistence will impress someone who actually will help you move forward in the hiring process.

I wish I had more information and advice, but this is all I have at the moment. If you are sincere and dedicated in your desires, you should be able to find someone else to endorse you and make your dreams come true. Best of luck to you - if teaching is your dream, it is worthwhile to pursue it. It is a lousy get rich fast scheme, but if it speaks to your heart, it will grab hold of you and compel you to be persistent. I hope that there is something in this message that will help you. :unsure:

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 10, 2014

I don't know anything about the nomination stuff...I don't think we have that in my state. I also don't know about your state. Look into your state laws...for my state, for example, we have to have a bachelor's degree and take a basic skills test. Then you can apply for a sub permit. Find out what you need to do, make a plan, get your permit, and then start applying to schools districts.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 10, 2014

This is NYC you're talking about? I think they are the only ones who require nominations. I agree that you will have to speak with someone at the DOE or someone in charge of subs? This seems like a technical issue that nobody here would know how to fix unless they've gone through it themselves. Good luck!

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Nov 10, 2014

Call HR Connect 718-935-4000.

Nothing can be done with your application until they correct your email.

Also you say you are almost done with your BA? Here you have to have a BA to sub. You also need certification or you can't sub more than 40 days.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2014

Jenny...learn from your principal contact's error to always proofread any official communication with school districts.