Can I get personal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Oct 14, 2018.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 15, 2018

I'm with a2z - late isn't in my vocabulary or actions. I have that long drive down to a science (no pun intended). I know when the busses run for the HS, MS, and ES in the districts I drive through, and where trafic might bog down at specific times. I don't mind the drive, but I don't like being in my car going nowhere, stuck in stalled traffic. Going somewhere with my son is pure torture - I am sitting, waiting, more waiting, and then he wonders why I am not excited by the time he finally makes an entrance.. He apparently can be on time, but just chooses not to be when he is going with me. I don't understand the disconnect between being on time vs. being late and how that is received by others. I have no idea if it is a new culture, but I find it frustrating, so I try to just nap through it..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

I'm so tired just reading this thread. And happy to be retired.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 15, 2018

Now you're just rubbing it in. ;) There are times when retirement sounds good, but not quite good enough - yet.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

I purposefully wake up far earlier than I need to, either for school or on weekends, to give myself quiet down time before interacting with others. Around 6:15 - 6:30, I wake up, shower while listening to NPR, shove in my contact lenses, and get dressed if I am dried off enough. Usually I will head downstairs in a bathrobe with my hair in a towel. Then it's breakfast for the guinea pigs and a double espresso for myself (I don't eat hay with them) while I read the comics page and advice columns. If I time it right, I'm ready to get dressed and at least put on light face moisturizer by 7:00. Then I go back downstairs, hair still wet, and have some cheese or mixed nuts for breakfast while working the crossword puzzle. By the time I finish that, it's time to make another double espresso to wave under Rockhubby's nose. Once he's awake, then I'll dry my hair, CAREFULLY brush my teeth so I don't get gunk on my clothes, and throw on a little mascara.

This is the relaxed version of the day. If I'm running super late, I'll throw my hair in a ponytail, guzzle my espresso, and do the crossword puzzle at my desk at school (which is non-negotiable).

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

I hate being late. I have a very low opinion of people who are consistently late (emergencies aside). I have to clock in to work by 8am per contract but if I'm not in school by 7:30 I reprimand myself for being so lazy and late!!!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

I sometimes shower at night because we only have one bathroom. If I shower at night I can take my time and leave the conditioner in my hair for longer which I really need!

7. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 15, 2018

I tend to agree here. My school starts at 0730 but I'm usually there by 0630 or so...which is probably how I got roped into bus duty this year.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 15, 2018

I can be out the door in 15 minutes if need be, but it is usually closer to 30.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2018

I set my alarm for 5am and I get out of bed at 5:30. I am usually out the door by 6:30. I choose my outfit the day of which takes time and I also have to take my dog out and feed him. :)

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Oct 15, 2018

6:25 alarm
    Brush teeth, wash face, put in contacts, put on makeup and clothes
    7:15
    Feed cats, make coffee (to go), make lunch, make breakfast & eat it (all at once / multitasking ftw)
    7:30
    Head out the door
    7:45
    Arrive at work

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 15, 2018

See I love it when you guys let me be all nosey and in your business. It's interesting to note the differences. It seems like there's a bit of a division either you take time to do nothing (quiet time) or you're up and out the door in under an hour.

ms.irene and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

Never really thought about it. I can adjust my morning to the time. My alarm goes off at 6. I don't shower daily, usually, but I might. I like to be out the door by 7:30, though traffic doesn't demand I be out the door until 7:45.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

You don’t shower daily?

Serious question: You actually put that forth?

Backroads likes this.
  14. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 16, 2018

A lot of people don't shower daily. That doesn't mean they don't clean the important parts.

A lot of people have issues with severely dry skin. Plus, if you aren't perspiring a lot, general washing works fine.

Now, I personally hate not showering daily, but I don't have the dry skin issues that other people I know have.

Serious question: Why are you so rude?

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

I'm not Australian (apparently the country that showers the most). Utah's a pretty dry state.

Seriously, for the average person unless they're getting gross, daily showering isn't advisable.

ETA: I'm actually more ashamed of putting forth I don't work out often enough to need to shower everyday. :D