Can I get personal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 15, 2018

See I love it when you guys let me be all nosey and in your business. It's interesting to note the differences. It seems like there's a bit of a division either you take time to do nothing (quiet time) or you're up and out the door in under an hour.

ms.irene and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

Never really thought about it. I can adjust my morning to the time. My alarm goes off at 6. I don't shower daily, usually, but I might. I like to be out the door by 7:30, though traffic doesn't demand I be out the door until 7:45.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

You don’t shower daily?

Serious question: You actually put that forth?

Backroads likes this.
  4. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 16, 2018

A lot of people don't shower daily. That doesn't mean they don't clean the important parts.

A lot of people have issues with severely dry skin. Plus, if you aren't perspiring a lot, general washing works fine.

Now, I personally hate not showering daily, but I don't have the dry skin issues that other people I know have.

Serious question: Why are you so rude?

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

I'm not Australian (apparently the country that showers the most). Utah's a pretty dry state.

Seriously, for the average person unless they're getting gross, daily showering isn't advisable.

ETA: I'm actually more ashamed of putting forth I don't work out often enough to need to shower everyday. :D

6. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 16, 2018

I mean a lot of folks don't shower daily. I don't care if my husband showers mon-wed but he'd better be showing Thurs-Sun mornings when he gets off work before he crawls in my bed with his nasty butt.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 16, 2018

My dermatologist suggested I shower once a week due to my dry skin issues. He said that people bathe too often. I can’t do once a week, but I can do every third day. I do wash the business parts daily.

ms.irene, Backroads and Aces like this.
  8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 16, 2018

I don't shower daily. Most of the time but not always. Sometimes I get home late and skip it in favor of sleep. Now with a little one at home, it's sometimes just not in the schedule. I wanted to take one last night but she took two hours to fall asleep. By that point I felt like a zombie and just went to bed myself.

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 17, 2018

Understood.

And the last sentence is hysterical. I love it!

Backroads likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 17, 2018

I used to work with a girl who said she took a French shower. Just sprayed perfume on herself most days LOL

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2018

That sounds like some of our grade 7 and 8 boys--just spray enough body spray and you smell great (gag!).

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2018

I shower daily....kids are germ factories. I also take my school clothes off as soon as I get home.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2018

Interesting thread! :) My morning routine is pretty much the same when going out for a fun day like on a Sat as it is for work. I just have to wake up at an (earlier) specific time & have less time to get ready on a work morning. I'll describe for a fun free day:

- Wake up...no alarms then for the most part
    - Probably get on computer &/or have TV on
    - Take shower, put on makeup, & get dressed

I don't really eat breakfast on ANY day on a regular basis. I've never been a breakfast person really, but on an occasional free day, I will. Also, I'm definitely NOT a coffee drinker...never drank coffee, never will, so I don't need it to "function" or "get the day started".

Since it's a fun day, I'll eat somewhere while I'm out. (If it was a work day, I was never one for eating a full meal at work, so I'll eat lightly & more than likely bring home food on the way home from work for dinner.) No matter which day it is, I take off makeup & change into lounging clothes the second I step back into the house.

14. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 18, 2018

What a lot of people don't realize about my prosthetic leg is that it takes me a bit longer to shower because of it. So I wear my regular leg into the bathroom, where I have a chair to sit down at. Here I take my regular leg off, put on my shower leg. Then I can take a shower. Then when I get out and dry off, I go back to the chair, take off the shower leg. I wash my stump off and dry it off really good. Then I put lotion on it to help with the dry skin. Then I can put my copper sleeve on, gel sleeve on, socks on. Then my pants go on and roll up the leg. Then I can fit my leg on and lastly the black sleeve on top and then the outer sleeve.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 18, 2018

Since your showering routine takes more time you'll just have to get some other tasks done more quickly OR get up earlier. It's basically a time management issue since you can't change the time you're due at work.There's someone at my job that comes in late EVERY day. I mean, not 2 or 3 minutes. More like 15-20 minutes. With a Dunkin Donut coffee cup in her hand. There might be a very acceptable reason for this but I have no idea what it is.

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2018

That does sound time-consuming! If you're having trouble getting out the door in a certain timeframe, I would try timing your routine and giving yourself enough time to do everything without feeling rushed. I did this for myself when I had a long commute and had to make every minute count! Here is my routine now:
    6am -- wake up and work out in the living room (I am still doing the BeachBody workouts, two years later!)
    6:45 -- shower
    7:00 -- get dressed, pack lunch and school bag
    7:15 -- makeup and hair (I have this down to a science!)
    7:30 -- drink coffee, eat breakfast (yogurt w/fruit or granola, or instant yogurt), cuddle with my dog on the couch
    7:45 -- leave for school
    8am -- get to school
    This rarely varies by more than a few minutes since it's just a routine at this point.

17. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 18, 2018

Uh thanks but I'm never late... To anywhere... It's not a matter of time management, nor was it a matter of complaint. Mostly just being nosey about people's routines.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 18, 2018

I get up early enough to have time to scroll through Instagram and Facebook while I eat breakfast. I make eggs with fruit on the side every day. I take about 30 minutes to make & eat breakfast, with a little bonus scrolling time. I like my morning to feel like I've had some 'home time' before I go to work. Then I get ready for the day - about 25 minutes, depending on if I'm blowdrying & straightening my hair. I don't shower every day, so that 25 minutes can vary. I usually leave the house 1 hr 15 minutes after getting up.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 19, 2018

Ok, I thought you were looking for tips on how to get out of the house faster. It is definitely an interesting discussion to see what people do every day.

Aces likes this.
  20. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 19, 2018

No worries! The whole thing that prompted me being nosey was my husband fussing before we went to the Red Sox game Sunday – not that I really pay him any mind to start with...

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 19, 2018

LOL that's funny because in my house I'm the one fussing at my husband to HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!

22. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 19, 2018

Haha as the rushed, I can honestly tell you he probably pays you as much attention as I pay mine!

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 19, 2018

The last time we had tickets to the dinner theater I told him it started at 6pm when really the tickets said get there by 6:30 and dinner starts at 7. LOL That's the only way we can get places on time!!!

Aces likes this.
  24. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 19, 2018

See I'm one of those people that I'm never late to anything. I'm usually 45-60 minutes early to uh everything. I swear it comes from being in the marching band. Oh practice starts at 5 but you need to be here at 4.30 to get unpacked..,

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2018

I get up at 6:30 and I am out the door by 7:30 most days. If daughter or husband has any kind of major meltdown then I can assure you I am late. I live about 3 minutes from school so it's not that difficult to get to school. I do like to be early but I find that as I get older I am cutting it closer and closer to the time I need to be there. I am not sure why that is happening. I used to be a full 15-30 minutes early for everything.

26. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 19, 2018

I can be up and out the door in 15 minutes, but having to wait for the wife to get done with her makeup and stuff slows me down considerably. Of course, she also makes a delicious breakfast and she's super-cute, so she makes up for it.

27. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2018

I used to get to school an hour before kids -- now it's down to minutes, LOL! I think every year I get more confident/less anxious and need less time to prepare mentally.

txmomteacher2 and Aces like this.
  28. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 19, 2018

I am usually at school at least by quarter to seven, sometimes half past six. I prestage my stuff for the day whatever I may need. Grade papers, put in grades, help students, that sort of thing. Most of my students know I'm usually there before/after school so if they need extra help they can either stop by early or stay late and just come find me.

29. msaly

msaly Comrade

Oct 19, 2018

I am NOT a morning person. I shower at night, and I don't eat breakfast.
    My alarm goes off at 6:45am but I snooze til 6:55am.
    655-705- brush teeth, makeup, get dressed
    705-710- make morning tea
    710-720- walk the dog
    725- out the door