Can I get personal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Oct 14, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 14, 2018

Anyone have good breakfast ideas before work? I’m not a very creative cook and tend to eat the same things for breakfast.

2. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 14, 2018

I’m up between 5-5:15, then I do a workout in the living room. 6:00-6:25 is shower/ get dressed time. From 6:25-6:30 I’m waking up the kids, then it’s off to wash my face/ dry my hair/ put on make up, all while hollering random reminders to my girls to be getting dressed, brushing their teeth, etc. At 6:45, my husband gets home from the gym, and I’m almost done on a good day. He then makes breakfast, either eggs or a protein shake, and between 6:50-6:55 we’re both eating while I start my coffee/ fill water bottles/ make sure afternoon snacks are packed. My 5 year old insists on doing my cream and sugar every day, so that saves me 30 seconds. . We load the car and leave at 7:05 most days. It’s a crazy, busy morning, for sure!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

I don't cook anything more involved than scrambled eggs on a weekday morning. Breakfast is usually a toasted English muffin or bagel with peanut butter or plain Greek yogurt with berries and sliced almonds.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 14, 2018

I can get ready to go anywhere in under 30 minutes. On a typical school day, it is usually 20.

I put out clothes the night before. I also shower, pack my breakfast/lunch, and make sure anything else that needs to be ready to go is ready. That means mornings just require me to make the bed, take meds, brush teeth, makeup/hair, get dressed, put on jewelry, grab my purse & lunchbox, and leave. I eat breakfast at work.

I enjoy sleep, so I’m not going to extend my morning routine more than necessary.

czacza likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

Muffin pan omellettes
    Hard boiled eggs
    Go gurt
    Mini muffins
    Bananas
    Handful of almonds
    Overnight oats

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

Oatmeal is easy and easily changed up. I cover the bottom of a microwaveable bowl with uncooked regular raw oats, add just enough water to moisten all the flakes, then microwave for 90 seconds; those who prefer their oats creamy rather than chewy are welcome to add more water and microwave for more time. Finish the oatmeal with something dairy, broadly construed (cream, half and half, milk, yogurt, soy or nut milk, etc.) plus something for flavor and sweetness (maple or agave syrup, white or cane or brown sugar, jam or preserves, fresh fruit, even pomegranate molasses or Torani syrup). Or go Scottish and season with butter and salt and/or pepper: it's better than it sounds. Alternatively, add spices to the raw oat flakes before microwaving: a dusting of ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cardamom, commercial pumpkin-pie spice, even dried or fresh herbs.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2018

I shower at night so my husband can use the shower in the morning. I don't wear makeup, so that saves time. I can be up, dressed, and out the door in under 15 minutes.

8. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 15, 2018

I need an hour to get ready in the morning and I don’t exercise or take a shower or do my hair or make/eat breakfast in the mornings. I don’t even know why it takes me so long to get ready when I’m not really doing much.

9. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 15, 2018

My alarm rings at 6 am. I try to wake up then and take my dog for a walk. I have a second alarm for 6:30 in case the first one doesn't wake me up. (but then I can't take the dog for a walk, but she has a fenced in back yard to run around in while I get ready). I shower at night, so I get dressed, pack my gym bag, basic hair and makeup, basic hygiene (toothbrush, deodorant, etc) and I'm out the door by 6:45. I eat breakfast and coffee at school. I get there early to get things done before the daily rush begins.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah, it takes me a while to function. I'm a snooze hitter. Then I'm still dragging but til my caffeine kicks in.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 15, 2018

I can be up and out in under 20 minutes, but I do like to take time to relax before getting ready. I understand liking to take that hour of me time in the morning, but it must be built into the getting ready schedule and built around other things that need to be done prior to going to where I am going.

Since I believe that on-time is late, I always build in extra getting ready and there time. I really hate being late. I'm usually the one waiting on others to be ready to go. It is frustrating, especially when they are doing non-essential things and pushing the schedule to the last minute.

vickilyn likes this.
  12. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Oct 15, 2018

I take about 45 minutes from out of bed to out the door. Up at 5:15 - shower, dressed, makeup - make my son's and my lunch by 6:00. Only thing not on is my shoes. I actually don't need to leave at that time, but then I have time to get my 13 yr old moving, eat a leisurely breakfast, watch news, etc. In a pinch, I can get out the door in 20 minutes from alarm to car. I am always waiting for my husband and son. It takes my son 30 in the shower. It drives me nuts.

13. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 15, 2018

My kids (I have two who go to the school where I teach) , hubby and I all take our showers at night. We also get all of our clothes picked out, ironed and ready the night before.
    5:45-6:10- Get up and get dressed.
    Wash face.
    Fix hair.
    6:10-6:30-Make breakfast for me and watch a little morning TV while I eat. I make three eggs over medium with toast or else I'm ravenous by 10:00.
    6:30-6:50-Brush teeth and put on makeup.
    6:50-7:00- Wake up kids and have them get dressed.
    7:00-7:10- Fix kids' hair.
    7:10-7:25- Kids eat breakfast. While they do this, I get their lunches together.
    7:25-7:30- Kids brush teeth. While they do this, I get all of my stuff together (purse, lunch, keys, coffee).
    We are out the door by 7:30. We arrive at the school at 7:50. School starts at 8:15. It's a super tight schedule but we try to get as much ready as possible the night before.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

Get up earlier!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

I get up at 5:40. Jump in the shower. Come out have coffee then get dressed and dry hair. Then leave by 6:45 or a bit earlier.