Can I get personal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

So I want to be personal and in your business right now. What's your morning routine when it comes to getting dressed and everything? Not just to go to work but in general to get dressed go out to town or to work or whatever. The reason I ask is because my husband and I are going to the Red Sox game later today and he's fussing about how long it's going to take me to get ready.

So for me on a normal school day, I get up drink my coffee watch the news/scroll Facebook/etc. Then shower, shave, brush my teeth (in the shower). Then I get dressed. In the fall/winter when it's chilly I have to layer myself so I can stay warm. I really love fall/winter, but dislike being cold and don't tolerate the cold very well. But for like today, I'll put my sleeve on my stump (it's one of those copper fit things for circulation). Then jeans, Red Sox t-shirt, hoodie, jacket, Red Sox scarf. That way I'm layered. The jacket is a medium weight Red Sox fleece. Hoodie is also a Red Sox hoodie... (Gotta represent!). On a day like today, it'll probably take me 30-45 mins to get dressed.

But then on a cold winter day, I have to take extra precautions. So still shower/shave/brush my teeth. Still wear the sleeve on my stump. Then I have thermal underwear that I put on. Then my work clothes for the day whatever they may be. Then I usually have a school hoodie – we're only allowed to wear hoodies in class if they're school hoodies – then a heavier jacket. My winter jacket is one of those 2-in-1 deals that has the fleece jacket on the inside then the outer shell. Then my heavy cloak goes on over that, plus scarf, gloves, and school knit hat. All in all probably takes me an hour and a half to get dressed. Which half an hour of that I crank my truck, let it warm up, clean off the snow, etc.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 14, 2018

Well, you and I are miles apart on preparations to go out of the house. I have it down to the minute on my alarm clock, and I can be up and out of my house in precisely 18 minutes. I will admit to keeping a couple of all purpose sweaters,a second coat, and an extra pair of shoes in my car at all times for unexpected circumstances, but other than that, I spend maybe two minutes laying out my clothes the night before.. I take breakfast with me on the road. I have almost an hour drive, so I don't want to lose sleep time just to fuss over getting ready in the morning. My husband never has to wait for me to get dressed. We both hate waiting for our son to get ready to go somewhere - I try to just take a nap, but his dad gets out of sorts.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Upsadaisy likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

Holy cow! I'm not one of those people that can fall out of the bed and be fully functioning. I used to could because I had to but I take my time now. Maybe an hour to drink coffee then the extra time to get dressed for me.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

I get up at 6:45 and out door between 7:25/7:35. I shower at night. Get up, wash face, brush teeth, get dressed, blow dry hair. Pack a quick lunch (I have lots of easy to throw together salad items), kiss the hubs and out the door with a hard boiled egg and Keurig coffee for breakfast.

Is your ‘stump’ slowing you down? Maybe lay clothes out ahead of time. What you are wearing doesn’t seem too difficult to put on quickly..

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 14, 2018

Well, I don't drink coffee, so I saved an hour right there!

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 14, 2018

Just take your coffee to go. Bring it to work with you to help wake you up.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

An hour for coffee? :eek:

9. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

It does to a degree because it's hard to put on pants with one leg. For pants/underwear, I have to sit on my bed to put them on then I can put my leg on and get that adjusted. I have gel and fabric socks that go with that to firstly secure the leg to my stump but also to provide a bit a cushion for the stump. So my leg has a foot/ankle assembly that doesn't move. So getting it through a pants leg isn't an option because of the bend.

As far as the coffee goes, I look at Facebook the news here etc to get woke up and going. I even grade papers during this time a lot because it's my quiet time.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

I get up somewhere between 5 and 5:15 (I don't set an alarm, so on those rare occasions when I don't wake on my own before 5, the dog running downstairs with my daughter for his walk wakes me at 5:15). I shower, get dressed and do my makeup and am downstairs by between 5:30 and 5:45. I have coffee and breakfast, make lunch, surf the web and catch up on the news for about an hour then am on my way out the door by just after 6:45. I could, easily, be out the door in less than 20 minutes, but enjoy the quiet time before the rush of the day starts.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 14, 2018

6:00am - Get up, check banking information on my phone (checking and savings) and take a shower.
    6:20am - Brush teeth, floss, and rinse with mouth wash. Then, get dressed.
    6:30am - Prepare and eat breakfast and pop in breath mint after eating.
    6:45am - Leave house, lock front door, and get into car.
    7:05am - Arrive to school to begin the day (school starts at 7:40am and teacher’s have to be to school 30 minutes early).

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

In terms of you and your husband- plan for the getting ready time so that you aren’t late and aren’t impacting your time together. And have a talk with him about how you need time in the morning to reflect and gear up for the day....if there’s any way he can help you, let him know.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

Oh but of course! I wasn't fussing about him per se (I don't pay him any mind ;)) but I was mostly just wanting to be nosey about others.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 14, 2018

I am NOT a morning person and have learned over the years that I just need an hour in the mornings on days when I'm washing my hair. It drives me crazy because there is no logical reason that it should take me an hour to get ready, but no matter how hard I try I guess I just move super slowly in the morning. I set out my clothes, including shoes and socks, the night before. I also pack my lunch the night before and I always have my keys in a little bowl by the door.

I set a timer for 10 minutes when I"m in the shower; otherwise I would spend forever in there without realizing it.
    It takes me 50-55 minutes to:
    -Brush teeth
    -Shower
    -Put on contacts, face moisturizer, deodorant, body lotion
    -Put on basic make up (primer, concealer, foundation, basic eye shadow, mascara, chap stick)
    -Dry my hair
    -Get dressed

I don't eat breakfast; I get coffee from our lounge as soon as I get to work.

If this were in the evening- say a weekend or summer day when I've been laying around in my PJs all day and am getting ready to go out and do something with friends, I could do all of the above plus put on nicer/more complicated make up and choose an outfit in 40 minutes without feeling rushed.

I even tried setting a series of timers in the morning and I still can't get any faster. When I don't have to mess with washing/drying my hair (I usually do every other day) I can be much faster. I know showering at night would save me time but I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't feel clean when I wake up in the morning and the shower helps wake me up.

Aces likes this.
  15. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

I shower/shave/brush my teeth in the morning because of the wake me up factor.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 14, 2018

I'm out the door within 30-40 minutes of waking up but I also shower the night before. I spend 15 minutes of that scrolling through my phone. I get dressed, brush my teeth, and brush my hair. That's pretty much it. I don't typically wear make up or anything like that. If we're talking a school day, I also usually make coffee or tea.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 14, 2018

Anyone have good breakfast ideas before work? I’m not a very creative cook and tend to eat the same things for breakfast.

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 14, 2018

I’m up between 5-5:15, then I do a workout in the living room. 6:00-6:25 is shower/ get dressed time. From 6:25-6:30 I’m waking up the kids, then it’s off to wash my face/ dry my hair/ put on make up, all while hollering random reminders to my girls to be getting dressed, brushing their teeth, etc. At 6:45, my husband gets home from the gym, and I’m almost done on a good day. He then makes breakfast, either eggs or a protein shake, and between 6:50-6:55 we’re both eating while I start my coffee/ fill water bottles/ make sure afternoon snacks are packed. My 5 year old insists on doing my cream and sugar every day, so that saves me 30 seconds. . We load the car and leave at 7:05 most days. It’s a crazy, busy morning, for sure!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

I don't cook anything more involved than scrambled eggs on a weekday morning. Breakfast is usually a toasted English muffin or bagel with peanut butter or plain Greek yogurt with berries and sliced almonds.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 14, 2018

I can get ready to go anywhere in under 30 minutes. On a typical school day, it is usually 20.

I put out clothes the night before. I also shower, pack my breakfast/lunch, and make sure anything else that needs to be ready to go is ready. That means mornings just require me to make the bed, take meds, brush teeth, makeup/hair, get dressed, put on jewelry, grab my purse & lunchbox, and leave. I eat breakfast at work.

I enjoy sleep, so I’m not going to extend my morning routine more than necessary.

czacza likes this.
  21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

Muffin pan omellettes
    Hard boiled eggs
    Go gurt
    Mini muffins
    Bananas
    Handful of almonds
    Overnight oats

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

Oatmeal is easy and easily changed up. I cover the bottom of a microwaveable bowl with uncooked regular raw oats, add just enough water to moisten all the flakes, then microwave for 90 seconds; those who prefer their oats creamy rather than chewy are welcome to add more water and microwave for more time. Finish the oatmeal with something dairy, broadly construed (cream, half and half, milk, yogurt, soy or nut milk, etc.) plus something for flavor and sweetness (maple or agave syrup, white or cane or brown sugar, jam or preserves, fresh fruit, even pomegranate molasses or Torani syrup). Or go Scottish and season with butter and salt and/or pepper: it's better than it sounds. Alternatively, add spices to the raw oat flakes before microwaving: a dusting of ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cardamom, commercial pumpkin-pie spice, even dried or fresh herbs.

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2018

I shower at night so my husband can use the shower in the morning. I don't wear makeup, so that saves time. I can be up, dressed, and out the door in under 15 minutes.

24. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 15, 2018

I need an hour to get ready in the morning and I don’t exercise or take a shower or do my hair or make/eat breakfast in the mornings. I don’t even know why it takes me so long to get ready when I’m not really doing much.

25. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 15, 2018

My alarm rings at 6 am. I try to wake up then and take my dog for a walk. I have a second alarm for 6:30 in case the first one doesn't wake me up. (but then I can't take the dog for a walk, but she has a fenced in back yard to run around in while I get ready). I shower at night, so I get dressed, pack my gym bag, basic hair and makeup, basic hygiene (toothbrush, deodorant, etc) and I'm out the door by 6:45. I eat breakfast and coffee at school. I get there early to get things done before the daily rush begins.

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah, it takes me a while to function. I'm a snooze hitter. Then I'm still dragging but til my caffeine kicks in.

27. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 15, 2018

I can be up and out in under 20 minutes, but I do like to take time to relax before getting ready. I understand liking to take that hour of me time in the morning, but it must be built into the getting ready schedule and built around other things that need to be done prior to going to where I am going.

Since I believe that on-time is late, I always build in extra getting ready and there time. I really hate being late. I'm usually the one waiting on others to be ready to go. It is frustrating, especially when they are doing non-essential things and pushing the schedule to the last minute.

vickilyn likes this.
  28. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Oct 15, 2018

I take about 45 minutes from out of bed to out the door. Up at 5:15 - shower, dressed, makeup - make my son's and my lunch by 6:00. Only thing not on is my shoes. I actually don't need to leave at that time, but then I have time to get my 13 yr old moving, eat a leisurely breakfast, watch news, etc. In a pinch, I can get out the door in 20 minutes from alarm to car. I am always waiting for my husband and son. It takes my son 30 in the shower. It drives me nuts.

29. minnie

minnie Cohort

Oct 15, 2018

My kids (I have two who go to the school where I teach) , hubby and I all take our showers at night. We also get all of our clothes picked out, ironed and ready the night before.
    5:45-6:10- Get up and get dressed.
    Wash face.
    Fix hair.
    6:10-6:30-Make breakfast for me and watch a little morning TV while I eat. I make three eggs over medium with toast or else I'm ravenous by 10:00.
    6:30-6:50-Brush teeth and put on makeup.
    6:50-7:00- Wake up kids and have them get dressed.
    7:00-7:10- Fix kids' hair.
    7:10-7:25- Kids eat breakfast. While they do this, I get their lunches together.
    7:25-7:30- Kids brush teeth. While they do this, I get all of my stuff together (purse, lunch, keys, coffee).
    We are out the door by 7:30. We arrive at the school at 7:50. School starts at 8:15. It's a super tight schedule but we try to get as much ready as possible the night before.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

Get up earlier!

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

I get up at 5:40. Jump in the shower. Come out have coffee then get dressed and dry hair. Then leave by 6:45 or a bit earlier.

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 15, 2018

I'm with a2z - late isn't in my vocabulary or actions. I have that long drive down to a science (no pun intended). I know when the busses run for the HS, MS, and ES in the districts I drive through, and where trafic might bog down at specific times. I don't mind the drive, but I don't like being in my car going nowhere, stuck in stalled traffic. Going somewhere with my son is pure torture - I am sitting, waiting, more waiting, and then he wonders why I am not excited by the time he finally makes an entrance.. He apparently can be on time, but just chooses not to be when he is going with me. I don't understand the disconnect between being on time vs. being late and how that is received by others. I have no idea if it is a new culture, but I find it frustrating, so I try to just nap through it..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

I'm so tired just reading this thread. And happy to be retired.

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 15, 2018

Now you're just rubbing it in. ;) There are times when retirement sounds good, but not quite good enough - yet.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

I purposefully wake up far earlier than I need to, either for school or on weekends, to give myself quiet down time before interacting with others. Around 6:15 - 6:30, I wake up, shower while listening to NPR, shove in my contact lenses, and get dressed if I am dried off enough. Usually I will head downstairs in a bathrobe with my hair in a towel. Then it's breakfast for the guinea pigs and a double espresso for myself (I don't eat hay with them) while I read the comics page and advice columns. If I time it right, I'm ready to get dressed and at least put on light face moisturizer by 7:00. Then I go back downstairs, hair still wet, and have some cheese or mixed nuts for breakfast while working the crossword puzzle. By the time I finish that, it's time to make another double espresso to wave under Rockhubby's nose. Once he's awake, then I'll dry my hair, CAREFULLY brush my teeth so I don't get gunk on my clothes, and throw on a little mascara.

This is the relaxed version of the day. If I'm running super late, I'll throw my hair in a ponytail, guzzle my espresso, and do the crossword puzzle at my desk at school (which is non-negotiable).

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

I hate being late. I have a very low opinion of people who are consistently late (emergencies aside). I have to clock in to work by 8am per contract but if I'm not in school by 7:30 I reprimand myself for being so lazy and late!!!

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2018

I sometimes shower at night because we only have one bathroom. If I shower at night I can take my time and leave the conditioner in my hair for longer which I really need!

38. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 15, 2018

I tend to agree here. My school starts at 0730 but I'm usually there by 0630 or so...which is probably how I got roped into bus duty this year.

39. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 15, 2018

I can be out the door in 15 minutes if need be, but it is usually closer to 30.

40. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2018

I set my alarm for 5am and I get out of bed at 5:30. I am usually out the door by 6:30. I choose my outfit the day of which takes time and I also have to take my dog out and feed him. :)

41. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 15, 2018

6:25 alarm
    Brush teeth, wash face, put in contacts, put on makeup and clothes
    7:15
    Feed cats, make coffee (to go), make lunch, make breakfast & eat it (all at once / multitasking ftw)
    7:30
    Head out the door
    7:45
    Arrive at work