"Can I do a folder for my presentation?"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.MiddleSchool, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 19, 2014

Hello all.

So, my students are going to be completing presentations the first wee of February. I took some time last week discussing some of the ways my students have given presentations in the past and a lot of students liked the ideas. Some however came up to me with the question, "Can I do a folder for my presentation?"

I will be honest... I have no idea what this type of presentation is. I reluctantly said "yes." The follow-up question from the students was, "How many pages do you expect?" I responded "Certainly no less than 10." But again, I have no idea what this type of project is.

Can anyone explain to me, or direct me to a good place online that can explain what a "folder project"/"folder presentation" is? Private Messages are welcome and encouraged.

Many thanks,

Mr.MiddleSchool

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2014

I've never heard of it. I suspect that several of your students have done these sorts of presentations in other classes, so they're familiar with them. Ask them for details about prior folder presentations, including which teacher(s) assigned them, what the requirements were, and if they still have their old ones so that you can take a look.

In the future, I don't recommend agreeing to allow students to do presentations in a format with which you are not familiar.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2014

Could he mean a tri-fold board?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2014

Probably not if he's asking the teacher how many pages are expected.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2014

Our students put pages on the trifold board, some being multiple pages stapled together which is why I thought about that type of foldable object. Different projects expect different number of pages displayed on the board.

You could be right too since the OP seems to have no idea what the student is talking about. I'm not the type to agree to something I don't fully understand, but that is just me. It could be that the student just wants to put together a paper in one of those clasp folders and call it a day.

7. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 19, 2014

I agree. WHY did you agree to have students complete a presentation that you don't understand?

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 19, 2014

Why didn't you say to the student "I'm not familiar with that type of presentation. Can you describe it?"

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 19, 2014

For anything like this, what I would personally do is have guidelines set up for a "base presentation." If students want to do something different, let them make a proposal... explain what they want to do, how they'll meet the standards, etc. That way, you know exactly what they are going to do, and you can help them out if their proposal won't meet your expectations.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 19, 2014

:yeahthat:

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2014

There is nothing wrong with not knowing something like this. I'm not sure how you came up with the page requirement not even knowing what the presentation will include. That could be way off base. Just ask the students about their experiences.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2014

This.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 19, 2014

I really haven't heard or used that term, although I use to make mini-offices with file folders. They end up looking like small presentation boards (science boards) with 3 sides. So, I'd imagine that might be what the kids meant. Take two folders and glue together with the left side of one folder overlapping the right side of the second folder. It will then stand up and can be folded up. Kind of a neat way to present a project.