Can I brag for a minute??

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by cdorey13, Oct 2, 2007.

1. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Hi everyone! This is my 6th year of teaching but after having a baby a little over a year ago we relocated (back home for me!) so I could be near my family again. That was last fall and I got hired after school started as a temporary teacher for the year... 1st grade. I got a call at 4:30 on the last day of school telling me that I had a job, if I chose to accept it, but they weren't sure which school and which grade. About two weeks before school started I got called to "interview" with some principals, I already had a job it was just deciding where I would end up and there were 4 of us teachers in the same boat. There was a K, two 4th grades, and a 6th grade open. As you can guess, I got the 6th... I was SHOCKED and nervous but this year has been going EXTREMELY well, other than I am studying the curriculum EVERY night! I can't honestly teach it well, until I RE learn it all myself! LOL! Well, today was my 1st formal observation with my "new" principal and I was a little nervous because I really have not been observed to this extent since my 1st year of teaching BUT... the point to this all... IT WENT FANTASTIC! YEAH!! I just wanted to share with fellow teachers my excitement! My principal stayed for 40 minutes and said that she doesn't usually stay that long but she was really enjoying the lesson. She also said that she physically LOOKED for a student that was off-task because she was pleased with how engaged they were, not trying to find a fault! : ) It feels good to start out strong! YEAH! Thanks for letting me brag... sorry, just happy! :2up:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

cdorey, that is GREAT to hear! Congrats on that and the baby!

4. ILovePalmTrees

ILovePalmTrees New Member

Oct 3, 2007

That's wonderful! Isn't it a great feeling when stuff like that happens? :)

Out of curiousity, what was your lesson? I have an observation coming up and I'm lost as to what to do. My principal comes 4 times a year for untenured teachers (I only have 2 left! YAY!), but he tends to come at the same time of the year, so I feel like he's seen it all!!!

I teach Language Arts, Math, and Health.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 3, 2007

Congratulations! My principal has to observe me two times this year, and my mentor teacher has to observe me four times this year. I hope my class starts sitting still longer.

6. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007

Out of curiousity, what was your lesson?

I taught a lesson on Compare and Contrast which tied into what we are working on for our current story in Open Court, Saint George and the Dragon. I put up a picture of a skatebaord and a rollerskate and asked how they were the same, different. (tell a partner, share with the class) Then I introduced the "signal words" used when comparing and contrasting (like, both, similar, different, unlike, as, exc.) They had to write a compare sentence with a partner on their whiteboards using one of those words. Volunteers read their sentences and the class responded with the signal word. Then we did it again with a contrast word. Finally, I bridged from there to our story which has A TON of similes in it and I pulled some similes from the story. We read them, picked out the "signal word" (like, as). Decided what the two items were that they were comparing and then discussed the similes. Started out simple so they got the idea and then pushed them HARD at the end but they did great! It was about a 40 minutes lesson in all.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

Sounds like a great lesson! No wonder you got glowing reviews from your principal.

8. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

Thanks everyone!