can i be the sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ms smily, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ms smily

ms smily Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

well, i have the bachelors degree, cbest and cset maths passed and 3+ yrs of teching experience in another country , so just wondering i i can be the sub ...what are the reqirements for being a sub abd how can i start ...?what can i expect my pay to be ? what are the roles and duties of substitute teacher.. all help will be really appreciated!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2007

Try the state ed dept website for the requirements.

The pay may be listed in the local district website. Otherwise, check local want ads for an idea of what's typical where you live.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

In California, requirements for substitutes seem to be set by the districts. Some county offices of education sponsor substitute teacher training; the version in San Diego County is, I'm told, quite good.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2007

Basically, all you need in California are a bachelor's degree or better, CBEST, a certificate of clearance (background check) and TB clearance. Some districts may set higher thresholds. You'll need to apply for a 30 Day Emergency Permit (look here) which lets you teach as much as you would like, but not for more than 30 days for any individual teacher. It takes the CTC a long time to process these permits. But you can start work once it has been applied for if the district gets you a temporary permit from the local office of education.

Pay varies. Where I am it seems to run between $100 and $135 a day with increases for things like being a retired teacher or being a long term sub (requires a regular credential). Subs can typically work 4 or 5 days a week if they want.

What you do in the classroom will depend on what was left for you by the regular teacher. You might be left a detailed lesson plan which you are expected to teach, you might be left some worksheets to have the kids do to keep them busy, or you might just be expected to baby sit the kids. If you are subbing for more than a day or so, you basically pick up where the regular teacher left off.

6. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Feb 24, 2007

LAUSD

I got this infor from the LAUSD website. To be a substitute in LAUSD you need the following:
    A state issued teaching license.
    Completion of a teacher preparation program, including student teaching.
    Strong letters of reference from the Principal(s) of the last three years of teaching experience and / or the final student teaching evaluation completed within the last year.
    A successful interview conducted by the Certificated Recruitment and Selection staff.
    Fingerprint and health clearance.
    Authorization to work in the U.S.

7. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 2, 2007

I think Malcolm summed it up all quite nicely! ;) :)