Can I ask the school if I'm coming back next year?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

Hello, everyone.

I am working as a long-term sub at a school in New Jersey. I do have a contract, but I wanted to know if I would be coming back in September. I was filling in for a teacher that retired, and I took over her classroom.

Do you think it would be wrong to ask if I will have a job next year? Or should I play the waiting game? I just wanted to know because I got into school for a PhD, and I wanted to arrange my schedule around my job and classes.

Thank you for the advice. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 4, 2021

If you do not have a permanent job your long-term assignment will end when your contract says it will end and you will have to apply for a job next year. You can certainly ask them if you can apply but I doubt they will automatically give you a job.

Iris1001 likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 4, 2021

It doesn't hurt to ask about the position. I've expressed interest in positions I knew would be opening at my school the following year -- I ended up getting a different position, but there were a lot of other factors that went into the principal's decision.

Because you're a sub, I agree with @TeacherNY that you're not guaranteed a job and will most likely have to apply to keep the position next year, but there's certainly nothing that says you can't ask, especially if you're on relatively good terms with your principal. Mention that you'd like to start making plans for the coming school year, and would like to take on your current position permanently if possible.

Tired Teacher and Iris1001 like this.
  5. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Mar 4, 2021

Thanks so much, everyone. I actually did ask the supervisor of humanities, and she said that there are currently no openings in the fall. I'm not having the best day, but at least I got a PhD acceptance letter. I just wish I could settle down in one school. This is my third school, and I feel like it doesn't look good on a resume. :(

6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Mar 5, 2021

Just put that you were subbing and long-term subbing, they are not going to think anything else about it

Tired Teacher and Iris1001 like this.