Can Artificial Intelligence programs carry on a complex written conversation?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by a2z, Feb 20, 2021.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2021

Artificial intelligence and machine learning is rapidly increasing the computer's ability to produce written work for on-line chat for companies to start the customer service process, creative support for writers, and financial documents. These are much beyond the old templates used with word processing programs.

How do you see this impacting education in the future? How do you see this impacting the workforce of the future when computers will be the writers?

3. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Feb 22, 2021

Sounds like a hw assignment to me. Maybe AI will be one more tool to help cheaters not have to do hw ?

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2021

Pisces, I have been here forever. It is not an assignment. However, I was noticing a lot of postings from new people that were very formulaic. It got me wondering if AI can produce this. Then I started wondering after doing some research how the improvements in AI is going to impact education.

So, no. Not an assignment.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Feb 24, 2021

I've noticed a number of bots popping up in threads here. You can usually tell because they often throw in a lot of buzzwords but they don't make sense together. Or they have a very short, general comment. At this point, they aren't convincing. In the future, I am sure students will find ways of using it to their advantage, which is yet another reason that in-person education surpasses remote learning by far.

a2z likes this.
  6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2021

Maybe you were LONG undercover ;D j/k, you've contributed quite a bit.

I don't think AI is at the point of "conversation". Customer service bots are able to do a little bit through keyword recognition and the like where they respond with what are essentially canned responses.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2021

Conversational AI are steadily improving. Other AI programs produce creative writing that may not be perfect yet, but are rather good considering AI is really in its technological infancy.

Alexa is a conversational AI that is improving all the time, but it is really task driven.

Machine learning is ever becoming more robust the more information that is fed into the machine for use in its analysis.

I can easily see a time in the next decade where conversational AI is common. I just wonder if we have researchers and developers using forums for their practice. Not necessarily this one, but why not use forums to try out your new code?
    Thought I would add this article.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  8. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Mar 3, 2021

You are right and I apologize. I wasn't looking carefully at who posted it.
    I have heard of "intelligent tutoring systems" which are the "next-gen" thing next to "personalized learning", which was a buzzword a few years ago. I know that big tech invested hundreds of millions of dollars into personalized learning (facebook invested in a chain of charter schools that adopted personalized learning - https://www.edweek.org/technology/f...nalized-learning-with-charter-network/2015/09 - but as far as I know, that was a total flop that didn't go anywhere. Shocking, I know.)
    Personalized learning is supposed to be a computer getting "smarter" learning someone's inputs and then "tailoring" instruction based on what they got wrong or right.
    I don't buy any of this stuff.
    I doubt that AI will be able to replace a human educator anytime soon.

Here is the latest article I could find about how personalized learning went for the charter school chain - https://www.edweek.org/technology/the-cases-against-personalized-learning/2017/11

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2021

Thanks for providing information. I plan to read it this weekend.

Did you happen to see the Tom Cruise deep fake video going around? It is amazing how real it seems unless you look really closely for anything that might be off.

10. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Mar 3, 2021

I have not seen the Tom Cruise deep fake but I have seen plenty of other videos going around, being passed off as real.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2021

I am amazed at the technological advances which is why I mentioned deep fakes. It all ties together.

With increased computing power and speed, programs that learn the more it is used, and an ever increasing volume of sources to pull information from, I believe in 10 years 15 max, I believe we will see machines that will speak fluently to us and make sense.

12. Nextbrain Technologies

Nextbrain Technologies New Member

Apr 29, 2021

Yes it can, It is called conversational AI and its the set of technologies behind automated messaging and speech-enabled applications that offer human like interactions between humans and computers. Custom AI applications along with tailored AI services to resolve your business challenges.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2021

Nothing like an answer straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

a2z likes this.
  14. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 4, 2021

I vaguely remember seeing something about blogs being written by AI several years back. Every once in a while I come across an article or blog post that is mostly written well, but it just seems off and I wonder if it was written by a computer.

I can see AI being used for practicing certain skills or knowledge -- Duolingo comes to mind for language learning. I don't use it consistently anymore so I could be misremembering, but they do have some new bot/chat features to practice conversation. It's still pretty scripted, but the idea isn't new and has gotten more and more advanced as technology develops.

Generally though I agree that it will be a long time before AI can effectively replace human instruction. Even personalized/adaptive digital learning programs now often require either a lot of trial and error on the student's part or active input from a teacher to help the student understand what exactly they're supposed to be doing. Some of that may just be instructional design issues rather than AI, but it'll be interesting to see how AI progresses in actively monitoring and diagnosing student errors and learning gaps.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 4, 2021

It will be interesting. It will also be interesting to see how the platforms are created. Will it be produced by educators who know grammar and structure or will it be produced by people who love education but may not be knowledgeable enough to ensure the language being digested by the AI process as its base is correct.

miss-m likes this.
  16. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 4, 2021

Slightly unrelated, but this has been my experience of a lot of educators -- they love their jobs and are great with students but lack a LOT of essential content knowledge, or don't understand it deeply enough to teach it well.
    "Educators" and "knowing grammar and structure" are (unfortunately) almost mutually exclusive in my experience.