Can anyone tell me about Mountain Math?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ysalazar, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

How do you implement it? How do you feel about it? Is it worth buying? :confused:

3. tward

tward Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

I have mountain math and I love it. It takes a few weeks to get the students use to how to do each problem...but once they get the hang of it, it is great! My class does #1 on Mondays(#1 has 7parts) #2-7 on Tues. #8-12 on Weds. #13-19 on Thurs.and #20-24 on Friday. This works out to @ 7 problems per day (Some problems have more than one part). It is the first assignment they do, as soon as they get to class every morning (once they learn how). Then we check their papers during Math class. There may be a couple of problems that your children will not yet understand the concepts for...if so just have them skip those until you get to the time of year where you have covered them.
    My school purchased my mountain math... but it is good enough that I am now thinking of purchasing Mountain Language with my own money. It really does a great job of reinforcing what has been taught.

4. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

Thanks for the info. I have heard many positive things about it, and I will be getting some money from the district to purchase things for my class, so I was thinking of buying both the math and the language. Have you actually seen the language one or known anyone that has used it? When you do the math, do the students have a workbook or can they just solve them in a spiral?

5. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

I do not like Mountain Math. I much prefer Drops in the Bucket which does pretty much the same thing, but is more manageable.

With mountain math, you use up quite a bit of wall space. It takes quite a while to get the kids to understand how to use it (particularly in the lower grades). If a student is absent, they can't make it up once you change the numbers. Parents can't really review the papers sent home since they don't have the problems on them. It also requires a lot of set up originally and/or a lot of maintenence. The 'cards' that have the problems on them have to be cut and laminated, then you have to put them in an order that makes sense (easier to more difficult). Then you have to chenge them regularly.

Drops in the Bucket has the same things (with a couple differences) in worksheet form.

Just my opinion.
    Pam

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2006

When I taught third grade, we used the language and the math. We only had one set for the entire grade level so two teachers donated their outside bulletin boards. We kept the cards showing for one week, then we changed the sets. It was really easy to change or even individualize the work for the kids. We used the answer sheet provided with the set except we retyped it so the kids would have more room to show their work.

When we first started, we'd take our classes outside in the hall and answer the questions together so they would know how to do the work. Once they were comfortable with the program, we'd send three or four kids out at a time. We had to limit the numbers since we were sending the kids out in the hall, but otherwise it worked really well.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

I had it at my old school and loved it! Hoping to get the money for it at my new one.

I start out the year with them having to do 1-3 & it is due on Friday. By the end of the year, I have rotated it to where they are doing 15-20 of them a week, once we learn/review the skill. I made it fit on a pretty small bulletin board.

The fifth grade one doesn't take up as much space as the younger grades.

The language one does take up a bit of space as well.

I had co-workers who used it as a station, and put them on o-rings or magnets and set them up on the air conditioner or a file cabinent.

8. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Jul 31, 2006

I like Mt. Math. I used it both in 2nd and 3rd grade. To save on copies I ran the worksheet on card stock and the students numbered their papers and wrote their answers on lined sheet of paper. I normally didn't introduce it until after Christmas, that way we had covered most of the objectives.

9. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 31, 2006

We got rid of Mountain Math in 4th and 5th grades last year. We just didn't have the wall space. Instead the grade levels came up with daily math warm-ups consisting of four questions: 1. STAR released question, 2. End-of-Year assessment question, 3. Mountain Math question, 4. Current standard review.

It took a lot of time to create and we still aren't done, but we were able to tweak it to fit what we needed to work on at the time.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

I like Drops in Bucket more than Moutain Math too. The bulletin board for Mountain Math is a nightmare to set up. I've had to do it 5 times and it doesn't get any easier. Once it's up, don't move it. Such a pain. I've used it in KDG, 3rd and 2nd. It's pointless in KDG. It works better if it's something the kiddos can write answers too. Sorry. I just don't like it.

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

I use it as a math center. I don't put up the entire set just select problems from the set. It takes up just a small amount of space and I leave it for the week. So I add concepts once I have covered them.

12. brett158

brett158 Companion

Jul 31, 2006

I have purchased both Mountain Math and Mountain Language with my own money. I love it! It is so easy to do and I have not found it at all hard to set up like some of the other posters. When I got all the cards I just sat down and cut them out while watching TV one night. Then I got them laminated and did the same thing...watched TV and cut! Took a couple of days, no biggie! I actually have them up on the bulletin board using those magnet clips. It takes up a good amount of space but what else am I going to put up on the walls? Posters? It seems worthy of the space. I have the students do 5 problems a day, I dont grade it, its more of a review, so if they are absent I dont make them do the problems they missed.

13. tward

tward Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

As you have probably discovered by now, from the other posters...there is a worksheet to go with the mountain math. We tweaked ours also, to work better for our kids.
    I also, did not find it hard to set up, and I just change it once a week. I use one Bulletin board for it...and the one I use is high up above bookshelves,and long and narrow...really not much use for anything else

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2006

What's your secret for easy set-up? I'm all for something fast and easy! I have to set mine up still and am dreading it. :D

15. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I Loooooove Mt. Math. I have used it every year. It has boosted my test scores by leaps and bounds. I usually put mine on a peg board. Bought one at Home Deport and my husband mounted it up for me. I punch holes in all the cards and hang them up there. Then every Friday, I just flip the cards. Very easy.
    I also use Mt. Language. This year the school that I am at uses Target Math, (same concept, but more board space) and I'm kind of hesitant about using it, but if it doesn't do the trick, I'm switching to Mt. Math at semester. I will testify by Mt. Math! Love it, Love it, Love it!!

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2006

I love Drops in a Bucket also. You can order it through Frog Publications.

Another math activity similar to Drops in a Bucket is Math 4 Today. It has an assesment piece to it that Drops doesn't have.

17. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2006

I like the peg board idea! Just hang on hooks- love it. Now, if I could figure out how to do it on an existing bulletin board using that same concept....hmm.:confused:

18. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

Can someone post a website so those of us in the dark can see what Math Mountain and Drops in the Bucket are all about?

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2006

I don't know about Mt. math, but Drops in a Bucket can be found at Frog Publications. I don't know how to create a link, so you can just type in Frog publications. Scroll down and you'll see a grade level button. Then just scroll down until you see Drops in a Bucket.

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Aug 1, 2006

I do the same #'s on the same days:) MM is very beneficial to the students. I use it as a part of my morning work. By the time we get to a new concept in Math they have already been exposed to it. It does reinforce the concepts as well.

21. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

what grade do you all teach?

i've used this in 3rd (and liked it), but wonder about 2nd...

22. brett158

brett158 Companion

Aug 2, 2006