Can anyone help me with teaching job info in TX?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 23, 2009.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

I am working on my teaching credential in CA right now, more than halfway through. Husband and I are considering relocating to TX. Dallas are, Austin area. Can you tell me how is the hiring going on in the area right now? How difficult is it to get TX credential if I have a CA preliminary credential?

Actually anything you can tell me about the job situation in the state, area, would be most helpful. My husband is even considering a credential, changing careers, high school or community college. Thanks in advance.

:D :D :D :D :D

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 23, 2009

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

The job search everywhere is tight these days. All though it actually depends on what your certification will be. If you have special ed, ESL or Bilingual you could probably get a job a lot easier. I would look at the region 10 job board for a job near Dallas. Austin area is hard. I went to job fair in Austin a few weeks ago and there were hardly any teaching positions for elementary and the ones that had openings were for ESL or billingual. Stay away from Dallas ISD lots of fiscal issues and McKinney area too. Plano is good. Mequite does quite alot for their teachers in the way of incentives. Northwest ISD is growing growing growing!

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 23, 2009

I recently heard on tv that Austin has the highest growth rate for teachers in the state. So if you're free to move either place, Austin might be the better option. Like txmomteacher2 said, stay away from Dallas ISD specifically - they've had quite a few problems in the recent past.

As for getting your certification, it seems from what I've read here that CA has higher requirements than Texas, so it shouldn't be too hard to get certified for here. The SBEC website (posted above) should tell you everything you need to know. :)

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 23, 2009

Stay away from Dallas ISD. They fire their employees with little to no warning. Stay away from Lancaster ISD because their finances are borderline trouble. Richardson is pretty good. Duncanville and Desoto are ok but they have some academic issues. Fort Worth ISD is having some problems, but not as big as Dallas.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 24, 2009

Not sure what area you mean by Northwest Dallas ISD growing, growing, growing. Can you be more specific about this?

Any other websites you can recommend for me to check out and get a feeling for things? Or other disticts? Frisco? We are somewhat flexibly.

Yes, you guessed it; elementary multi subject.

And how about the future? Is TX predicting a big shortage in a few years due to attrition like CA is?

Thanks, all, for your input.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 24, 2009

I think Houston is the best bet for finding a teaching job...definitely more so than Austin, San Antonio, and then finally Dallas.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 24, 2009

I would think that the Austin area would be saturated because of the university there. ???

10. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

May 24, 2009

Yes; UT Austin, as well as Texas State University in San Marcos, which both have excellent teacher preparation programs, means that there are lots of teachers looking for jobs in the Austin area.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 24, 2009

12. mrm234

mrm234 New Member

May 24, 2009

In respsonse to Frisco, it is a very difficult school district to get into. I have been fourtanate enough to do my student teaching there for the past year and have had 2 interviews.

Frisco does not post their specific openings simply because there is no need to. They have thousands of applicants and it is difficult to get in if you don't have the connections. I have been working very hard to get a job there and even having principals and assistant principals in the district as references hasn't helped as much as I would like.

I will say that districts such a Plano, McKinney, Allen are similar to Frisco! All are wonderful!

13. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 25, 2009

Although there are several major universities in the Austin area, there is always a shortage of bilingual, ESL and special ed teachers. I just checked the Austin ISD Careers site (http://www.austinisd.org/inside/hr/searchresults.phtml) and there don't seem to be many elementary positions, but there are lots of middle/high school openings. The school district and UT just had their big job fairs, so many positions may have been recently filled. There are several other districts in the area, including Manor ISD, Lake Travis, Eanes, Round Rock, and Cedar Park. Not to mention the city's various charter schools.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 28, 2009

There were several districts in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that were hiring. You should check out Lewisville ISD, Coppell ISD, Northwest ISD, Garland ISD, and Plano ISD. I met and/or talked with some really nice folks associated with these districts. These all seem like quality districts and put children first.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 28, 2009

What do you think is the best way to contact these school districts? Or to find out about any openings?

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

Check their websites is the best way to start. After that, send out cover letters to principals and make phone calls.

17. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 29, 2009

Just be sure to steer clear of the Rio Grande Valley.....what a garbage dump! Ugh!

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 29, 2009

I have two friends who teach in the valley, and they both say they are staying there until they retire. It's not for everyone though. It takes a special person to make a difference there.

19. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 30, 2009

I guess by a "special person," that would mean someone like Richard Dreyfus' character in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" where he says, "I ate garbage and I loved it!" (LOL)

20. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 31, 2009

I'm not sure if your "garbage dump" comment refers to the people or the place (or both), but regardless it makes me wonder how much you value teaching as a job where you HELP KIDS LEARN. No, it's not for someone that wants to teach all-white, middle class kids. No, it doesn't have perfect districts that have everything teachers need. But it's come a long way and certainly needs more qualified, dedicated teachers to continue improving.

21. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 31, 2009

That place is the same as it was 30 years ago. They have no desire to change. They place no value on education. Only someone who likes the idea of pouring their efforts into a vacuum, making zero impact, would like that.

22. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 31, 2009

Have you taught there? Or is this coming from other sources? You are located in PA.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 31, 2009

Well then it sounds like you made a wise choice in moving to Pennsylvania. You should stay there-- far away from schools in south Texas. We'll take care of it here, thanks.

24. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

Ugh.

25. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 31, 2009

Wow. I agree with emmakate. I was just in South Texas in December - I didn't see what the problem was there. The Rio Grand Valley area is a big area to pigeonhole like that or any other place.

26. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 31, 2009

If you decide to visit Rio Grande City, Mission, Roma, Escobares, and the like, you'll know what I'm talking about.

27. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 31, 2009

I know quite a few people from that area, Al. I think that's a very stereotypical statement to make, in such a derogatory way. There are a lot of places that have certain populations or income levels that make them different, but it doesn't mean we should just write them off. Those kids deserve to be taught, too.

28. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

And exactly what are you talking about?

29. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

May 31, 2009

As someone posted earlier, it should be easier transferring your CA credential to TX. Had I stayed in CA, I would have about a year plus of schooling, plus the CSET.

In Texas, I turned in all of my paper work and instead of more schooling, they said I was highly qualified. That was a relief.

Oh yeah, that's not exactly true. I did have to take two exams in Texas...I thought they were super easy.

30. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

May 31, 2009

I believe there may be a tide of anti-intellectualism sweeping America. Maybe it's a hold over from our very pragmatic beginnings but honestly I think many low income areas have embraced this mindset. I am not talking about certain races or anything but blacks, whites, hispanics, etc seem to be in on it.

I think American popular culture has proclaimed it's "uncool" to be smart, unfortunately this message seems to affect the communities with the lowest education and income.

People with higher income seem to only strive to continue to progress at their same social strata. Again, I don't think this means necessarily that they want an broad education, but one that can give them "x" job to continue at their certain social standing.

All we can do at this point is convince parents and students to value education. Education is the great equlifier. Until people of every social class realize it's important to be knowledgable about a variety things.... expect more of the same apathy from all social classes.

31. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 1, 2009

Geauxtee - You're 100% correct!!

32. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 1, 2009

Similar here - I am credentialed in NC and it is a initial license. I sent the info they (SBEC) required and fee and am highly qualified just need to take the exams in Texas.

33. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2009

What tests? Tell me more...

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2009

That depends on what you want to teach. You'll need either EC-6 Generalist for elementary, 4-8 Generalist for MS, or specialized 8-12 for HS plus a professional responsiblity exam.