Can a teacher be hired before he's passed the TExES content exam?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Schottin, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Schottin

Schottin Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

This query is for my husband, not myself. I have just recently been hired in a very small, very poor and very rural school district in Texas (Title I). I am in an alternative certification program, and have passed the TExES exam for my subject, so I'll be teaching with a probationary certificate for a year.

My husband will be coming with me to this small town where there are hardly any jobs for him to do. The school principal has offered to employ him as a high school business teacher if he gets accepted into an alternative certification program. The only problem is that the next TExES exam for business isn't until October 2nd i.e. he won't be able to sit and pass this exam until after the start of the school year.

I have read that core subject teachers must have passed the TExES (and be "highly qualified") upon hire in a Title I school, but business, I believe, does not fall into the core subject category.

Could someone please tell me whether it would therefore be possible for my husband to be hired at this school if he hasn't passed the TExES by the start of the school year?

Thanks!

3. Schottin

Schottin Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Come on, people. Help a girl out!

Surely somebody in Texas knows the answer to this? It would also be helpful to have the input from people in different states.

4. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Is this test not available as a computer based test? They normally administer computer based tests almost everyday, not sure if that is true with business. First step is to call an ACP and get accepted and get your questions answered by them. As far as I know, they do not hire people who have not passed their content exam, but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

5. Schottin

Schottin Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Thanks for your answer, Newbeeteacher.

Unfortunately, the Business TExES exam is not available as a computer-based test. There *is* a limited-administration business computer test, but it's only offered on October 8th and 9th, so it would be even later than the paper-based one on October 2nd.

The only advantage to sitting the computer-based test would be that my husband would get his scores back much quicker, but it still doesn't solve the problem that he won't be able to sit it before the start of school.

My husband applied to the "Texas Teachers" alternative certification program last night, so we'll see what they say.

6. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have the texes exam to get hired. YOu just have to pass it before your year is up. The prob is that most schools don't hire teachers that haven't passed the texes already for the "just in case" factor of them never passing it.

7. Schottin

Schottin Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Thanks, oppa637.

I wonder how up to speed most principals are with the NCLB legislation as it pertains to being "highly qualified"?

The reason I ask is because the principal definitely seemed less interested in my husband once he found out that he wouldn't be able to sit the TExES until October 2nd. Maybe this was just because he was worried that he would never pass it, as you suggested. But I also wonder whether he even knows that only core subject teachers need to be "highly qualified" by the start of the school year.

There was initially talk of my husband being an instructional aide and the principal said he'd have to go to training to get certified for this, but this isn't true at all. Only aides who don't have a BA or a certain number of college hours need to attend training and/or pass an aide certification exam.

I'm just afraid that my husband won't be able to get this job because the principal might not understand the NCLB entirely.

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

I know of several teachers in the area who were hired for a content area other than one where they had passed the TExES. They give you 1 year and if you can't/don't pass the test, then your contract is automatically non-renewed.

Principals know NCLB. But sometimes if they see a potential teacher with promise, then they will let you by and give you a chance. The students and their parents do have to be notified that their teacher is not highly qualified.

9. Schottin

Schottin Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks for the info, Mrs. Q.

Fingers crossed that my husband can get hired. There are so few jobs in the area that we're moving to that his only other option would be to work in Burger King. I wish I could say that I was joking about this, but I'm deadly serious.