Can a Home Schooler Become a Teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mjones.45, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mjones.45

mjones.45 New Member

Feb 1, 2010

My brother was home schooled. He then transfered to community college at 16. He will graduate at 18 with an Associates Degree, but will not have a HS diploma. Because he has an Associates degree, he can then transfer to a 4 year university to complete his Bachelors in teaching. Will his lack of HS diploma disqualify him from becoming a public school teacher?

3. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 1, 2010

Yes, my fifth grade teacher was a high school drop out. She got her GED after cleaning up her life and then became a teacher. (she honestly was one of the WORST teachers I had, different and long story) But if a high school drop out can become a teacher, as long as he completes his Bachelors I don't see why being home schooled would hinder him becoming a teacher.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2010

One of my favorite high-school dropouts is an OB-GYN (well, she'd been attending college classes while still in high school and just got blessed tired of high school); last I heard, states like mine insist on the bachelor's but are silent on the issue of the high school diploma.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 1, 2010

I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 1, 2010

As long as you have a college degree and are certified by the state, it shouldn't matter.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 1, 2010

Check with the Department of Ed in New Mexico" web site. If you can't find what you're looking for there call them, get an individual's name with whom you talk to.

Good luck.

8. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 1, 2010

Don't see why not. I could have skipped my senior year of high school and went straight to college - most university even have an early admission policy surrounding that issue. In my case, I would have been accepted based on the number of college courses I had taken before my senior year, but I believe the usual route is to have a high SAT score and then apply to colleges a year early - they'll send you a letter that says you are accepted as a full time student and can skip your senior year.

9. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 1, 2010

I bet he could offer fresh insight and a really unique perspective. We need that!

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 2, 2010

It won't matter as long as he gets his college degree.