Can a condo board vote a tenant out of the building??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Master Pre-K, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

Hello All,

Well, you may know I have the pleasure of purchasing a new A/C, since the previous owner didn't bother to tell me hers was leaking freon. Now I am waiting to get a new toy for a few thousand dollars that I can't see or play with! :( (I'm not climbing the roof, I'll look at it on the truck!!)

Now come to find out some low-life, no good, dirty rotten SOB has been sucking out my cable juice! :mad: Here I am sitting around the house waiting on interview calls and surfing the net, while hanging out in AtoZ, and when I decide to watch TV, I got lousy reception, no picture, broken sound!

Cable guy said somebody had spliced my line to get service. This bugs the heck out of me. Not only was I out of service and wasted my precious time waiting around for repairs, they were rude enough to cut the cable box and steal from me..and ran the risk of eletrocuting themselves and shorting out the whole building...as far as I'm concerned!!

Shouldn't this scumbag pay some enormous fine when they get caught? I know if the cable guy traces the line, he will know exactly who it was. Will they make them pay?? Shouldn't the condo board do something?

I say threaten them with eviction for a potential fire!

You know I exaggerate, but this is so unfair to me! It's bad enough when they do it in apartment buildings. But this is a condo, and owners should have enough money to pay for cable, and if not, should be smart enough not to mess with anyone else's service!

What do you think will happen if the cable guy catches them? And...does the condo board have any rights against these cable- stealing neighbors?

this is one the exact reasons we refuse to allow renters. They say you can't control what is going with a unit when somebody rents it out. Ok, but what about an owner who is acting up?

Any suggestions??

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2008

I would go to the board and let them know what went on.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

I know in a co op you can, I don't know, but I think if you can prove it you have good grounds ... so sorry. How unfair

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

oh, I sure did!

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 7, 2008

MPK, do you have a copy of you association by-laws. It may have a clause in there about that. Maybe something about inappropriate use of common property?

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 7, 2008

Was the cable guy able to tell you which tenant was stealing your cable?

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

Thanks....I'm going to let the cable people handle it. They have to do an investigation, and put a new lock on the box. The repair guy also says we need a bigger box for our building, which is a good thing. If I had not called, I'm sure nobody else would notice.

By telling the condo board, it (hopefully) will keep my name out of the mix. I think the thief knows it was me, because all the lines are marked, but a real thief wouldn't care. But I put it in the lap of the board president's because I said, this could possibly injure all of us, or cause a fine from the cable company for having to replace the box!

Pretty sure the cable co. will go all out to put a stop to this, because usually backwards people like this will try again!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

No, but I bet the investigation team will...I'm mean it will be process of elimination too..because only so many people in the building are customers, and have apt/unit number tagged on lines...and I bet they can trace that extra line all the way up to the right house!

He may even be dumb enough to get mad when his bogus service cut off, and run right back out there and do it again! :crosseyed

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

thanks jw..gonna dig that out now...

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 7, 2008

Here you can get a HUGE fine for stealing cable...if not jail!! Hope they catch the sucker!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

anybody here speak legalese?

I think I found something..

No owners shall permit anything to be done or kept in his Unit or in the Common Elements which will result in the cancellation of insurance on the Building, or contents thereof, or which could be in violation of any law

that sounds like 'NO stealing cable' to me!

but I can't find anything that says what they will do to them... :huh:

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2008

I wonder what can be done because it's not a rental. Can you force someone to sell their home? I don't think so.

A warning and possible fine from the fire department.

Arrested and prosecuted by the cable company.

What a total idiot. I wonder if he/she was getting bad reception, too? Wouldn't you think that it would connect in the brain that the original owner would get poor reception also and have it checked out?

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

I dunno, my concern is that the dwindling condo assn. (2 1/2 :confused:) people, are barely able to enforce every day, common sense rules and know they have a history of trouble tenants!

I think the culprit has been the same owner that everyone complains about or doesn't like for some reason or other,..parking in wrong spot, leaving mess in laundry room, overfilling up dumptser, etc. Apparently a lady couldn't afford her ARM balloon payments, so she moved her sister in, and they are both working 2 jobs. So, the sister is treating our place like a rental, and apparently doesn't speak English, because I hear she acts like she doesn't understand anything when you talk to her. They don't bother me, but this could be a suspect..2 people working 2 jobs, can't afford cable?

Another suspect moved in with her mom, and parks her car outside other peoples' garages. She also filled up both sides of the garage to capacity with storage bins, and has already caused a fire dept fine, for improper storage. Again, she acts like she doesn't know..because she apparently thinks she is doing what she can to help her mother.

My third suspect is a man who is trying to sell his disabled aunt's unit, and is way outta the ballpark on his price. He is upset, and made us hold a special meeting to convince us that we should let him rent it out, because now he is stuck with the mortgage and the property taxes..which are not senior exemption anymore, since she moved out. He wanted to move his 20 something niece in, and we all yelled absolutely not. I mentioned, what if decided to move out and move my 20 something daughter in, and the whole room looked my way. I knew that would get their attention. They are really just getting used to the idea that I live here.

anyways, I know he is po'd at us, and since he is stuck hanging around to sell the place, he could have rigged up the cable to keep himself entertained at somebody elses (MY) expense. He certainly doesn't care what happens to anyone in the building.

sigh...

Sometimes, I seriously wish I would have had the 'welcoming committee interview' before I signed my contract!

It reminds me of my job interviews.... :unsure: take all my stuff, and then tell me the bad news!

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 8, 2008

I know around here occasionally you'll see a commercial on tv w/an 800 number to report someone you know that is stealing cable.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

well, I'll let the cable people handle it, and direct them to the condo board.

if this jerk is bold enough to steal somebody's cable, I don't want to mess with him!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

I'm sorry, but this thread is somewhat hilarious. I'm loving the mystery to it all, and the list of suspects. You HAVE to let us know who it is, MPK. Dig up some more suspects to entertain me-it's a slow day, and I'm in the mood to do some investigating! :woot:

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

Jem is right. I'm expecting to hear the culprit was in the hall with the candlestick... um, cable crimper!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

the picture was breaking up again today, and I called...and got a supervisor to send me another signal. she said she would set up investigation, (tech just said he would--had not done so). this is why you have to talk to supervisors!!!

I asked if they would tell me or condo board who was the thief. Get this, she tells me, "Based on Privacy Laws :eek:, they would not release that information to me or condo board."

Privacy laws??

privacy - laws...what an oxymoron that is! :mad:

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

oh cat and jem...you should have seen the look on my face when the repair tech said, "low signal means somebody is tapping into your cable"

I said, this building is full of seniors, I can't see anybody doing that!

I couldn't believe it was true!

so...to entertain...and keep my sanity.. I will give you more suspects..

The track coach...he works nights at the hospital...keeps telling me how much he likes black atheletes :confused:

The couple-who-watches-my-car - "So Dearie, where is your car, I didn't see it last night." :huh: (I park on the street now!)

The couple who is remodeling their kitchen. Girl told me she hates the board, nobody listens to her, her roof is leaking, etc. Her water heater busted, and now they are in and out all day working. Everyone is mad at them..guess they don't believe they are just remodeling. Well, again, they haven't bothered me. But, they do have a lot of relatives in an out working. :huh:

She said, "they don't like you, they don't like anyone..they keep calling you the little colored girl." :unsure:

do you think there is some underground plot to make me move?????

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2008

It's getting ugly!

Just came back from board meeting, and now I think my blood pressure is going to go up. They wouldn't elect a new treasurer, so we run the risk of losing our condo association, and having the building sold and getting only a portion of what the cost would be, and having to move!

Or, they could vote in an administrator to take over, and then the assessment fee would probably be as much as the mortgage!

But if that wasn't enough, the inhouse bickering and whispering led to two people trying to take over board seats. The jerk who wanted to be president had the nerve to say he would do it, but don't be calling him about little nonsense like somebody susposedly stealing cable, because Master Pre-K should just deal with her own issue. I was livid! "What makes you think its my problem?" He says, you're the only one talking about (yeah, I did, because he kept blowing it off like it didn't happen or cable guy was lying) So he storms off like a baby and says now he won't be president. And that meant the current president was scot free, and now we were back to no board again!

I was po'd! I told the group, "Yeah, it's me, but I don't appreciate him putting my business out there like that, because that's not something a board president should do! I thought I was doing something good by telling the board, since this could endanger all of us!"

I couldn't beleive that guy! A cop! Saying I should just get a police report. Like I have the time to do that? And what will that do? They have no witness, nothing to find, and they can't make cable company tell me who did it. If so, then what...I still don't think condo board would be able to do anything!

And would you believe, I found out that the secretary (a teacher) and former president are both out of work? :eek:

I'm sorry I even brought it up! But if I didn't, I wouldn't have seen what a jerk that guy who wanted to be president would be!!!!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2008

What a miserable ordeal! No A/C yet...cable messed up! I really feel for you! Hope everyone responsible for this gets theirs! :mad:

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2008

Just had the police over. He looked annoyed, like I was wasting his time. Well, I will get a police report, that is if he files it!

I am starting to believe some of the residents do have it in for me... :unsure: