Cameras In The Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sjnkate, Oct 11, 2011.

1. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

We got an email a few days ago that administration will be installing video cameras in our classrooms periodically. One of the "pros" in the email was "It will also assist administration in where the school wants to focus on staff development school wide and for individual staff development needs." While I'm all for staff development, the idea of administration watching the videos looking for our weaknesses is not very comforting. How would you feel if there was a camera installed in your classroom?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 11, 2011

My school does have security cameras in classrooms. However, I've never heard anything about admin watching and "looking for weaknesses." Frankly, I think they have better things to do than spy on us with video cameras. The way my school works, every teacher (not just new teachers) has a mentor teacher and the school has a master teacher, as well as obviously the AP and P. They are really committed to being a huge prescense in classrooms, so you know at any moment someone could pop in anyway. My mentor teacher comes at least once a week and one of the other three (the master or the admins) come at least once a week as well. They don't really coordinate with each other or anything, so one day I had three people come in to observe in the same day.

4. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Oct 11, 2011

Yikes... I'd hate it. Good luck with that.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2011

A few years ago I would have thought it would curb inappropriate behaviors in the classroom, but since installing cameras elsewhere I know that is not the case. So at this point it would only serve to make me nervous. I would much rather, in all seriousness, have my principal sit in on my classes. Being watched on camera...the idea is just very, very uncomfortable to me.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 11, 2011

I'd probably come to school nervous each day!

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Oct 11, 2011

I personally wouldn't mind it since I think it would curb some behavior issues.

If someone was watching to nitpick my teaching style, I would have a problem with that.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

I honestly wouldn't care.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011

I would care more out of principle. I feel like you can't accurately judge what I am doing without feeling the energy in the room, so I guess it would depend on what it was being used for.

On the other hand, my new AP has been in the room 4 times this year, and I was giving a quiz every time. The P has been in 3 times and I was giving a quiz twice. I have started sitting at my desk because the kids are using laptops for quizzes and it is easier for me to monitor them by using the software on my computer than to circulate - I have the desks in a C shape, so if I circulate, 2/3 of the class could have another window open.
    So I feel like the new AP must have this impression that all I do is give quizzes and sit at my desk. lol. I wouldn't mind having her watch a video of me for a week.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2011

I'd probably be self-conscious for about the first 5 minutes. Then I would forget about it completely.

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 12, 2011

We have cameras in every classroom. I got use to it and don't even think about it anymore.

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 12, 2011

Having a camera in the classroom would bug me.

13. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 12, 2011

I think it would bother me because you're never alone. Even after the kids are gone you can't do anything personal, like eat lunch alone or lock the door and change your clothes to go to the gym or anything slightly intimate.

It would also be more pressure teaching...am I doing this right? Is someone second guessing me? Can this be mininterpreted?

OTOH, I can see from a security aspect how it might be helpful, given some stories I've heard lately, particularly from the high school levels.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2011

As I said, I really thought cameras would reduce fights in common areas...but they absolutely have not in our case. In fact, I've been in the office with offenders reviewing footage and a couple have actually shrugged and said, "That's not me." I was floored. Um, yeah...it's you, obviously. :huh:

As someone else pointed out, I think I would worry about how things appeared, as our cameras are video only.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 12, 2011

This is something that you should actually stand up against. People think it's just an issue of personal preference ("Oh, I don't care. I'm secure in myself..."). But it's not just that, and it has far-reaching implifications, if one has an imagination. IMO, this type of thing is an intrusion of privacy, taking us one layer closer to a surveilled society (which FYI, is NOT a good thing).

Those middle of intersection cameras are another form of this, the airport full-body scanners... what is the supposed purpose of cameras inside the classroom?

Tell them to save the money.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 12, 2011

I'd think that as a parent of a student I'd have some say. But I can't see having much of a say as an employee. It isn't my right to teach in that public school setting. I am their employee.

A child, however, does have the right to an education. I could see a parent arguing this point. I don't see why and I don't see a win, but I can see it.

17. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 12, 2011

If it was just for a day, or a class period, I would not like it but could deal with it.

Permanent cameras, I would have a problem with. Talk to your union or teacher organization. Yuck!

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 12, 2011

I too thought I wouldn't have a problem with it, but in Head Start there are cameras everywhere...& being that the kids are so young and uncoordinated, they fall a lot. And right when you are reaching to stop them from falling, or when you're reaching to help them with something, tie their shoes, help them with their clothes, guide them back to the line etc etc they would fall and I know on camera it will look like you pushed them. No bueno

19. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Oct 13, 2011

So what do you do with the students whose parents have not given permission for their child to be photographed?

My (own) children are not allowed to be photographed b/c I can never know where these photos / videos will be posted. I knew of a teacher at my child's school who posted classroom photos on her personal FB page. I'm not sure all the parents were aware of this.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2011

Our form doesn't ask permission for children to be photographed, but permission for photos to be used in publications and such. So they would probably be "safe" there.

I know that we are not permitted to show parents footage from the camera if any other students are visible.