Camera in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by touchinglives, Jul 2, 2008.

1. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 2, 2008

How would you feel if you had a camera in your classroom? This year I will be in a new classroom with a camera in it and I don't like it. Everyone I talk to says I'll get used to it, but I feel so inhibited everytime I walk in to work in my room. I can't even look in the direction of the camera. I'm sure I could ask to have it removed or covered, because it was only put in because of a rough group of students last year and it is not schoolwide, but I'm not sure I should ask. What would you do??

3. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

Is the volume on?

Can you sign a disclaimer?

People can take a lot of things out of context at first glance. I think it is kinda odd. Our student handbook even has some sort of clause about recording devices from students or teachers.

Our hallways have cameras which I do like. I always remind the students they are on camera whenever they are not in the classroom. I doubt anyone has actually used it but it does help with minding their manners.

4. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

if my word is not good enough for the admin, then I'm at the wrong school.

If a parent realizes there is a camera in the classroom, it will be used to show how you did something wrong before their angel messed up (a deflection behavior) Even if you didn't do anything wrong, it's, at the very least, a stalling method. Plus, I could, as a parent, make anything look bad enough that I could get my kid out of trouble if push came to shove, and other parents out there can too.

ie - see, look, 10 minutes before my son took a swing at you, he raised his hand, and you looked at him, ignored him and went back to what you were doing (which may have been helping another kid) and he just had no other way of seeking the help he needed, it's your fault.

Sure, we know the truth, but everybody knows that some schools will fold QUICKLY on the teacher and not support them

if it's that bad to you, talk to your union rep about it.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

Every classroom at my school has a camera, along with all the hallways, staircases, and parking lot. They are there so that parents can watch their child's classroom from monitors in our atrium. Tey have come in very useful when you have to look up something that happened. I don't even give it a second thought when I am in the class.

6. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 2, 2008

BASAM,

Did you ever feel inhibited, or has it never been an issue for you? I'm just wondering if I will "get over it" and should just deal with it, or if I should speak to my principal about covering it before school starts.

7. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

The Preschool where I work has cameras in every classroom, as well as large 2-way mirrors. These are mostly to benefit parents wanting to watch their children or are available for when there are tours to new families or other administration. Every once in a while I'll think about the camera, but for the most part you just forget about it. And I'm sure we're all the type of teachers that can be recorded without ever giving a second thought to our discipline, techniques or basically second guessing our decisions overal.

Basically you'll get used to it...

8. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

It has never been an issue for me and I think you just get use to it. If it is not a school thing then you should ask for it to be removed so that you feel comfortable.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 2, 2008

We had cameras...but no sound. They came in handy at times. Especially catching those lil brats doing a drug deal.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

I would live in mortal fear of picking or scratching on my conference period.:p

11. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

None of ours have sound.

12. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

That's why my desk is in the back of the room (out of view) a girl always needs an adjustment. (Guys too!):)

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 2, 2008

We have cameras in the hallways and in some classrooms. As the budget allows, all classrooms will be equiped with cameras. As of now, my room doesn't have a camera, but I always act like I'm on camera anyway. I figure that I wouldn't do anything I would be embarrased to have recorded, so why would it bother me?

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2008

There are cameras all over the place where I currently work. No one pays attention to them. You will get used to it. BTW, there really is NOT anyone sitting there watching everything you do -- honestly!

15. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 2, 2008

We have camerals all over (the doors, behind the building, on the playground) and very open classrooms. You get used to it & they have come in handy a few times (to look up something that happened). But you're right, you gotta scratch sometimes. That's life. If you really think about it, you're on camera more than you probably realize... at the bank... going to the grocery store (yes, someone is watching you decide over chili with or without beans)... the gas station... the list goes on. I'm in a federal building, though, so I'm probably more used to surveillance than some. We've got police, security, K9 dogs, cameras... the whole bit. You adjust. Good luck!

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

I don't think I'd mind. I figure that there are camera watching me pretty much everywhere else during my day . . . bank, Wal-Mart, gas station, etc.

We have cameras in the hallways & common areas. They're VERY handy for seeing who did what and when.

It takes all the "he said/she said" out of the equation. Once a few kids had been "had" by the camera, all we had to say when the child denied a said action was, "Do we need to go look at the tape?"

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 2, 2008

I have to laugh. Two of our 5th grade teachers have those "fake security cameras' in their classrooms. They put them there themselves, and the kids are convinced they are real! They say it really does help. If something happens the teacher doesn't see, all she has to do is threaten "do I have to go look at the tape to see who REALLY did it?" The guilty party confesses (or someone who saw what happened does.)

Now, I couldn't do it, because I know I'd give it away -- I'm not good at fibbing! I couldn't keep a straight face!

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 2, 2008

:lol:That is funny!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

Several of us have audio enhancement systems in our rooms, and the receiver for the microphone is in an opaque black dome on the ceiling. There is a red light that comes on when the microphone is on. The kids think that's where the camera is. I have never told them any different. :whistle:

20. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 2, 2008

Too funny!

21. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I would HATE to have cameras in my room. I would feel like I was on show 24/7 and would be way too aware of my every move and I think that would constrict me as a teacher. Of course, after a while I'm sure I'd forget they were even there or at the very least, become somewhat comfortable with them around. It would be sorta like I was on The Real World or Big Brother! :p

22. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 2, 2008

Calalilys,

That's exactly how I feel.

23. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

I have a friend who teaches at an elementary school where there are cameras in the room and parents can go online and watch class during the day. I would NOT like that as a teacher. As a parent, I would have loved it.

24. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 2, 2008

slinkytoy,

Now that would send me over the edge! LOL

25. New Teachh

New Teachh Rookie

Jul 4, 2008

I wouldn't feel comfortable at all. Then again I've worked in a really good school district and next year I'll be working in a better one so it doesn't really apply. I mean I'm sure drugs are everywhere, but in terms of fighting.

I would probably keep it there to see if I could get used to it just because I know I wouldn't and then I could tell my adminstration that I tried it.

26. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

Oh my gosh, I'd be watching my son all day long!

To the OP, if it makes you uncomfortable, I'd ask for it to be covered. Because it's an isolated camera and not schoolwide.

27. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

I use this one all the time. I have my kids convinced that the smoke dectector is actually a hidden camera. Whenever someone does something inappropriate, but don't confess, I just say, "that's okay, I'll just look at the camera tonight." They immediately come clean. Works everytime. ;) I've even had one student say, "Ms. shasha, could you please look at the camera and see who is taking my pencils?" :lol:

28. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

I'd just get used to it especially if there's going to be a battle over taking it out. You're human, you don't have to be perfect all the time, no one is going to actually watch you all day long. I confess, it would make me nervous to start out, but you will get used to it. I think I'd prefer a camera to parents coming in and nesting for days at a time to watch their little emperor's behavior, esp. when they, the parent, can't sit and be quiet! There's been times I've threatened to put one in my classroom when there's been debates about kid's behavior. Use it to your advantage!

29. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 4, 2008

I could see myself doing this!:D When I have my observation, I tell my students that the principal is coming into the classroom to document student behavior and that she takes notes on her laptop about specific students! Isn't that bad?! I have to say that it works, however.

30. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

I do the same thing! Too funny!

31. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

We got cameras installed all over after our school shooting. I don't pay any attention anymore to it. It doesn't record sound and it can't be used to critque.

32. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

Cameras are everywhere- even when we don't realize it. It's creepy if you actually sit down and think about it.

33. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I've done that too

34. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 5, 2008

I would love to use that "fake camera" idea, but what happens when children go home and tell their parents that there is a camera in the class? I don't want to cause any unnecessary drama or conflict, especially as a first year teacher! :)

35. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 6, 2008

There were a few times this year that I wished for a hidden camera in my room. I had a student who was pretty disruptive, but his mom insisted that her poor baby was so miserable at school, and was bullied all day long, and that the teachers just weren't doing anything about it. It just wasn't the case. Everytime I watched her kid, he was the one poking and prodding, and teasing others, with a big goofy grin on his face. I wanted so badly to be able to videotape him during the day to show his parents just how "miserable" he really was!

36. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 6, 2008

:eek: I would die.

37. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

My son's old school had cameras in the halls. My son was accused by a girl of pitching her breast. My son wasn't at school the day she said he did it. When he was called into the office to discuss it, he told the principal to pull the tape. All through the meeting my son kept saying "Just watch the tape, I didn't do it." The principal had to admit that they were fake. After I got my son's attendance records to the principal, it came out that the girl lied because my son told her he didn't want to date her. I wished that those cameras had worked, it would have saved us a few days of headaches.

38. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I agree that using the camera as a "threat" may cause more problems.

Our cameras work and I don't use it as a threat. I think about it being on when I have to adjust or blow my nose or something. Other than that, I just am me.

39. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

When they redid our school this year, they put cameras in our rooms, I heard there was sound too. From the first day it never bothered me. The kids would mention it, some of the cameras worked and some they'd not finished hooking up yet because of all the massive remodeling and rewiring they were doing. I'm assuming everything will work this year.

Because I teach high school, it doesn't really affect the students much ..they still act the way they want to act.

Actually I forget about it, it could be because they are up in a corner and not really that big.