Camera help

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Nov 22, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 22, 2010

My grandparents are getting me a camera for Christmas. I need one that takes good pictures, takes them fast (babies move a lot), and a decent price range.

Any suggestions?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2010

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2010

I can tell you what NOT to get...a FujiFilm camera. I've had 2 & when you press the button to take the picture, it actually takes it a couple seconds after you push the button, so most of the time, you'll miss the shot you really want to take...don't know why it does that.

I have an Olympus FE 5010 now & it's great.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 23, 2010

I'm a camera snob, I only use Canon and Nikon. Both are excellent.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 23, 2010

I have a two year old Cannon PowerShot. I got it right when the 10 mega pixel cameras were starting to drop in price, so it's a mid-grade...not the top of the line, but not the bottom either. When the battery is fully charged, it takes pictures fast, but I do notice that the lower the battery power, the slower it gets...and it's quite noticeable. That's the only complaint I have. Otherwise, it's a very nice, easy to use, durable camera. The boys have beat the snot out of it, and it's been taken to school a number of times (both with and without my permission), and it's still in good shape.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2010

I'm partial to cameras that run on AA batteries. Most today run on Lithium Ion packs, which are great and run for a long time, but forget to charge your camera and you're in trouble, as my wife found out in the middle of a U2 concert in Dublin Ireland one summer.

I have a Canon IS20 that runs on AA batteries. I use rechargeable AA batteries. If you get the kind that are pre-charged, they don't self discharge like normal NiMh batteries. I keep one pair in the camera, and one pair in the bag, along with a pair of alkalines for emergencies.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2010

I have a Sony Cyber-shot that I really like. It only cost around $150 or under.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 23, 2010

Thanks everyone...I'll go test these out at store