Came in early today for a parent conference...parent didn't show.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Caesar753, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2010

Actually, the parent called as the conference was set to start and said that she wasn't going to make it today. As far as I know there was no emergency or anything preventing her from coming today (which would be understandable). She just chose to cancel the conference and waited until this morning to tell anyone.

It's a little irritating.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2010

A little? I would have been furious! She must think like little kids do when they see us in the grocery store...we live at school...

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2010

I would definitely have this parent sign off on times that are agreed upon.

Then I would send home a note that says, "This is just to confirm that you did not attend our scheduled conference at ___ on ___." Sincerely, ____

Then keep it in your files.

I would not try to reschedule unless parent requests it - and if so - send a confirmation note the day before, "This is to confirm that our conference is scheduled for ___ at ___. Please note that this conference is scheduled before school hours and a schedule change has been made so the conference can take place." or something like that.

I find that the parents often forget that we are all living, breathing, and eating school - and to come in early like that and have a parent not show up is a BIG pain.

I am lucky that in my district we have "parent conference nights" - where we get out of school for a half day and then come back to school that night for 3 hours and the parents have to come during that time.

They can schedule one another time but it must be during contracted hours and not while instruction is going on, "conference period" is really the only time.

What a pain.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 4, 2010

Our conference day was Tuesday from 12-7pm. I came in early for a conference a parent insisted on having at 11:30 as that was the only time that would work for her. So then I decided I would take off early in the evening since I was coming early, but then had another parent insist on a 6:45 conference. Do you think either of those showed, or even called to let me know at all? Out of the 14 conferences I had scheduled for the day, only 5 showed up, and I had one "surprise" conference.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

was this an IEP meeting or just a conference? IEP meetings can proceed without the parents being present.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 7, 2010

We've bent over backwards for some parents and they still don't show up to meetings. Even making it a teleconference, they can't be bothered to pick up the phone when we call. I know there will be people taking the parents' side here but honestly, 99% of the time there is just no excuse for that kind of behavior.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 7, 2010

I teach kindergarten and there was one year I never met the mom (no dad in the picture), we did phone conferences and the nanny picked her up everyday.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 7, 2010

No they cannot.

Well, no decisions can be made without the parents present, as they are equal members of the IEP team.

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2010

I believe the original poster was discussing parent conferences, not IEP meetings.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 7, 2010

That's what I thought the OP meant. If a parent requested the meeting then it is in very poor form not to show for it.
    In regards to IEP meetings, if a parent doesn't show up for our IEP meetings, we go ahead with the meeting. If they want to change something later then we have another meeting. Students are sent to our school from other districts and their districts can't reschedule the meeting just because a parent doesn't want to/can't show up. The parents get a copy of the proposed IEP and they can contact us if they don't agree with something.

12. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2010

That's how it works for us, too. If parents want to be equal members of the IEP team, they need to agree to a date that they're going to show up on. It's not like schools hold meetings at random times and don't request the parents attendance. It is typically a pre-scheduled pre-arranged time that the parent has either agreed to or not objected to. There are plenty of opportunities to re-schedule or choose a different date, as most of our meetings are scheduled nearly 3 weeks in advance.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 7, 2010

Our meetings are scheduled between 3 weeks and 4 months in advance.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

I also teach in an out of district placement. This also works the same for us.

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

yes they can and yes they do. If they (parents) do not agree, another meeting can be held. Our IEP meetings are scheduled 6-9 weeks in advance.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2010

This was a regular parent-teacher conference, scheduled at the request of the parent. Ugh.

17. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 8, 2010

IEP meetings can be held without parents. We have to document our reasonable attempts to get parent participation, but we are to hold the meeting by the compliance due date no matter what. We have to give 15 school days notice for an IEP meeting, so that gives us time to get the attempts and hold the meeting. Law requires the 364 days, and we are told to keep to that at all costs. Districts can lose federal money if they are non-compliant, or so we've been told.

The only exception is an initial IEP which must have parent signature before it can be implemented, or a change of placement which also requires parent signature. All others don't even have to be signed by parent.

OP~ That stinks. I hate rearranging my schedule just to accommodate one parent and then they don't show up. It is the height of frustration and makes me feel totally disrespected.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

District can lose federal money for noncompliance if they are reported by a parent or teacher.

Most of the time districts just get a slap on the wrist for noncompliance though.

19. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 2, 2010

Maybe it's different where you are, Bros, but after having gathered all of the members of the IEP team together at a time the parent said they could come three times, we are allowed to hold the meeting without the parent, since they consented to come three times and did not show up. Parents are vital to the process, but it's also vital that they show some responsibility.

It is annoying when you bend your schedule for people who don't take the time to come to a meeting, whether it's an IEP or a conference. People expect a lot from teachers, but don't feel compelled to treat them with courtesy.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2010

Abide by your contract. I don't have meetings with anyone during times for which I am not 'on the books'.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2010

IEP meetings can be held without the parents attending. The only stipulation in that case is that the IEP does not become effective for seven days.

As far as conferences,
    I also follow the policy that I will leave it up to the parent to take the initiative to reschedule the meeting. For particularly difficult parents
    (those who are continual non shows), I will only be available for a phone conference.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

If I did this, the number of meetings I have would be cut in half. Many of our parents cannot meet during the course of the regular school day and I've had meetings with them as early as 6:00am and as late as 8:00pm (actually, the latest started at 9:45, but that was on a scheduled conference evening when the last conference was supposed to start at 8:00pm).

23. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 3, 2010

IDEA states something along the lines that all attempts possible must be made to include the parent in the meeting. A mutually agreeable time.

If the parent doesn't show up, try to include them via phone.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2010

:hugs: Caesar. I had one scheduled during my duty hours - at 6:35 this morning. I got to work at 6 to get everything set up for the day. Parent decided to show up at 7. UGH.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

I'm sorry, but I can't meet outside the hours of my regular school day either. I'm willing to have phone conferences or communicate via email, they should be willing to meet me at least half way. This is in addition to available meeting times M-Th from 8-8:30 and two night conference dates per year.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

My comment wasn't meant to sound as though I thought others should do the same thing (if it did, I apologize), but is more a comment on the demographics of our school community. Many of our parents are working 3 or 4 jobs to keep a roof over their heads and do not have jobs that allow them to take time off. (I had a parent several years ago lose a job when they took time off to come into the school for a meeting.) Telephone and email are difficult because of language barriers. I fully recognize that what works for me would not work for most other teachers.

27. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

I agree. I have a demographic like yours, and most of my parents are not able to come in during the school day. It would be awesome, but I think in my three years at my school, I have been able to schedule 1 meeting during the school day.