calm before the storm?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amber1011, Aug 24, 2008.

1. amber1011

amber1011 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

Hey, I'm brand new here and a brand new teacher! Last week was our first week of school and surprisingly it went great! Some of the kids told me in our Friday class meeting that I was mean; but I take that as being firm. I've been scared to death that I would start the year off too light and then when I do try to tighten up, it would just be a headache. So...I started this entire week off firm and we learned a lot so far because of the minimal classroom disruptions!

My question is....will every week be as great as the first one if you stick to being firm? I was so surprised at how smooth things ran and just how much we accomplished that first week! Has anyone had problems where their year started great and then turned to havoc? Please respond!

3. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I don't like being negative....BUT.....things will continue to go well probably - however in a few weeks or a couple months the kids will start to get used to you and they will probably try to push the limits more than they are now....but as long as you continue to hold your ground, then imo things will be alright! :)