Calls for subs

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Jul 12, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 12, 2005

I will be subbing this year as I did for the second half of the school year last year. I got on the sub list last year in January and I was called a lot. I can't wait to get back into the classroom, but I was wondering, do subs get called a lot at the beginning of the school year?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2005

I don't see too many around early in the year. You might let the scheduler know that you are interested in any long-term positions (maternity, etc.)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 13, 2005

I subbed second semester last year, so I don't know about the beginning of the year, but I do know that in the districts I subbed in, there was always a decrease in jobs for a couple of weeks after a long break, so I would assume that they may be sparse during the first few weeks of the school year as well.

5. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 14, 2005

Thanks for the replies.

6. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Slow subbing times

In the district I was in, teachers were under a lot of pressure not to be absent at certain times of the year. This would include the beginning and end of the school year, finals or testing weeks, and periods directly before or after breaks. Christmas break was the worst- my husband and I were both subbing and had almost zero calls for a month. Save up for your holiday shopping well in advance! ;)
    As someone already mentioned, long term positions can be terrific. From some of your other posts, I can tell that you value being able to build a relationship with students, so this might be just the thing for you. The smartest schools will love you for this, since they realize that kids need stability. I had one school that was so impressed with my first long-term service that they gave me my own classroom later that year. One of their teachers stepped out permanently in late February or early March, and they called me in and gave me free reign with lesson planning, grading, classroom management, conferences, the whole shebang.

7. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Thank you so much for your input. I am really hoping for a longterm subbing job.

8. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I got a sub call on the first day of school before! The teacher's daughter had been sick and she just couldn't be there, so I was called. The great part was there was a student teacher there so she and the regular teacher had already planned the day. Also, last school year, maybe two weeks into it, we had a teacher get sick and was out for four weeks. As others have said, reiterate your interest in long-term subbing, always show yourself in the best light, and principals will remember you.

9. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

This one school I sub at has a very short subbing list because the discipline there is a joke! When I sub there in the higher grades I feel like a correctional officer much of the time. But I keep going because there are so many great kids there and I don't want to feel like those bad apples spoil the bunch. I have great chances at getting a longterm subbing job there since that place is dying for subs. I did have a few longterms last year there and I made it through!

10. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jul 26, 2005

If you know of any teachers in the district that you want to sub in, or maybe even email addresses of teachers you've subbed for before, you might want to let them know that you're on the sub list again this year. Especially since it sounds like they have a hard time getting good subs. I had subbed at the district I student taught in after I graduated (from December to the end of the year) and when I started subbing in that same district the next year I told my CT and a couple of other teachers that I was returning to sub and a lot of people requested to have me come in. There were a few dates that I had in September (the teachers had meetings to go to during the school day) and in October I got a lot of calls because at the end of the quarter they had to do individualized testing in the halls.

Also, you may want to consider subbing for other grades, too, if you haven't already. It might be helpful in the beginning and at slow times to have more availability and you can always say no when you're getting a lot of calls for the grades you want to sub in.

11. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I subbed for 5 years and I have been called in the first week of school due to illness, death in the family etc. It usually starts about the third week of school - you'd be suprised how many teachers are going to workshops that early in the year.

12. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

yes, the district with the sub shortage is also the one ai student taught in and I was requested by those teachers all the time. Thanks for the advice of contacting them. Good idea!