Calling Schools Directly?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteachkids, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

There are only two districts out of the ones I've applied to that I have not heard anything from. I was thinking of calling each school to talk to the principal. I did send cover letters and resumes by mail and e-mail back in June but I thought I'd follow up with a call. What do I say though, being that these school districts don't even post specific openings? Should I just introduce myself and ask if they have any openings?

3. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

YES!!!

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Yes call the schools!!! The worst that could happen is they take a message and blow you off.

5. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Call or visit in person. It's getting late in the game... Good luck.

6. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I did call all the schools in one of those districts today. Left message with the secretaries for most of them. At one school the principal actually answered the phone. He said he *might* have a position open because one of his teachers interviewed to work closer to home...but he's waiting on hearing back if she got the job. He said he wrote my name down.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

See that? And this is just your first day of making the calls!! Imagine what awaits you!!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Go! If they say no over the phone, it is harder to say no in person. Go! They may have interviewed 12 people, and hated them all! Go! They may have just opened up a new class, because a new family moved in, or the district changed the boundaries overnight!
    Go! If nothing else, ask for a sub application! They have to give it to you, because they have nothing to lose. You will be in the system. If you don't get anything else by September, you will definitely be on their sub list. And..if they have a person drop out at the last minute, you are already in the system...since you filled out sub papers!!

I would go out and do a sub application to everyone! If nothing else, you will definitely have some calls for work, and principals will get to know you. Don't think of it as temporary work. Institute days, trainings, and regular sick and jury duty days cause absences. Even as early as the first week of school.

Don't call...GO!

In your best outfit, with a complete portfolio, including sealed official transcripts, and original and copy of teaching credential.

GO!!!

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

:D

10. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I was planning on moving to Virginia for this school year and mailed off all my applications by March. Spring break came in April and I hadn't heard a word from any of the 15 districts I applied to. So I packed a suit and flew out here. I walked in to a few schools and introduced myself. Every school I went to set up an interview with me that same week. One school told me that they probably had skipped over my app. since I was out-of-state - the day after the impromtu interview at this school they called to offer me the job!!! I've moved across country and can't wait to start this position. It really makes a big impression and I think schools like having a face to go with a name too.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

good 4 you annie! It takes a lot of courage, and guts to do that! You proved you were the woman for the job! Hope you had plenty of time to get adjusted to your new home! Is this a big change for you?? small town, big city...leaving warm climate for a cooler one??

12. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 1, 2007

It seems like every school I call is not answering the telephone. I hate to keep leaving messages. Not even a secretary answers?!

13. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I think a lot of principals are on vacation this week and last week. They probably want to be back for August since there is so much to do. I've been mostly leaving messages as well. That's one reason I didn't go in person...in two weeks if I don't have a job I may do that since everyone should be in the schools then.

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

Leave messages and send emails - they'll be waiting when the principals return.

15. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I already have a job lined up, but what if the district HR office says explicitly to not contact the principal for interviews, is it still wise to visit or email them?