Calling principal.. What to say?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lillebe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I had an interview and demo lesson about a week and a half ago. Both were with the AP. He said he really liked me and was going to recommend me for employment to the Principal who was on vacation. He was on vacation until Friday (which I'm guessing he probably came back to work today). We left off by the AP telling me that the Principal's secretary will call me to set up a final interview after the principal reviews all the recommendations.
    I still haven't gotten a call. I was planning on calling tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.
    Not sure what I should say though? Should I ask to speak with the AP and go over how we left off and ask if the position has been filled, or should I speak with the Principal or his secretary directly? I'm not sure if it's even too soon and I should give a little more time. I'm freaking out now, and I just want to know one way or the other because I can't take it just waiting for the call.

3. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

The principal is probably playing catch up from being gone a week. It's also possible that he is in the process of checking references and such. Or maybe the AP has been too busy to consult with him about you. It could be any number of reasons; however, I would shoot the AP an email or give him a call and just come out and ask if he has had a chance to review your application/discuss the interview/demo with the principal since he returned. If you don't do something, they may think you have moved on or are not interested. Of course, they may tell you the position has been filled and, if that is the case, you can then continue your search.

To me, that is the hardest part...preparing myself for the answer that I don't want to hear. It really irks me that admins are so...cruel...to applicants, esp. when they have indicated that the applicant has a good chance/is a serious contender/they would like to sign them, etc. because you, as applicant, can't really move on but must remain hanging in complete anxiety. I think they must have a special "torture" class in post-grad for them.

4. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Have you already sent a thank you card or email? Have you sent just one or both? If you sent just one, I would another. Letting the AP know again how much you are interested in the position, how pleased you were to be interviews and how you would like to be called back for a final interview.

If you sent a thank you card and email already then I would call the secretary and ask the status of the vacancy. If final interviews will be conducted and if/when those applicants will be contacted.

Someone might have some better insight. I'm not that good with this job hunting stuff.

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Yes, I forgot about the thank you's. And, nicegirl, that is a very diplomatic way to inquire as to what the status. My experience, however, is that the secretaries don't tell until the deal is done.

And, nicegirl, you are good at this, you just haven't struck gold yet.

6. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Yes, I have sent a thank you email and letter to the AP. I definitely plan on calling tomorrow because I need to know either. I think I'm just going to ask to speak with the AP (which I know they probably won't put me through) but hopefully the secretary will be helpful.
    You're right, the principal is probably just really busy from returning after time off; so hopefully he had other things to take care of before going over applicant. I just hope I'm still in the running!