Calling my ELL friends!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by runsw/scissors, Nov 10, 2009.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2009

I am teaching a reading class on Friday to a group of 6th grade students who read at about the second grade level. These are ELL students who are still learning the English language. Does anyone have ideas of Thanksgiving type lessons I could use with these students? Something I could write up in a SIOP plan with both intstructional and language objectives? It is a small group of kids I think (maybe 5 or 6). Thanks in advance for the help/

3. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 11, 2009

I love the book How Many Days to America by Eve Bunting. It's the tale of how some immigrants must flee their homeland (probably Haiti) and come to the US by a small boat. It's a rough journey, but when they finally arrive it happens to be Thanksgiving day.

If you give me a better idea of what you are working on I'd be happy to help with writing into a SIOP format.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 11, 2009

I'm guessing this is a group of level two students and only their second year in the country. How much background and vocabulary would need to be introduced for this? I only have about 45 minutes I think. This is a practicum lesson for me, so I'm going in cold (don't know what they have been doing up to this point.) Their resource teacher said a Thanksgiving lesson would be good because they don't know much about it.

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 13, 2009

Well, first you need to decide if you want to teach about the first Thanksgiving or how it is currently celebrated. If you want to talk about the Pilgrims, your students will need A LOT of background knowledge. It would be hard to fit into 45 min.
    If you want to talk about how it is currently celebrated, then you can spend just a min or 2 explaining the idea of being thankful, having a feast etc.
    Here's how I am going to teach the lesson.
    Content objective: Today we will make connections between a story and our own lives.
    Language objectives: We will listen to a read-aloud.
    We will share our connections with a partner.
    We will create a table with our connections
    We will write a reflection on the story and our connections.
    Book Into/background knowledge
    read the book stop several places to model making connections and allowing students to share their connections with a partner.
    After reading, make a table of connections shared by students
    Students write in journal for 5 min about their connections in the book helped them understand the story

Hope it goes well

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 14, 2009

It will be about the Pilgrims and Wampanoag. I am currently looking for a book with good pictures that I can share orally (not necessarily read) and discuss with the students. Any suggestions on a title that might work. The students are 6th grade L2s in a resource room.

I will have key vocabulary on cards, and we will use these words to complete a fillable booklet (one for each student) that can be illustrated and read when we are finished. The date for this lesson will be Nov. 23.

7. multilingual

multilingual Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

I always liked using this book:
    "The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving"
    If they are at least Spanish-speaking immigrant children, then they should have some background knowledge on Thanksgiving and you can tap their prior knowledge about Thanksgiving. You can frontload/preteach all of the key vocabulary in the book. It is at a lower readability, but not so low that it will disengage sixth grade students.
    Good luck on your lesson=)