Calling home over winter break

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by rockangel312, Dec 29, 2011.

1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 29, 2011

I gave 5th grade students a project that was due a few days before the winter break. I have about 10 students who did not turn the project in. Well, three did turn it in, but I gave it back because it was not done well.
    I'm debating on calling home to the parents today. Anytime I have called a parent it goes well, but I still have to work up the nerve to call them. Well, I think it is now because school is out. I e-mailed five parents, but I do not have e-mails for the rest.
    Everyone, except my mother haha, says to call after the break. If I call after the break it will be after I have showed them that they are now failing my class. For some it may work, for others they probably won't care.
    My main reason to call is , that I don't want the parent to be angry or upset when they see that they did not do well this marking period. If I call over the break then the child has time to work on it. I'm hoping that a bunch of them turn it in to me when they return. I don't know though.
    It's aggravating because it's not my grade and they really should be more responsible, and not have to wait for Mommy or Daddy to tell them what to do.
    Instead of this being the student's problem, I feel like it is now my problem. ugh!

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

I struggle with this with my eighth grade LD students. They will turn in half done work (or fail to turn it in at all), and then wonder why they fail at the end of the grading period. I give them grade reports many times during the nine weeks, but it doesn't seem to "click" with them until it's too late.

Usually what I do is give the class their project back, with my notes on it, and give them a deadline to correct it. Usually two days to a week, depending on how big the project is. If they fail to make corrections on their own, THEN I call home. That way, I can tell parents "well, they had an opportunity to fix it and didn't..." and that usually shows the parent that they need to step up and help their child take responsibility. If you're running out of time in the grading period, I would assign the corrections and call home to the ones who you think won't do the corrections. Let those parents know that their child has the opportunity to fix their work, let them know of the deadline, and thank them in advance for helping the student be successful with this project.

4. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 29, 2011

Thanks! Well unfortunately, 7 kids didn't turn it in at all. I don't know if it's because it is near Christmas and they were not focused, or if they just don't think I would fail them.
    Well lesson will be learned when they get report cards. I just don't want parents to blame me for not telling them. Funny thing is that most of these kids' parents signed the paper saying they knew when the project was due and that they understood the guidelines.

5. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

I would just print out grade reports for the kids to show them how their grade went down due to not turning in the project. But then again, that's the eighth grade teacher in me speaking lol.

Maybe add a signature line onto the grade report and tell them that if they bring it back with a signature, they can get some bonus points.

Also, was this project assigned as homework? I have given up that battle personally. If I'm going to assign a project, I allow enough class time for students to complete it in school. If they choose to goof off during class time, then they will have to do it at home. But I always schedule enough time for a student who remains on task to complete it. If I assign it as homework, it never comes back. That's how most of my colleagues do it, as well. In fact, my school increased the duration of each period so that we could get more done in class and not assign homework, because it never gets done.

6. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 29, 2011

The project was started in class, but most would have had to be completed at home. Well, I just called the one parent.
    The rest were e-mail and the three I didn't call yet all signed off on knowing about it. Two of the three are usually pretty good with their work. I guess they just blew this one off. I told them they have to redo it. I'll see when I get back. I really don't reel like calling.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

My only caveat for you would be that you reached out to all but three kids...I think it should be all or none (I would have gone with 'none' in an effort to ave the kids learn about responsibility):eek:

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

I don't think it's a bad idea to email the parent over the break and let them know that their child did not turn in a large project. If I didn't have an email, I wouldn't feel bad about calling.

You want them to learn responsibility, but the only way that will happen is if the parents get on board with helping to teach it.

9. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 29, 2011

Okay what Czacza said made me call the rest lol.
    Well, one rang and rang and no answering machine. The other two I left messages for.
    I'm putting it in my anecdotal records, and I guess that's good enough as far as the contact. I'll speak with all of them on Tuesday and show them that they now have Ds or Fs due to not turning their project in.
    If I still do not get them by Wednesday, I will call those other parents again probably.
    I do want to teach them a lesson, but I do not want to get in trouble for not letting them know.