Calling CPS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jen12, May 4, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 4, 2012

Ever had to do it?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 4, 2012

Yes.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

Yup.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 4, 2012

...and did the parent show up and demand to know why you did it?

6. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

May 4, 2012

Yes, I have had to call. No, the parent did not show up and demand why. I know for a fact that the parent knew that I called CPS too, because I called her about the situation first, and I was very concerned about the information I received from her. The child has been distant towards me ever since.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

Nope.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2012

We have to speak to our guidance counselor, and she makes the call.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 4, 2012

Yes, more than once. Never easy and never fun.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 4, 2012

Not sure that's entirely legal.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 4, 2012

:yeahthat:

I just finished a school law course. You must make the call. Let the guidance counselor know as well--if you both report it, they may be more likely to act, but you are responsible for calling.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 5, 2012

Thanks for providing this information. I did not know that. I thought I only had to report it to the counselor.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

In California, we are mandated reporters and are required to report to CPS.

Yes, I've had to contact CPS several times (I've only taught for 7 years now).

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 5, 2012

Nope. Don't believe I have ever had a real reason to.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

I had to call the police once...it was urgent. Still breaks my heart and I wish I knew if the child is okay. :(

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 5, 2012

I fully support the mandated reporter thing, but I was interested in the "The child has been distant towards me ever since."

I grew up in an abusive home environment, and I told my counselor one time when my parents were hitting me, and they left a gash across my neck from hitting me with a broom that had a wire sticking out, because I was lost and didn't know what to do. Against all of my wishes, she had to call the police and they talked to my mom and basically said that its okay to keep hitting me, but not to leave visible marks.

My mom took me home that day and hit me because I "called the police on her". All in all, the counselor's action did nothing, and worsened matters at home, as things just kept getting worse from then on in, because my parents now believed I was rebelling against them by telling others. I actually really really hated the counselor for what she did, and resented her and counselors ever since. I still don't feel comfortable talking to a counselor, because I told her what would happen and I told her not to tell anyone else, and she betrayed that confidence. I just learned to hide my marks and not feel safe telling anyone anything.

This is just me sharing my own personal story however. I completely understand that it is necessary, and that in many cases, it provides solutions, even if it didn't in my case. If the price of a student not being physically harmed at home anymore is that he or she hates me for the rest of their life, that is a small price to pay.

17. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 5, 2012

Once: like 30 years ago. I went to the principal, told him what I had seen in the girl's class journals , and he made the call while I was sitting there. Then I got on the line and had my say. It wasn't a hard decision in that case. I don't even remember if the mandatory thing was in place then: it's common sense (decency?) really, I think.

My mother's career was with CPS. Maybe that made it easier for me.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 5, 2012

First, Peregrin, CPS failed to help you, and should have taken a harder look at the situation.

Yes, I have called about 3 or 4 times in my career. When I was a case manager of teen parents, I would "help" them make the call about themselves. That was not easy.

If they would not, I told them I would call for them.

My last call for for an extreme case, and the child got removed from the home for a year. He was returned, but I doubt if the home was any better.

I called once because a family was feeding a newborn baby whatever formula was on sale. The baby was not doing well on the variety of formula. CPS told me that being stupid was not abuse.

19. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 5, 2012

This debate comes up whenever there is a CPS question, and what you said is not true everywhere. Apparently the laws differ by state. Where you live, it appears that the teacher must contact CPS directly. In others, there are mandated reporters for each school, and they are the ones who contact CPS. In Virginia, the state code says,

If the information is received by a teacher, staff member, resident, intern or nurse in the course of professional services in a hospital, school or similar institution, such person may, in place of said report, immediately notify the person in charge of the institution or department, or his designee, who shall make such report forthwith.

I would strongly encourage all posters to become familiar with the laws and procedures for where they live. We had a teacher in our region fail to report the abuse within 72 hours, and she was arrested and fined.

I've never called CPS, but I have reported to my school's designee, the guidance counselor, twice.

20. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 5, 2012

I have called many times. I cry every time:(. Once I called two times in ten minutes for two different kids. While I was calling for one child, another child shared with my parapro something that had happened the night before.

I think it is best if you call instead of reporting it to a supervisor. One time I called and while they were questioning me something clicked in my head and I realized I was seeing more than what I was calling about. If they had talked to my supervisor that connection might not have been made right away.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 5, 2012

I would have told them, "Stupid people shouldn't breed".

I hope I never have to call but if you have any doubts then talk to someone about it and do it together.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

Yes, and one time I was at school waiting with the child until 6pm (on a Friday) for them to show up. It was scary because we were very afraid the parents were going to show up first.

23. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 5, 2012

"Stupid people shouldn't breed" TeacherNY

Passim, Q.E.D., czacza.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2012

I guess I should clarify that usually I hear about something from someone else. I have only had 1 student in 4 years that I have been concerned about. She is a SPED student, and is not in my classroom very often. Usually I hear from an aide or sped teacher, "Hey, _____ said her brother _____." (This has happened 2 times this year.) So, it has never come first-hand from me.

However, the guidance counselor did announce at a staff meeting that we should be talking to her before reporting, because she knows more about family situations than we do, they may have already reported it, etc.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

Yes, more than once. Our principal asks us to let her know before we make the call as a courtesy and so that the folks in the office know what's happening.