Calling all you Floridians

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rookieABC123, Aug 8, 2008.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

We are trying to plan a vacation to FL in December during Christmas break. My husband thinks we should stay in the Keys (Marathon) because it will be warmer. Is there that big of a difference as far as temp goes between southern FL and the Keys during the winter? We would like to be able to swim and enjoy the beach with the kids (just like it was summertime). We would also like it to be a family friendly place. Any places you could recommend that stay warm enough? Thank you.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

PM mmswm...she lives in south florida :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2008

I'm in Palm Beach county and there might be a difference of several degrees at that time. You'll probably be safe in Dec. to plan 'summer' activities. From January on, the winter is very unpredictable with temps varying greatly, but you will probably consider it very warm in Dec.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

I grew up in Florida and when I come down to South Florida for winter break everyone has ski coats on when I have on jeans and a t-shirt (and it is probably 60 out!). Seriously it hits 60 and they have heat lamps out at the beach bars. I don't think there is that much difference between the keys, miami and fort lauderdale. Maybe 5 degrees at the most.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2008

hahahahaha - When it gets down to 50 degrees, most teachers won't take their kids outside at recess.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

And meanwhile we're like as long as it is above 20 (with windchill factor included) the kids stay out in the AM. Sadly, most of our schools don't have recess.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2008

Oh, I know. We don't usually have gymnasiums for elementary.

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

We have gyms- but when some schools have pre-k - 8 there isn't enough room in them. 1/4 of the school system (0f 100 schools) has recess- for 15 minutes. The rest of the kids go from 8:30 - 2:45 with a 20 minute lunch break- even in kinder.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 9, 2008

Would seem like I live in the area the op is thinking of staying in if the alternative is the keys :D

The nearst towns to the keys is Florida City and Homestead. Both are small, geographically speaking.

Personally, I wouldn't stay in the keys at all in December. It's WAY too crowded down there. Florida City is 20 miles from Key Largo, which is right above Marathon. If you don't want to deal with crowds, I'd look for something in Florida City or Homestead. Homestead is right above Fl. City. I actually live in the northern part of Homestead, and the drive to Key Largo is right at 30 miles. Of course, there's not a whole lot to do in either town, as the good stuff is either south in the keys, or north, closer to Miami.

As far as the temperature is concerned, it will actually be warmer on the mainland because of the wind issue. They Keys, being an island chain, are always windy, and that wind will drop the temp down by quite a bit, especially at night. As upsidaisy said, the difference between Dade, broward and Palm beach counties isn't usually that much.

Also, I agree with upsidaisy about what to expect weather wise. It could be quite warm, or we could have one of our random 3 day "cold" snaps, where it gets down into the *gasp* 50's. While that's not terribly cold for a northerner, it's cold enough to rule out a lot of water activities. You'd still be pretty save planning warm weather activities, just have a back up plan should it get cooler.

Another thing to all you northerners...quit laughing at us for thinking 60 is cold. When you're accustomed to oppressive heat 11 months out of the year, 60 feels quite chilly. I know this is mean, but a lot of us "locals" make a sport out of making fun of northern transplants getting through their first full summer here. They're usually dying by May, but the real heat hasn't really begun, and it won't let up till november at the earliest. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox here. But the point is, everybody gets accustomed to a certain climate and anything outside of that is uncomfortable.

To the OP...as st suggested, feel free to PM me any time. I live in the area and can give you detailed information if you wish.

11. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

Thanks guys this really helps!!!

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

We had to start school early when it was so "cold" a few times this year. It was in the 50s. I went to school in Ohio and they didn't let you in the building early unless it was 15 or below or snowing badly.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 9, 2008

Things to do in Miami, in no particular order:

Miami Metrozoo: The zoo doesn't have the old glory of the pre-andrew days, but it's still cool

Goldcoast Railroad Museum: Not an all day trip, but fun for kids. My kids ask to go all the time and I take them 5-6 times a year and they love it.

Miami Children's Museum: Also a favorite of my boys.

Museum of science and planatarium: My kids love this one too.

Pinecrest Gardens: They built this park when the Parrot Jungle moved to miami beach. It's a great place to play and have a picnic, and best of all, it's free.

Jungle Island: Formerly the Parrot jungle, it's not nearly as cool as it was in the old location and three times the price. I don't like going, but a lot of tourists go and have fun.

The Beaches: Miami Beach is a popular destination, but I don't like it much. I'm more inclined to go to Hollywood beach (a bit farther north), if I go to a "real" beach (I'll explain that later).

Homestead-Bayfront Park: To explain the "real" beach comment, homestad/bayfront is where I always go when I take the kids to the beach. They've made a "pool" out of a small part of the bay. The kids get the sand and the salt water, but there's no waves, and no undertow, so I don't worry as much. Mathison-Hammock Park is another park that does this, but it's always much more croweded than Homestead/Bayfront.

Coral Castle: A "must" if you're coming to Homestead. It's not an all day activity, but it's really cool. It's a small "castle" built entirely out of coral. They mystery of the thing is how the guy did it all by himself with only simple tools. It's really cool, you shouldn't miss it.

The Everglades: The entrance to Everglades National Park is near Homestead, and that's cool, but a trip to the Miccasuke (spelling is off, I know) reservation would also be fun.

Venetian Pool: Seriously cool pool built from an old rock quarry. No children under three even allowed in the gates though. If your kids are older, this is a don't miss activity. There's even caves to swim in and out of.

Deering Estate and Viscaya: Both estates were built by the Deering family, one of the founders of Miami. They're amazing places, and were even featured in TLC's "America's Castles".

Fairchild Tropical Garden: My boys love to go and watch the butterflies.

Miami Seaquarium: Typical Marine life park. It's fun every once in a while.

Those are the first few things I can think of. I'll post again with more stuff and include Ft. Lauderdale (north) and the Keys (south).

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

Fort Lauderdale has:

The Jungle Queen. A little tour boat that goes in the Intercoastal and to a "private island" with aligator wrestling.
    http://www.junglequeen.com/
    Las Olas Blvd (but almost all of that is gone now) Antique and Art shops.
    http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/
    Jaxsons Ice Cream Parlor (in Dania) they have humungous amounts of ice cream and something called "The Kitchen Sink" that comes out with 18 scoops AND sparklers.
    http://miami.citysearch.com/review/2429869

MODS (Museum of Science and Industry) and IMAX. -
    http://www.msichicago.org/
    I think there may be a 1 room school house museum at Riverfront in Fort Lauderdale.
    http://www.oldfortlauderdale.org/education/firstschoolhouse.html

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

Palm Beach County has tons of great activities on and off the beach too.
    MacArthur Beach State Park-has snorkeling and bike paths,a museum and lots of other things beside the nice beach
    Jonathan Dickenson State Park-snake presentations,hiking,camping,canoe rides along the mangroves
    DuBois Pioneer House Museum-one of the first settlers,also has a cool indian mound and nice bathtub beach
    Jupiter Lighthouse Museum-you can climb to the top-great view
    Busch Wildlife Sanctuary-small zoo like refuge for injured animals-has 2 cougars and about 60 other animals.
    Manatee Queen Sightseeing boat tour-
    Juno Beach Pier-300 foot fishing pier
    Juno Beach Park-real nice and easy
    Loggerhead Park-in Jupiter also-Turtle Sanctuary and Museum-real kid friendly-
    Roger Dean Stadium-minor league baseball, and home to the Jupiter Hammerheads
    Abacoa Town Center-outdoor amphitheater for free live music like classic rock etc and lots of kid friendly events.
    Abacoa Country Club-public golf
    North County Aquatic Center-3 pools-in case you get tired of the beach-nice sized kiddie pool and a pool with diving boards
    There's more so pm me if you want to consider Palm Beach-oh yeah-PBI is only 20 min.'s away

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

Also if you like to Shop.

Sawgrass Mills Mall is a large outlet mall in the shape of an aligator. Haven't been in awhile, so not sure what state it is in. I'm pretty sure this is in Sunrise. Lived in Ft Laud 18 years of my life- but my directional sense down there plain old sucks.

Also there is a place called the Swap Shop that is a flea market if you're into that.

17. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

You're right,turtle-it's in Sunrise. And that reminds me of Wanndo City in the mall. It a theme park for kids where they role play careers-there are over 200 jobs for them to choose from. It's interesting and fun for the kids.I think almost every kid in South Florida takes a field trip there.In fact, they have programs that adhere to the sunshine state standards!

18. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Guys, you don't know how much this helps. I will probably me PMing some of you soon as soon as I get a better idea of what part we are going to. thanks so much.