Calling all VA teachers!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by born2teach84, Feb 24, 2008.

1. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

So my husband is being relocated to VA this summer. I will be starting the process of getting a job in Henrico County VA. I am asking for anything and everything you know about this school district and VA all together. I know nothing about this school district except for the things I read off their website. Since I have only taught for two and a half years I am having to retake the praxis and their reading writing exams. Has anybody taken those exams? What are they like? I have filled out the application waiting on my references and then I will send it off. Will they call me for an interview if they like what they see? Who would I interveiw with? This is very different then where I applied for the job I have. THanks again for all your help!!

3. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2008

A few years ago I was looking at their credentialing website. It said if you have taught at least two years with a credential in another state, you didn't have to take any further tests to get a credential in VA. So I guess you would need to provide proof of your teaching experience, in addition to your credential and education. That's all I know. :)

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

The website now says three full years which is why this is so upsetting because I have two and a half years. They wonder why they can't keep teachers....:(

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 24, 2008

It has to do with Va. law -- you are considered an "at will" employee in Virginia until you have completed 3 full years.

Virginia has one of the most sought-after certificates in the country, because it is accepted by reciprocity by almost every state in the Union.

6. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

I see...it is just frusterating because I am terrified to take these exams. I just hate that a few years ago I paid all this money to take the Praxis II (just not the #14)...and now I am just have the feeling that I wont pass these exams. Also Henrico county doesnt post their job lisitings so I don't know how you know a school has openings. Should I send out resume even though I haven't taken the exams yet?

7. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2008

born2teach, I doubt their exams are any tougher than the exams for other states. They are all made by the same two testing companies.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 24, 2008

They aren't any harder. Virginia does require a higher score than the surrounding states, but it isn't hard to do. Get a prep book and study, and you'll do just fine!

9. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

In NC all we had to take was the praxis I and praxis II which I do have to say took me a few times to pass. :( I am headed out to B and N to get some books to study with. I am just not a great test taker.....