Calling All Upper Elementary Gifted Teachers!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 26, 2013

Just curious... who here is a Gifted teacher? I am entering my tenth year of teaching next year, though it will not be fourth grade like all my other years I've announced on here. Rather, it is fifth grade Gifted at one of our district's magnet schools. The gifted academy is housed within the magnet school.

Wondering...
    - Do you do a pull out program, or do you have a homeroom class? I have a homeroom class I will service daily. :)
    - Do you teach one subject or all subjects? I will be teaching all subjects.

I am excited to see who on here teaches Gifted! :)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2013

When I taught sixth grade math and science for most of the day, I also had a pull out period for the fifth and sixth grade GT kids. I did multi-discipline projects with them.

I currently teach self-contained third grade and just differentiate for my gifted and academically advanced kids.

It sounds like you will have a great year. Will you have a website like you have in years past? I doubt I'll ever teach higher than fourth again (unless I move to another district and that's all that is available), but you never know.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2013

I teach 4th grade self contained GT.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 27, 2013

Gifted kids in 3-5 are pulled out one day per week in my district. But I consider that we all teach gifted kids because I have those students 4 days per week and I differentiate for them, as well as struggling students, and other students who need something different. It is not at all unusual in my building for parents to take their child out of the gifted program because they find they would prefer to have them in our building full-time.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2013

I'm a gifted teacher at heart! ;) It's always been a passion of mine. I've never taught upper elementary though, just Kinder and 1st Grade. Our upper elementary classes don't do pull-outs but are departmentalized and one of the rotations is for the GT kids. Recently we haven't had the enrollment to fill a whole class, so it's more like a cluster group-they will fill it with kids who tested high or almost made the cutoff, but we still teach the classes like gifted classes.

There aren't a lot of resources out there for us, so let us know if you find any cool ones! :thumb:

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

I'm a fifth grade ELA/social studies teacher in a magnet gifted program. We are all gifted/all day.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 28, 2013

I did my student teaching on a gifted team. The school had enough kids to have four subject area teachers to make a middle school team of gifted learners. It was a lot of fun and I'm currently seeking a gifted endorsement so I can get back into it.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2013

Neat hearing from everyone! Yes, I will be continuing my website. :) Yet it'll be strange with the love4thgrade things now-- the blog, the Twitter. I may just keep those the same, though, because I taught nine years of fourth grade! :)

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

I'll be teaching gifted collab next year 2-5. Nervous but excited.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 3, 2013

Our school uses a pull out approach for gifted students in addition to placing students on "gifted teams" for 4th and 5th grade. Meaning all of the teachers placed on the team must be gifted certified. The students get one full day a week of all pull out with a designated gifted teacher. Some students placed on the team aren't in gifted, but have been identified as being on a gifted track due to high academics etc..but they haven't passed all the required tests to be in the pull out class. It's a great mix of kids of similar abilities though and works well. I had the opportunity to do gifted K and loved it. I admire you guys who do the upper grades though. My oldest child is in the gifted program and man her group are some focus driven, super competitive, high anxiety at times kiddos! Their gifted teacher is amazing at meeting their older needs though and I applaud her...not sure I could do the older ones!

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2013

Do you guys prefer the pull-out program or gifted homerooms? I will like having a gifted homeroom, five days a week. It TRULY is my dream job teaching-wise. I've dreamed of being a gifted teacher since I was a student. (Feeling nerdy)