Calling All Teachers to Respond!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jessder14, Nov 8, 2002.

1. jessder14

jessder14 Guest

Nov 8, 2002

My name is Michele Davis. I am a previous teacher and published author. I am currently writing a book that is intended to give voice to the teaching profession from those in the trenches each day. The basics of this book are to outline and highlight some of the silly, ridiculous and downright impossible demands placed on teachers each day. I applaud teachers and understand specifically the depth and complexity of the profession. We often hear from administrators and parents, but rarely hear from teachers. This is your chance. For example, in Texas where I taught at the middle school level, there are significant issues with increasing class sizes that make it darn near impossible to do a great job. However, expectations continue to increase on the teachers leading to huge shortfalls in the state. This is a serious problem the “higher ups” can’t or won’t address. I welcome specific instances regarding issues such as these. Please feel free to vent, suggest better ways, provide input on what is important to you, or make me laugh or cry with your stories. I will take good and bad news. I wish to honor teachers and will not defame you in any way. You may send only your first name and state in which you teach if you are uncomfortable sending more detailed information. I will reserve the right to edit as needed to fit the book’s needs. Please forward all comments to jessder14@cableone.com. Please feel free to pass my name and email address on to other teachers.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 12, 2002

Well, I could go on forever on this one! But I thik that one of the biggest "complaints" is that we are forced to pay out of pocket for things, that are needed to teach! I would like to know in what other profession do people have to buy basic supplies for thier office?

4. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Nov 12, 2002

teaching stories

Mrs. Bonneau - Holy Name School - Fall River, MA - grade 4
    As to purchasing items for the classroom, I consider my school to be quite well supplied, but just this week I purchased a socket, two light bulbs, wires, AA batteries all for 2 electricity experiments. Then, I purchased 4 castus plants & cactus soil for the students to make a terrarium. Then I bought 2 African Violet plants & African Violet soil so we could watch these plants grow. Then I bought two bags of potting soil and filled flower pots for seed sprouting. Finally, when they bring in enough clear 2litre soda bottles, we'll cut them near the top, fill them with stones and soil, plant some tiny pines & moss and create sealed terrariums. That's just this week. But I couldn't teach any other way. I love it. We're painting scenery and making paper hats for our original production of The First Thanksgiving. Each student writes their own lines and directs the staging with minor help from me. They are so enthusiastic that I feel as though I am tugging on a rope before they rush headlong into their first acting adventure. This is so serious for them. I love it! maxine

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 13, 2002

teacher with several hats

We were disciplined for not cleaning urine from the boys bathroom. Also a beautiful parrot had been killed on the five acre school grounds. We were disciplined for not BURYING it! Each time I go on an interview, I always inquire about our extra roles because in public school they have thirty minute duty free lunch. And, in this private school, we had to serve the lunch. ruth

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 13, 2002

I feel that I could meet (most) of the innunerable demands placed on me if I was paid for the time. To pay for a 7.5 hour day is ridiculous, and the 25 minute planning period barely puts a dent into what needs to be done. I had to do 26 report cards and had ONE DAY in which to average grades, fill out report cards, AND have conferences with 26 parents! So I spent alllll weekend getting my stuff together so I could conference only on that one day. I had to stay after school yesterday to grade a standardized test- 2 hours! and did NOT get paid! My principal said he'd let us go early next Monday on our staff development day. Yeah right, like I'll be able to leave early! And to top it all off, the school board says they're going to furlough us that day because they overspent their budget! They are not going to pay us for 5 days this year to save money, allow 5 less days for the kids to learn, and then tear their hair out in amazement as to why tests scores aren't going up! Please, pay me for a longer workday, because I work it. This seems slightly more realistic than asking for less demands- all I ask is that you compensate me for it!! Thanks for letting me vent. Angela Powell, Prince Georges County Public School System, Maryland.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 13, 2002

I have one thing to say as a preschool teacher- the amount of money we get and the teacher supplies is a big struggle for me on a daily basis.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 14, 2002

There was a new school recently built in our district and our numbers for teachers was "adjusted" unfortunately our student numbers really did not go through the same "adjustment". Because we have less teachers we now have extra duties- including extra curricular activities like ball games. Instead of working two games a year, I heard recently we may be required to work as many as 6... on top of everything else, I sometimes wonder how any of us make it.

9. jbutler

jbutler Guest

Nov 14, 2002

student

Hello Ms. Davis.
    My name is John butler and I am a student at Indiana University (Bloomington). I am a senior majoring in secondary education, social studies. I know you are very busy with your work, however, if you could guide me in a particular direction, I would be very appreciative. I am looking for advice more than anything.
    I am 26 years of age, recently married, in the Army Reserve, and am desperately wanting to become a Social Studies teacher and football coach. I want ot be seen as someone who can teach students the value of history as well as be apart of students lives on the football field. I have many concerns covering many different aspects of the teaching profession, however, one particular situation that arises often is the stereotypes that come with telling people, especially current teachers, that I want to teach social studies and coach.
    I get remarks such as: "If you can coach, you'll find a job," and "I can't stand our football coach, he gets whatever he wants and he isn't a very good teacher." Do other teachers and school administrators all think that a person must be incompetent or incapable of being a great teacher because of the interest in coaching? Personally, I find it offensive and I can't imagine how I would take it if I were a current teacher and knew people thought of me in that manner. Do you have any suggestions on how to change the attitudes of these people or to ease my mind about not being seen as a serious educator?
    Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    I have some friends that are recent graduates and are new teachers ranging from their third to first years. I will pass your email to them incase they have some stories for your book.
    thanks for your time.
    John Butler--A desperate student.