Calling all teachers for advice

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by CareBear, Aug 10, 2005.

1. CareBear

CareBear Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I have an issue that is bothering me and I really need some advice fast! I have been searching for a teaching job since I graduated last Dec. I subbed last spring long and short term. I have sent out numerous resumes and had 2 interview. One of the interviews was in a school I student taught and subbed in. I know most of the staff and am extremely familiar with the school. The position was given to some one else. I was quited bummed about it. I have come to the realization that I will probably not find a teaching job this year and I am satisfied with subbing. I have had some long term sub jobs mentioned to me for later this year.

Now here is my issue... The school that I was in half of the year, and didn't hire me for the teaching job wants to know if I would want to be an aide. I know that if I sub I could work alot in this school along with some other area schools. I just don't know anymore that if it would be that beneficial for me to be an aide just to stay within the school for a teaching job next year since this year they knew me very well and I still wasn't selected. I just need to hear some opinions. Thank you! :confused:

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 10, 2005

The last two years, both of our aides were hired as teachers the following years. If a new classroom happens to open up in the middle of the year, you might be considered for that.

4. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 10, 2005

Settling for an aide position might just be what you have to do to get a job in this district. The fact that they didn't hire you this year does not mean that they won't next year. If there was only one position, I'm sure the competition was stiff. You have to do what sounds best to you but I say accept the aide position.

5. NikkiP

NikkiP New Member

Aug 10, 2005

Think about it~!

I think you should think about becoming an aide because I did that as soon as I graduated last December as well and found that I absolutely hated it. You aren't a teacher at all, you are a teacher's slave instead and you don't learn as much from being an aide as you do subbing. I enjoyed subbing a lot more and I got a job in the district that I student taught in and then after I received that job I was called more for subbing so it all worked out great. I would say think about being an aide seriously and just weigh your options and see what works for you! Good luck!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 10, 2005

I would be careful. If they know you and you have already subbed there and student taught there they may over look you next time a job comes around. I have been a para for two yrs at the school I work at. They had two kindergarten positions, they decided to hire people that didn't work at the school.
    I can't find a teaching job either. I'm looking into para jobs at other schools.

7. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

The school where I teach usually doesn't hire it's subs, because subs are so hard to find. They used to pull from the sub pool because they knew exactly what they were getting, but then the sub pool diminished so drastically and someone figured out why. Not necessarily fair, but that's the way it works.

The last district that I worked at looked at the certified teachers working as aides before looking at outside candidates. Their theory was that paras were a dime a dozen .... it was obviously a long time since any of these administrators were in a classroom. I think paras are golden.

8. CareBear

CareBear Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am still thinking about what I am going to do. I seem to be leaning towards subbing. I know that I could probably sub everyday in the area that I am in. Thanks again!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 11, 2005

What's the difference between pay if you sub every day, or take the aide position?

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2005

A few of our aides have been hired as teachers. I recommend keeping everyone aware throughout the year that you want a teaching position. If they don't hire you after that, leave the school. If they don't hire you once, sticking around isn't going to change their minds.

11. m1ckeymouse

m1ckeymouse Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

I became a tutor in a school in which I had done student teaching and long term sub positions. I also was given an interview when a job came up, but I was not hired. However, they later called offering me another long term sub position. I now have a teaching job in a district that I never subbed in or did any work in. I've now seen the same thing happen in my own district. A dedicated, hard working sub applied for an opeing, had a lot of references from us teachers, and still did not get the job but was later asked to do a long term the following year. I'd agree with the others that schools often do not hire their dedicated help such as yourself. Be careful!!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2005

It depends on what school system you work for. Here the daily sub rate is between 65 and 90 dollars a day. For an ed tech III (para) it's between 11 and 13 dollars an hour. So the low range for ed tech is around 385 a week, the high range is 455. So it all depends on where you sub.The downfall to subbing is some days they just don't need a sub, and you don't get benefits.

13. CareBear

CareBear Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

Well I decided not to take the aide position and sub this year. I had to think what would be best for me and I decided that keeping myself and name in a variety of area schools would be best. If I sub most the year I will make more money than I would being an aide. I feel that I can stay very busy subbing. I also feel that since I just graduated in Dec., I want to spend more time in the classroom getting experience and gathering ideas. I know I made the right decision. Thanks everyone for their opinions! :rolleyes: :thanks:

14. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 12, 2005

Congrats on making your decision--sounds like you feel good about your choice. Hope everything works out for you and you find your "dream" job soon. :)

15. DarthAlan

DarthAlan Rookie

Aug 22, 2005

My wife was in the same situation that you are in. She was turned down for a job, then she took an aide position for a few months in feb-june. She then got offered a job at the same school (the highest paying district in the county). So, I think that the aide thing is a good thing to do, though my wife made it very clear to the principal that she was taking the job to get to know the staff better so that she would be a better teacher there the following year.