Calling all teacher moms/pregnant teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cocobean, Jan 15, 2018.

1. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jan 15, 2018

So I’m due mid April and I feel like I should get started on my sub plans. I want to get the general classroom management and schedules done, and focus on the actual lesson plans when it gets a bit closer.

My questions for you:
    How detailed were your plans?
    Did you plan for the first week or two and then leave a curriculum map of sorts? Or did you essentially plan for every day?
    Tell me everything I need to know!

(PS I teach third grade, all subjects! And I will be out for the remainder of the school year.)

XWordHobbyist likes this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2018

I planned for my whole leave because I taught a specialized subject. I basically made a table with weeks going down the left side and each column had that week's lessons, activities, and quizzes. I left master copies of everything and instructed the sub to get copies made. I typed up a few pages about classroom procedures and whatnot, like bold headings with a brief description about how things worked. My sub told me that it was really handy.

If I had taught a different subject, especially a subject taught by other teachers at the school, I would have planned only for the first two weeks and left the rest up to my sub.

XWordHobbyist likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 16, 2018

I did three long-term jobs.

In the first instance, the teacher was gone for six weeks in the middle of the school year. She left me very detailed activities and timetable so she could be ready to pick right back up in her long-term plan when she returned.

In the second instance, the teacher left with 12 weeks left of school. She left me with a list of topics that needed to be covered, and I made the plans myself.

The third one was an entire year. I received an outline of what a typical year looked like, but I arranged everything myself.

I was certified in the area, so that helped. I once had a long-term sub, and he was subbing while waiting to take the state trooper exam. I had to leave him extremely detailed items.

If you can get your sub to come in and shadow you a few times before you leave, that might make the transition better.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 16, 2018

I left plans for all eight weeks. I teach fifth grade, all subjects. I also left plans for all small groups. I made master copies of all the assignments.

6. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Jan 16, 2018

I did two long-term sub positions. The first was for a pre-K teacher from February to April. She left no plans besides the main topic for each week (such as bugs or friends). There were two aides in that class so they took care of the first week I was there (since the teacher had already been on maternity leave for a month) and I planned the rest of the term.

The second was immediately after and went from April to June in a 2nd grade class. This teacher had to start her maternity leave early due to complications but she already had the Words Their Way prepped for the rest of the year. She ran me through the standards that still needed to be taught for everything else and left it to me to teach how I wanted while following the pace the grave level team was doing. I also had an aide in that class who was extremely helpful getting me accustomed to the classroom.

I'd say if your sub is certified, leave some of the planning to them. Maybe have the first couple weeks ready for them. If you're out for the rest of the year, it's not like you'll be walking back into chaos. I know that's easier said than done. I've never been on maternity and I'm not sure how well I could hand over the reigns of my classroom.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2018

I left materials for each week in boxes/folders.
    And an outline of what skills/standards should be covered

But I didn’t leave daily plans

8. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jan 16, 2018

Loving all the advice, especially from long term subs who took on maternity leaves!

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 18, 2018

Mine weren't terribly detailed, mostly just the outline. My sub, a veteran teacher, completely ignored them and did her own thing.

For something as long as maternity leave, I really do think the sub ought to be certified enough to ultimately do the individual lesson plans (curriculum map can be left up to the teacher). It's simply impossible to fairly reach kids on detailed lesson plans for 6 weeks or more.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2018

We aren't responsible for doing detailed plans for anything longer than the first couple of days and our long-range outline. All subs are certified teachers and are expected to be able to do the planning.

MissScrimmage and Backroads like this.
  11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 18, 2018

Leaving detailed plans for your entire leave seems daunting for you and unrealistic for another teacher to follow. What if there is an assembly? Or a fire drill? Or the students need longer or shorter with a specific skill? I think leaving the first couple of days planned and then outline of what needs to be covered for the rest of the leave is more than enough for a certified teacher to be able to go from.