Calling all Social Studies teacher...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by luv2teach415, Sep 6, 2007.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 6, 2007

I don't know where to start with my social studies lesson planning. I'm trying to follow the state standards for NY but they say that Unit One of the standard focuses on the life at the time of the American Revolution. The American Revolution does not occur until Chapter 4 in the Social Studies textbook. My school does not have a curriculum map and I'm just lost and confused and don't know what sort of timeline to follow with my lesson planning. Any advice? Or help on a timeline to follow?

3. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2007

social studies help

Hi! I hope i can help. I teach 6th grade and our curriculum is the ancient world... so not sure if i will be much help.. lol... well i would follow the standards for NY. if it says that unit one of the standards is the american revolution, then start the AR even it is chapter 4... it is not a big deal if you skip around the text book... we all do it.... i would follow the state standards and just skip around if your school does not have a curriculum map.... hope that helps....

4. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 6, 2007

I don't start until chapter 5 with my 8th graders. But I do spend a couple of weeks doing a quick review just so they have the background.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 6, 2007

our social studies textbook is SUPER dense and our kids had a very difficult time following it last year. i'm starting this year off with US symbols, then US regions, then a quick overview of explorers before we start colonial america. perhaps you might want to touch on explorers and colonial america to give them some background on the american revolution? i found a book called History Pockets that has passages & activities covering the 13 colonies, i can scan a couple pages for you to check out if you need some resources other than your text to consider.

6. I<3Kids

I<3Kids New Member

Sep 11, 2007

I started off with geography. We did latitude and longitude lines, then went on the 5 themes, then to regions, and now we are on landforms. This is all a review of last year but boy do they need this review!! Plus we don't have Social Studies books yet so I am having to pull from other resources!!

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 12, 2007

I start with a "What is History?" lesson where three kids wear different hats or use different props- they dress up as a chef, scholar, and detective. I then explain how those different roles are important in Social Studies. Social Studies is actually one of my more hands-on subjects... and we start with geography (which is where we build the three-dimensional Florida map with the regions and cities labeled). They paint the posterboards and use clay to show elevation. It's wonderful. :) We're doing this maybe next week or the week after. It depends on how far we are by Friday.

8. darzie

darzie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Thanks, Ms. Jasztal. I'm always looking for ways to make SS a bit more fun, as I feel it can be somewhat dry. It was never my favorite subject. We begin with Early Americans in our fifth grade curriculum and END with the American Revolution. Any other websites or ideas for a hands-on SS approach to be used along with the text would be most appreciated!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

I start the year with a week of geography: latitude, longitude, continents, oceans, cardinal and intermediate directions, map skills, types of maps, etc. Then we dive in on chapter 3. For us that's ancient Central America and work our way forward. I'm in Nebraska though, and its standards are "by then end of fourth grade...by the end of eighth grade...by the end of twelfth grade..." follow your standards. I know it can be a temptaion to cling to the textbook like a life preserver (I did it my first few years), but try instead to see it as a supplemental resources. Teach to the standards regardless of where the information is in the textbook. Feel free to bring in other activities and resources as well. The textbook is not a bible. ;)

10. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

I too teach in NY. I begin the year with geography, then Native Americans, Exploration, Colonial America, The Rev. War, and so on, up until Reconstruction. I suggest you at least review colonial times because it's useful to know why the Rev. War occured.