Calling all pregnant teachers....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jeky, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2013

Usually it means no sex.

2. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2013

That's right. They didn't explain very much to me, so I hope everything turns out to be ok in 8 weeks!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 24, 2013

Far, I had partial placenta previa with my first. It moved up on its own. :) I know it's hard, but try not to stress about it.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2013

Thanks!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

Ah, got it! I'll be thinking of you FFH!

6. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

Has anyone gone back to work yet? I really had a nice break and got to spend time with my 3 year old; it's hard to imagine that it might be our last break without another little one around.
    I am gearing up to go back on Monday. I have 7 weeks until my due date and I am hoping it goes by FAST! I'm looking forward to the *idea* of going back to work, but I'm a little worried about the physical aspect of it. I just have to find ways to sit down throughout the day......normally I am on my feet all day long.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2014

I go back on Monday, but students don't come back until Wednesday. I'm not looking forward to it because I was having a hard time being on my feet in December. I rarely sit at all since my classes range from 30-45 minutes. My feet were swelling up in December and it was really worrying me because that shouldn't be happening yet. But I also had 6 concerts/performances and 2 dress rehearsals in December. The next few months should be a little easier!

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 3, 2014

We go back Monday. I'm not looking forward to it at all. The week of Valentine's Day is my last week, but that seems like so long in class time. Haha

I know I'll have a hard time finding times I can sit down, but I'll have to do it. Even over the break, I've had to take more time to sit and rest throughout the day. Here's hoping these last few weeks don't kick my tail! :)

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

I would recommend two things to each of you, (1) get a stool that you are comfortable sitting on; (2) get a doctor's excuse that says you need to sit more. When I was having problems with my sciatic nerve, I couldn't stand long. My doctor wrote an excuse for me to teach sitting. I turned in a copy to front office and kept one in my lesson plan binder for any visitors. Also, if you are doing duty, it is possible to be excused from that also.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations! I have a rolling chair that might work. I don't think my administration will have any problem with me sitting more-the problem is that it's hard to sit at all with kindergarten and first grade! I feel like it's so much easier to stay on top of behavior and any issues while standing. But I know I need to do it anyway when my feet are already starting to swell!

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 5, 2014

Far--please take care of you first and foremost! When I was pregnant with my first, I had to teach 4th and 5th graders how to research for the very first time, in the library, in a rolling chair! It was extremely frustrating at the time, but it was that or bedrest.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2014

Yes, I'm definitely not going to jeopardize the baby! I'm very happy that I'll have less after school groups during second semester, so that should help too.

13. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 12, 2014

How's everyone feeling?

I'll be 35 weeks this week, and I can't believe how time has flown! I can't wait to meet my baby girl, but I also hope time goes by slowly.

We started back to school last week (only a few days due to snow) and I was so exhausted this weekend! I have tried to rest up as much as possible, but feel like I'm going into the week with a tank running on empty. I'm hoping getting back into the routine will help and I'll adjust, but I have a feeling this is what it'll be like until the end...
    Really, other than being tired, dealing with some swelling, and issues with carpal tunnel (nothing new, only worse in pregnancy), I feel pretty good. Only a few more weeks!

How is everyone else?

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2014

I'm 23 weeks now. Work has been tough. My feet hurt really bad on Friday and felt like they were going to pop that night. They didn't really look that swollen to me, but they must be swelling up. I definitely need to work more on finding ways to sit. It just is really difficult in my current position.

I will actually only be working until 32 weeks. My husband is getting out of the military and I have to make sure I go home before it's too late to fly. It's too expensive here to live off of just my salary to finish out the year. I hadn't posted about this before, but I've notified my principal and team at school, so I feel ok about posting it now. I'm looking forward to getting time off before the baby is born. Now I just wish I could find a way to take my sick days and get paid for the rest of the year!

15. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jan 13, 2014

Oh my, I completely understand that. I get really bad acid reflux if I allow my stomach to get empty. I keep plenty of snacks on hand, but it's so easy to get caught up in teaching and not realize I'm hungry until I'm feeling sick. It's tough for sure! I'm 22 weeks, and I've had to do this the whole time so far.

I let myself get pretty hungry today around 3:00 p.m. As a result, I can't eat dinner, and I'm trying to eat some Rolaids and drink some milk. That sometimes helps me a little bit.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2014

27 weeks now! Braxton hicks started in full force today (or at least I'm now feeling them). Hopefully they ease up because it scared the crap outta me at first! I didn't really have them with my son so it really freaked me out at first. Feeling ok, just tired and have a sore back. I'm hoping to make it for several more weeks at work because then I am home with my 3 year old...so there's no resting for mommy! I'm hoping to last until March 28 (due April 14 and repeat c-section the week before).

Hugs to us all!!

17. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jan 13, 2014

Since this is my first pregnancy, I'm not sure about some things. My principal knows I'm pregnant, but do I need to approach her about maternity leave now? Or is it too early? I'm due in May, so someone will need to cover for me the last few weeks of school (assuming all goes as planned).

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2014

I would approach her...you are far enough along that you should be thinking about it. I'm due in April and my P is already interviewing for my maternity leave in case something happens and I need to go out early. Plus, at least in my district, I have paperwork to fill out too. You will need to talk to someone in your HR department about maternity leave too.

19. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jan 13, 2014

I guess I'll finally join in the party :p Congratulations to everyone. I'm 21 weeks and feeling good. I had some all day sickness for the fist few months but have felt great since. I've really started to feel a lot more movement the past few weeks so that's been fun! I have told my principal and some of the staff and am now just kind of letting the news work it's way through the rumor mill. One question I do have... did you all tell your students or parents yet? And if so, how did you do so? I teach first grade and I just wonder exactly how to bring it up or if I even should.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2014

I sent a letter home the day I announced it to the staff. I sent a half sheet letter telling them the news and that I planned to still be in contact with the sub once I left. Most of them sent me notes congratulating me. I work in a small schol (just under 500 kids) so news travels fast. I told the kids one day during morning meeting. They were so excited! Right before I found out if it was a boy or girl, we did a prediction chart. They've been really excited to see my belly grow!

21. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jan 13, 2014

I am almost 35 weeks....I was back all week last week after Christmas Break and felt surprisingly OK. Some days were better than others but in general I thought it went pretty well.

For some reason though, today was awful. I just had no energy at all. I'm hoping it's just Monday and tomorrow I get a little energy back. Lately I have been getting major round ligament pains on the underside of my belly. When I turn over in bed I feel like all of my tendons are going to rip apart! I think it has to do with the fact that I am carrying a bit lower than I did with my daughter.

Also I have tons of Braxton Hicks contractions throughout the day....fun fun fun! One day at a time.....I'm planning to work up until 39 weeks, so about 4 weeks to go! I can do it!!

22. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jan 13, 2014

I feel ya! Having to come home and take care of my 3-year-old after working all day is sooooo exhausting! Although I have to admit it prevents me from having time to feel sorry for myself, haha! Luckily DH is super helpful and understanding.

I keep thinking about when I was pregnant with her and I would come home from work and sit on the couch for a couple of hours to recover from the day......and I thought THAT was hard! :lol:

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2014

I told my principal at 12 weeks. I didn't want to start showing and have her figure it out without me telling her. We've already had some interviews for my sub, but then I will be leaving mid-March.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2014

I wish my dh was helpful :( sigh.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2014

Super scary moment yesterday- I was sitting on a stool directing my kids to get books and I got dizzy and passed out and fell and hit my head on the floor. Thankfully I am ok aside from a rug burn on my knee, a bad headache and a black and blue face. I spent time at the ob office and the er yesterday. They wrapped me up in lead bc they really wanted to do a head ct with how bad my head hurt. Thankfully aside from a mild concussion there was no fracture or bleed. They have no idea what causes it and hopefully it was a fluke thing. But it was definitely scary!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2014

Oh Leigh... Glad it wasn't anything too serious. Could it have been the way you were sitting & you pinched a nerve or something????

27. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 16, 2014

Oh no, Leigh! I hope you're not too sore, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse!

I've been having a lot of trouble with dizzy spells and high(er) blood pressure this last week. I ended up spending the day with my OB earlier in the week. I was hooked up to monitors and had another ultrasound to check on the baby. Fortunately, she's not experiencing distress and my "symptoms" are still pretty light to be anything they're worried about. I'm just taking it easy for now and waiting for the next visit, when I suspect she'll tell me I can't go back to work...

I'll be thinking about you, Leigh! I hope it was a one-time thing and won't happen again.:hugs:

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2014

Oh no! I hope it was a one time thing and that you feel better soon! That's so scary!

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

leigh, I hope that all is well!

30. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jan 19, 2014

Thanks for your reply. I think I would have to get my principal's permission to send a letter but maybe I will. One of our most "social" parents overheard another teacher talking to me about the baby the other day so the news has probably made it to most of my parents anyway. :haha: Maybe I'll just tell the kids and let them go home and tell (or retell) their parents.

31. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jan 19, 2014

That is so scary! I'm glad it was nothing too serious and I hope you feel better soon!

32. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jan 24, 2014

Wow leigh, so scary! I have definitely had a few dizzy moments but luckily I have always managed to sit down and take some deep breaths in time.

Well this week almost did me in. I am SO tired. It's really my own fault; I am not doing very well at taking it easy while at work; I am still trying to push myself like I normally do. Luckily only 13 work days left for me. I'm counting down the days...

I had my 36-week appointment yesterday and baby is head down, hooray! I also got my updated TDaP shot; man that thing made my arm SORE! I was wincing all day today every time I had to lift my arm.

How is everyone else doing?

33. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 24, 2014

I am completely worn out! I can't seem to slow down! Of course, I know it's my own fault, too.

We had our 36 wk on Monday, and our gal is head down too! I knew that before she told me based on the pains I've been having down low...and the fact I've now perfected "the waddle." :rolleyes:

Right now I'm scheduled for 10 more work days, but my dr doesn't expect me to last that long. She thinks I'll go early again. I can't believe it's so close!

Hope everyone is doing ok. Leigh, how are you feeling after your fall?

34. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I'm 25 weeks today. My feet are still getting swollen from standing so much, but I'm trying to sit at least a little bit with my upper grade levels.

Does anyone know anything about fifths disease/parvovirus? Some cases have been reported in my school. I've definitely had the kids in class, since I see everyone in the school. The doctor did one blood test and said I was immune and don't have to worry about it. But another pregnant teacher at my school said she's immune, and still has to get blood tests every 2 weeks. Just hoping everything is ok-I haven't been very happy with my medical care and am looking forward to moving and choosing my own doctor at 32 weeks.

35. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

Oh, and I'm going to get a 3D ultrasound tomorrow!! I would have liked to wait a little longer cause I've heard the pictures are better, but my husband is moving before me and I'd like to see the baby together before he leaves.

36. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

I had a 3D at 20 weeks of one twin (the other wasn't cooperating). It was so fun! Just know that the baby will look odd. My friend got so upset because she thought her baby was ugly but she came out perfect, like all babies:)

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2014

All I know about 5ths is once you have it you build up an immunity. It's usually young kids that get it. It looks like redlines (think like lacy/spider web looking..under skin).

My sis had 3D Ultra sound.

Do you all have names picked out?! FFH...have you thought about your hospital bag?

38. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2014

I have a name I like, but I'm not completely sure about it. My husband sometimes likes it and sometimes doesn't. I'm so indecisive!

I haven't thought about a hospital bag yet. Probably won't until after I move at 32 weeks.

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2014

I know we had it narrowed down & named when we saw baby!!!
    Make sure you get a bag early. I told my sis this she was starting to get stuff together had baby early, so was nice to have some of that around!!!

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 25, 2014

Far, are you sharing your name idea? We went to the hospital thinking cole would be Zachary or Andrew. Four days after he was born we named him Colton. I never had a bag ready. Haha