Calling all Music Teachers or anyone else with some advice????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by txmomteacher2, Jan 9, 2006.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2006

Ok I need some help. A small school district not far from my house has a posting for a music teacher. I called the office this morning and asked if I should apply. I am EC-4 certified and have a Masters in Teaching. The personnel director's secretary encouraged me to apply so I am assuming there havent been to many applicants. Here in lies my problem. Although I play a musical instrument, can read music, and have a general overall love for ALL music I have never even subbed in a music class.Ok well I lied I have subbed but we watched Shrek 4 times in one day. I know given half a chance I can teach the kids. My question is what do I teach? What kind of things do you guys do in your classes? WHat kind of questions will they ask me in the interview(if I get one) Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2006

You might as well apply- rewrite your resume if needed to highlight your musical knowledge/experience. Would you be considered "highly qualified" to teach music under NCLB? That MIGHT cause you a problem, but I'm not sure since I'm not a music teacher.....

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2006

I dont know about the highly qualified part either. I have all ready applied, she put my file in the pile so to speak. (small pile since I think I am the only applicant so far) We shall see what happens. The worst they could do is ignore my application and not give me an interview. SOmething that I am quite used to.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 10, 2006

6. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Jan 10, 2006

This is my 4th year teaching k-6 music. If you can read music, play a little piano, have tons of energy & love music you should do fine. Silver Burdett Ginn have music textbooks & I teach from these. They have lessons based on the elements of music (melody, harmony, rhythm, form, texture, expression). Check out http://www.sbgmusic.com/ for more info & downloadable scope/sequence of all the lessons in their texts. When I was in college my professors drilled into us to USE these texts, because they are aligned to the national standards of music. The resource book has time-saving worksheets/quizzes. The BEST part about these texts is they come with CD's of all the music. The kids absolutely love the CD music, because it's much more exciting to sing to than piano alone. I really don't use my piano on a daily basis-just to reinforce pitches. In addtion to the text I do a lot of "singing-voice" pitch matching "games" with my younger students. The book 1,2,3 Echo Me has lots of good ideas. Oh! www.musicinmotion.com is a great website with resources for music teachers. You will probably be expected to direct a music program for each grade level each year & there are catalogs full of programs.

As far as interview questions, you will be asked the usual stuff like how you discipline, what your classroom would be like, etc. I can't remember any specific question right now I've been asked, but honestly, I never think the interviewers ask much that really has to do with music as they do discipline questions. Anyway, I will stop rambling & wish you the best of luck! If you need any more help, let me know!

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2006

I've never met a music teacher around here who didn't have a minor in music or something similar. However, if you are musically inclined and think you could pull off putting on recitals and doing music specials then maybe you will fit right in. If it were for higher education then I'd be a little concerned, but at this age they learn more about rhythm, music appreciation, and musical instruments. It's not like you'll be teaching 4th graders anything about excelerated music theory or anything. Good luck.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2006

Thanks for everyone's input. I haven't heard from them about an interview yet so maybe they are waiting for more people to apply. We shall see.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 11, 2006

Do you play the piano? Usually the music teacher has to accompany at performances.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 11, 2006

Our Music teachers K-5 don't. I know 2 out of 3 of them play, but they both use the CD's even for performances.

11. HSinger

HSinger Rookie

Jan 14, 2006

I'm a Music Teacher in Texas, K-6. We just adopted a new music book series in Texas. It has some AWESOME stuff. I very rarely use the piano in my classes. I do a lot of singing with my students, and I play a lot of singing/music games with the students. I have a hard time getting my students involved. They would rather be at PE. The teacher before me sort of ruined the students enjoyment in coming to my class. I use ANYTHING that helps. I'm always on-line looking for new and fun things to try. Nothing will ever go as smoothly as you wish it would BUT as long as you think it's fun and act like it's fun, most of the students are going to think it's fun as well. If you need to ask any questions ever, don't hesitate to e-mail.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2006

I actually dont play the piano. I play the flute and the piccolo. Could probably bumble through the recorder. Guess I would just have to use Cd's at any kind of performance.