Calling All First Year Teachers

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by wannateachtx, Jun 26, 2007.

1. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

I am a grad student hoping to get a paid internship. I was wondering if there were some NEW teachers that would be willing to share what they were asked in their interviews. The job seekers board is great, but a lot of the questions there pertain to teachers that have been teaching already or that have teaching experience. I am looking for questions posed to first year teachers. Thanks!

3. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jun 26, 2007

Same as any others

My experience (and I've just been hired as an intern and am a first year teacher) was that they asked the same questions, and all of those questions can be found on the Jobs Board.

What type of experience have you had up to this point? I had to teach many lessons in actual classrooms, so I was able to draw on that experience when they asked specific questions about my teaching style and lesson planning. This year I also worked as an assistant in a classroom and occasional sub, which also helped me answer questions.

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

Hey there, I am in your same boat- from Texas and looking for an internship! But, I did have a formal interview last week (that looks promising) so maybe I can help you out some.

Are you wanting to teach HS or elementary...? I'm HS and here are some of the questions they asked me-

Do you work better alone or in groups?
    Tell me a time you went above and beyond what was required of you?
    What could you bring to your team that is different/beneficial?
    How do you feel about teacher attendance?
    What is a normal day for a teacher?
    How important are parents/parent communication?
    How do you motivate the student who has his head on his desk?

If you are teaching HS I have TONS more questions that Ive had to fill out from districts around DFW which have showed up in both the formal and informal interview Ive had. Also, in your grad work they should be preparing you with classroom management techniques and different ideas on learning styles n such. If they ask you something you might not be able to answer because of the lack of classroom experience you could always say "Since I havn't been in a classroom yet I don't have hands on experience with that but what I invision myself doing in that situation is..."

Be honest and be yourself =o)

HTH

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 26, 2007

Some questions I was asked:
    How do you differentiate instruction?
    How do you use technololgy in your classroom?
    How do you help the child that doesn't like to read?
    How do you handle discipline? What does your classroom management plan look like?

6. Lindsey241

Lindsey241 Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

A lot of the questions I was asked during interviews were the same over and over. The questions the Amers listed were ones that every district asked me regardless of the grade level that was looking to be filled.

Here are the questions that surprised me or were somewhat unique.

How should a teacher dress for their job?
    Talk me through a lesson start to finish.
    What would you do if your principal told you to do something you disagreed with?
    If I walked into to our classroom, what would I see? Take me on a mini tour of your room.
    What would you do if you caught a student cheating?
    Tell me how much time you would like to devote to each subject within the school day.
    How should a teacher act in the hallway?
    What radio station do you listen to? (I have no clue why he asked me this question)
    What is the last book you read for fun?

On one interview, an administrator asked me to grade myself on how well the interview went.

7. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

What would you do if you and another teacher did not see eye to eye?
    They asked about the reading program that they used..so make sure you know about that.
    Why do you feel it is important to be a team player?
    Tell me about your classroom management.
    How do you plan on getting the parents involved in your classroom?
    What is the role of an assistant?

8. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

I interviewed at 2 schools and the questions were very similar:

If we came into your classroom during reading what would we see?
    What qualities do you have that will benefit you in teaching?
    How would you integrate technology into your classroom?
    What type of plan would you have for managing behavior?
    What area in teaching do you think you could use the most improvement?
    What do you expect your students to learn while in your classroom?

Even though I this will be my first year teaching I still answered the questions using experience from my student teaching and field base block experience. They will know that you don't have other experiences to reflect on. You could also answer "this is how I plan to.." GOOD LUCK!!

9. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

The most difficult question I had was:

Give an example of a standards based lesson plan that considers multiple learning styles.

And, there is a child crying in the corner of your classroom. Tell me what you would do?

10. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

1. It's October and 6 of your students have shown no progress. What would you do?

2. What plans do you have for discipline and classroom management?

3. Are you familiar with TERC Investigations for Math? (in other words, if you can try to become familiar with the curriculum that school uses so you can tell them what you know about what they teach. I had NO clue what this was on my interview and she accepted that and changed the question to - how do you teach math? .. so it's up to you how you tackle this question)

4. WHat do you know about guided reading and using it in the classroom?

5. What do you know about writing workshop and using it in the classroom?

6. Tell me about a lesson that went well and why you liked it and why you know it went well.

7. How do you plan on including diverse learning levels and abilities and students ELL students?

8. Tell me about a moment of conflict between you and someone in your last school, how did you handle it?

9. Tell mea bout yourself and why you are best for this position?

10. Do you speak Spanish? (i hate when they ask this cause my answer is always No.... .. though I always add... but i'm looking forward to taking classes to learn!)

11. tell me about a lesson that didn't go well and what you did to make it work.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2007

Thank you everybody!