Calling all English teachers! Need a good vocabulary builder for high school students!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pinkcupcake90, Nov 4, 2015.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Nov 4, 2015

Do you guys know of any good vocabulary building books that I can use for my highschoolers? I want to enhance their vocab, so I was trying to find a book that has worksheets and whatnot.

How can I help them develop an extensive vocabulary? I was thinking of giving them ten SAT words a week and having a quiz every month on the 40 words. Any other suggestions?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 4, 2015

I've tried everything under the sun, and I have yet to find something that truly seems to work.
    This year, I'm pretty happy with what I am doing with my juniors.

I found a list online of vocab words that all HS grads should know. For bell work, students have to record the info that is displayed on screen (a PowerPoint slide). The PowerPoint slide has the new word and a representative image at the top. The rest of the slide is divided into 3 columns. The 1st column is the word and part of speech. There is an empty space in this column that will eventually contain the definition. The 2nd column contains 2 sentences using the word - I try to make the sentences "real" for HS students and usually use a student's name. The 3rd column is synonyms and antonyms. Students record all of this info into a notebook they keep in my classroom. Their notebook pages are divided into 3 columns. Then, once I'm done with roll, etc. We discuss the word and make predictions (based on the context clues from the sentences and the synonyms/antonyms) about the definition. 99% of the time, I can use the definition they create. Every now and then, I use a more accurate definition. I type in the definition into the empty space on the first column and they record it in their notebook. Then, every dozenish words, we have a quiz. They use their notebooks to study.

I like this because it mirrors how most of us figure out new words (context clues and clues from related words).

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2015

I align my vocab with the literature I'm teaching. I selected a list from an SAT book years ago, and I introduce words that we can use to discuss and write about the lit. I'll keep a list up on the overhead while we're reading, and at appropriate points I'll pause and ask what vocab word is called for then and have students use it in a sentence. I don't do matching tests; I incorporate the vocab words into test questions and usually have a written response in which students have to use a number of them. It's worked pretty well for me.