calling all DIY-ers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Shilo, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jul 24, 2003

My husband and I are big DIY-ers. We moved to our new place 3 1/2 months ago and have fixed up most rooms. Our kitchen cabinets need to be redone, but replacing them isn't within our budget right now. They are white formica (sp?), both the cabinets themselves and the doors (plain rectangles, not designs or handles). I know you can't just paint formica (it will chip off) but I've watched enough episodes of Trading Spaces, Changing Rooms, House Invaders, etc. to know you can do other things. So, my questions are: 1) is there a special type of paint/primer to paint formica, 2) has anyone evey cut out the centers and replace with chicken wire and/or fabric 3) Anyone have other ideas? I know teachers are naturally creative so I'm hoping for great ideas here, Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jul 24, 2003

I am not sure how to paint the cabinets, but you could cut out the centers and put in sand blasted plexiglass. (I don't think that is spelled right.) I have seen this done with inexpensive lights put into the cabints to shine through. This type of glass also keep messy cupboards hidden. You can buy it cheap at a home improvement store and they could recommend someone to sand blast it for you. I don't think it would cost too much.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 24, 2003

oh my, the mess you can make

I also initiated a DIY project that i had once seen on tv. I saw the man paint verticals (window flats)so we did the same and we went to peel them off the plastic paint tarp and each one we put up quickly with a simple click in its place. every one of them had a hand print of the 'lifted/peeled paint'. we were going to replace them if it didnt work anyhow. ( YOU CANT PAINT ON THE FABRIC KIND! IT DOES WORK ON THE FLAT/plastic KIND)

Tonight, i just lifted the carpet and padding and all the tacking in one of the rooms that i am having a professional lay the wood flooring. New home, many projects!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2003

You definitely can paint formica, though I haven't done it myself. My neighbor did hers. Just go to a home improvement store and you will find it in the paint section. You may have to sand lightly first. You could even stencil them after painting. Then again, you could always buy just doors and install them on your existing cabinets. Not as cheap as painting, but might give better results.