Calling all Crockpot cookers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by srfjeld, Feb 5, 2009.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Feb 5, 2009

I posted a thread yesterday asking how people balance finding time for a healthy meal with all the other things you have to do at night.

Well, I got quite a bit of suggestions to use a crockpot, and was even recommended an amazing site about crockpotting all year long. The recipes look amazing!

My question is, how many crockpots do you have at home and for those of you who really get into it... do you ever use more than one at a time? I saw recipes for desserts, side dishes, and main meals...
    I used to have a small crockpot and a large one but my boyfriend thought it was overkill so I got rid of the small one, knowing I'd regret it... well, now I do!

Thanks and Have a great day!!! TGTF (Thank goodness tomorrow's Friday)!

Stephanie

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 5, 2009

I have three crockpots. I'm just now learning to "cook" in them instead of just "warm up".

I mostly use my small one. I'm not sure of the size, but it's perfect for a meal for two. I've used it five times in the last two weeks.

I have one big round one that I take to all of the church & school pot-luck meals. It's way too big for a meal for the two of us.

I have a third one that I got for a wedding present, and it's a large oval one with TWO compartments--one big & one small. I've never used it, but it seems like a neat idea to be able to cook two things separately. The main issue is that it is HUGE, and I don't usually cook for that many people.

I gave my fourth one to my mom. I also got it as a wedding present. It's a large oval, but with only one compartment.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2009

I have 2 right now.

The new one I got has a timer that will switch to warm, or a probe thermometer that you stick in your meat, set the temp, and then it will turn to warm when it is done. IT is awesome, although it is pretty big just for myself. But I typically cook one big meal and eat it all week for lunch and dinner. (Or make something from it, like if I have a roast, I will make wraps and sammies and stir fries and whatever for the rest of the week.)

The other is just a regular round one with no fancy controls. I was going to get rid of it but now that I am a follower of the crockpot lady (its like a religion...) I think I am going to keep it. I also want a little dipper like she has.

5. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Feb 5, 2009

I have one large oval one and a small "Little Dipper" - I'm thinking I'm going to watch for some good sales and try to pick up large one - since I've been using my crock pot a LOT more lately. Silverspoon, I've become slightly obsessed with the crockpot lady too lol - I've made several recipes and loved them all so far! Seems a little crazy to have two (or more crockpots) but with as much as I've been using it lately, it'd be nice! :)

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2009

I have 3 crockpots. I usually only use one at a time and I tend to use different ones to cook certain things. I have a large round one (I got it as a wedding present 23 years ago) and I use it for stews, soups, and beans. I have a smaller oval one that I use for roasts and meats. I just bought a larger oval one that I have not used much. My crockpots came in very handy when we were out of electricity for a week after Hurricane Gustav. We had a generator to run the refrigerator but I could not use the microwave or oven but I was able to cook in my 2 crockpots.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2009

I have two crockpots now. :) I have always had a large crockpot, mostly for soups, beans, roasts and chili. I purchased a smaller one about a month ago and I am really glad I did. In fact, I've got something in it since this morning...pork chops (minus the bones); I am going to serve over white rice. Yum!

Someone sent a link to the Crockpot lady...who has a great site...A YEAR of CROCKPOTTING. Sign up, it's free!
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
    I've never made any desserts or side dishes in any of my crockpots, but I know the Crockpot lady has! Not only does she post the recipe; but she includes a picture of the dish AND the items needed to make the dish. :thumb:

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 5, 2009

[

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009