Calling all crockpot chefs here!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 15, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 15, 2012

Okay so I finally dug out our crockpot and started using it this week.

Just for fun, list what you make that are your favorites!

I made buffalo sauce flavored chicken = easy and delicious (pour half a bottle of the sauce over chicken, push a button, and walk away)! :)

I also made pork chops after cooking them for a few minutes in the regular pan then added cream of chicken soup to cover them and seasonings = delicious and very moist!!

Yesterday I made bbq chicken which was super easy and put them in rolls for an easy sandwich as the main entree.

What do you love to make in the crockpot or which websites do you love to use for ideas? :thumb:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 15, 2012

I put in about 4 chicken breasts & 3 cans of soup. I usually put in 3 cans cream of chicken (recipe calls for 2 & 1 can cream of mushroom). I sometimes substitute the 3rd can with a can of cream of celery or cheddar.

I also put in a roast with a cup of water. Sometimes a package of french onion soup.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 15, 2012

I just did a pork roast this week! It turned into two more meals as well.

1 pork roast, 1 cup chicken broth, 1 onion sliced, fresh garlic cloves to taste (we love garlic, I used 4 whole cloves), and season generously with pepper and thyme. Cook on low for 8 hours. I served it with scalloped potatoes, cranberry sauce and buns.

I then took the leftovers, drained the liquid off and shredded them. Half of the leftovers became bbq pork for sandwiches tonight (poured a generous helping of bbq sauce over the shredded meat and microwaved, then put on hamburger buns, served with salad). I added a generous amount of cumin powder, a dash of chipotle powder, and chopped cilantro to the remaining half and we will be using that for tacos this weekend. I serve tacos with lettuce, cheese, black beans (drain and rinse a can) and salsa on tortillas.

This recipe is also good (most of her blog is as well!):
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/02/crockpot-cranberry-pork-roast.html

5. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 15, 2012

I like to do pulled pork for sandwiches. Get a pork loin out it in with 1/2 cup of water salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. I cook it for six to seven hours then drain and shred the pork then pour a bottle of BBQ sauce over and let it sit in that for one to two more hours. It's super easy, delicious and makes lots of leftovers!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 16, 2012

365 days of crock pot cooking. Try the Chicken Curry, it is to die for.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 16, 2012

yum! thanks for the ideas everyone. :)

have a great weekend!

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2012

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...e-classic-beef-stew-10000000614077/index.html For a classic, this is the BEST beef stew. It's a little bit of prep work, but it is worth it to follow every step. This is the only recipe I don't modify myself - it's so good the way it is.

I also highly recommend this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-C...r_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331893200&sr=1-20 I wish it had more pictures, but it has some really interesting and delicious recipes - the meatloaf is amazing, and there is a great collection of dips and appetizers.

9. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Mar 16, 2012

I make this chicken dish to serve over rice:

4 frozen or fresh chicken breasts
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can corn, drained and rinsed
    1 can Rotel (canned tomatoes with green chiles, found near the canned tomatoes)
    1 tub (8 oz) cream cheese....I use the Philly brand "Santa Fe" cooking cream cheese for an extra kick

Dump in everything on top of the chicken, cook for 6-8 hours, stirring every once in awhile.

Makes great leftovers for lunch! :)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2012

This morning I put this into the slow cooker:
    - 5 seasoned chicken thighs
    - 1/2 large, sweet onion, sliced
    - 1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup
    - 1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
    - 2 cups sliced mushrooms
    - 1/4 cup lemon juice
    - 3 cloves garlic

We'll have with rice and asparagus.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2012

I don't use my crock pot a whole lot because I don't care for "stuff" on my food. I'm a fan of plain foods. I'll cook chicken breasts with broth, celery flakes, and onion flakes. Sometimes I'll make corned beef or chuck roast. The corned beef just gets water and the stuff in the package with it. The chuck roast gets salt, pepper, and beef stock, sometimes onion. I've also made potato soup, broccoli-cheese soup, or mushroom & barley soup.

I have a crock pot recipe book that has a lot of recipes, and there are a lot of sites that people have pinned on Pinterest. I've made several things to take to work or church pot-lucks. They always get good reviews, but I've never tried any of them. (I'm not an adventurous eater.)

12. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 17, 2012

Yo!

Wait, I thought you said crackpot.

Never mind.

13. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Sep 1, 2012

Chicken Taco Soup: first thing I ever made in a crockpot. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-taco-soup/

This is my own beef stew recipe:

-beef stew meat
    -chopped carrots, parsnips, green beans, mushrooms, onions, and potatoes if you like potatoes in your stew. I do not.
    -big can of diced tomatoes with juice
    -1 cup of red wine
    -lots of garlic, a bay leaf, oregano, basil, red pepper, salt to taste

Roll the beef in flour, brown it for a few minutes, then put everything in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. It's SO good.

My chicken curry recipe:

-chicken (form matters not, but boneless is nice)
    -chopped sweet potato, onion, any other vegetables you want to add.
    -can of diced tomatoes
    -fresh garlic, hot curry powder, cumin, cinnamon

Crockpot it on low for 8 hours (you might want to add a cup or so of water to prevent cooking down too much). Serve on rice.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 1, 2012

Italian Pepper steak - sauté stew beef and bell peppers, add to crock pot with can of spaghetti sauce, can of diced tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and Italian seasonings to taste. Serve over pasta or rice. It is a pain to sauté stuff so I usually do that part another night when I'm at the stove cooking something else and put it in the crock pot the next day.

Pork tacos - place pork shoulder roast in crock pot with 1 cup of beef broth, 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 1 cup salsa (your favorite kind/heat), 1tsp garlic powder, 1tsp onion powder, sprinkle generously with salt, 1 tbsp cumin. Cook on low, drain, an shred with 2 forks. Serve as tacos, over salad, or over rice. We usually have it as tacos and I use the leftovers for salad and as a rice bowl for lunches. It is so good!

I use it all the time, I'll post more when I get on my computer (not my phone).

15. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Sep 1, 2012

My Crock Pot favorites are:

Pot Roast w/ potatoes & carrots
    Beef Stew
    Chili
    A variety of soups
    Pork Loin

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2012

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 1, 2012

My husband is doing Mac and cheese in it now.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 1, 2012

In the last 2 weeks this is what I have made in the crockpot:
    French Onion soup
    Cashew chicken
    Chicken with lemon and garlic
    Chicken Curry

I also want to try a chili from a cookbook I got at the library.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2012