Calling all creative minds!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by beanie, Aug 15, 2007.

1. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

We celebrate Father's Day on the first Sunday of September. At our school we make both Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts. Does anyone have any fantastic gifts we could make for Dads?? I haven't really been impressed with anything a Google search has given me! It needs to be cheap (for materials) and pretty easy (I teach grade one/two). I am also in Australia, so that too might not be good for some ideas.

Hope you can help me!:)
    Beanie

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I used to teach kinder & this is what we'd do for Father's Day - I'd have each student paint a portrait of their father. I'd set up the easel, give them a 12x18 sheet of construction paper, and let them paint with tempera paints. I usually gave them a light blue paper & paint colors - red, black, brown, tan (skin), dark blue, white (we didn't have any blonde dads). Before they painted though I explained that a portrait is shoulders and up & I painted my own dad (they all knew my dad & would know that it looked like him). I also went over very clearly that they should not copy mine since their dad does not look like mine. (The teacher next door borrowed my sample but didn't explain it to her kids. I walked into her room & saw a bunch of portraits of MY DAD hanging up! It was really hilarious!)

They also wrote about why their dad is special to them & I glued that paper to the back of the construction paper. Sometimes I laminated it - last year I didn't. But it's an inexpensive gift & the parents love it!

4. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 16, 2007

We write a book for the dads. Each page tells something special about their dad (or uncle or grandfather for those in families without dads). The children really enjoy making the books and the dads love getting something special all their own. You could just provide the writing prompt or beginning idea for them and let them draw and write the rest. Not very cutesy or creative, but it has worked for me!

5. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

When I was in school we made "Daddy Jars". In it we put little paper hearts with reasons why we loved our daddy. We also filled the jar with Hershey's Kisses....the outside said something like "Kisses for Daddy". And on the lid we attached "coupons". They said things like "I will get your tools for you"..."Good for one hug"..."Good for quiet time".

I am 26 and my dad still has his on his dresser!

6. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Since my school has a summer program, we did Father's Day gifts too. This year we made wallets out of paper and put coupons inside--it was fun! I used a 9x9" square of contruction paper in a light color (so drawings would show up on it). The kids folded it in half and then taped each end, to make a long pocket that opened on top. I then showed them how to do a trifold, so it would fold up like a wallet does. We also taped a smaller piece of construction paper to the middle panel to look like a pocket or ID card. The kids then made coupons on strips of paper to put in the wallet, and I tied the wallets up when done with ribbon.

7. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 16, 2007

for christmas we do calendars. i print months jan-dec and the kids decorate a pic for each month and then i bind them together. nothing impressive, but hey what dad couldn't use a calendar?